94' New Yorker Problems (O2 sensor?)

Old September 18th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ryrobes

Default 94' New Yorker Problems (O2 sensor?)

Hey all, I just had a quick question. I've got a 1994 Chrysler New
Yorker and it was it quite good shape (except for the A/C, but hey,
whatever) - suddenly it cranks forever when its a cold start, my gas
mileage went down a notch, and it smells like its running pretty rich
(since with the windows open there is a noticeable gasoline smell).
When its warm it starts right up like normal...

So I was thinking... I'm assuming the O2 sensor is hosed because its
no able to regulate the fuel air mixture properly?

Anyone have any similar experiences? Also, I was told that this
particular model has 3 O2 sensors - how can I test and see which one I
should replace?

Thanks in advance,
Ry
Old September 18th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Road Runner

"Ryrobes" > wrote in message
> Hey all, I just had a quick question. I've got a 1994 Chrysler New
> Yorker and it was it quite good shape (except for the A/C, but hey,
> whatever) - suddenly it cranks forever when its a cold start, my gas
> mileage went down a notch, and it smells like its running pretty rich
> (since with the windows open there is a noticeable gasoline smell).
> When its warm it starts right up like normal...
>
> So I was thinking... I'm assuming the O2 sensor is hosed because its
> no able to regulate the fuel air mixture properly?
>
> Anyone have any similar experiences? Also, I was told that this
> particular model has 3 O2 sensors - how can I test and see which one I
> should replace?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Ry

O2 sensors have no bearing on start up.
Which engine do you have?
I suspect you have a leaking fuel system (smell) that depletes the fuel line
when sitting for a while, causing long crank/hard start. There is a TSB
regarding leaking fuel supply line fittings and injector O rings on the
3.5L. Locate your fuel smell and you will find your problem.

Old September 18th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ryrobes

On Sep 17, 8:39*pm, "Road Runner" > wrote:
> "Ryrobes" > wrote in message

> > Hey all, I just had a quick question. I've got a 1994 Chrysler New
> > Yorker and it was it quite good shape (except for the A/C, but hey,
> > whatever) - suddenly it cranks forever when its a cold start, my gas
> > mileage went down a notch, and it smells like its running pretty rich
> > (since with the windows open there is a noticeable gasoline smell).
> > When its warm it starts right up like normal...

> > So I was thinking... *I'm assuming the O2 sensor is hosed because its
> > no able to regulate the fuel air mixture properly?

> > Anyone have any similar experiences? Also, I was told that this
> > particular model has 3 O2 sensors - how can I test and see which one I
> > should replace?

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Ry

> O2 sensors have no bearing on start up.
> Which engine do you have?
> I suspect you have a leaking fuel system (smell) that depletes the fuel line
> when sitting for a while, causing long crank/hard start. There is a TSB
> regarding leaking fuel supply line fittings and injector O rings on the
> 3.5L. Locate your fuel smell and you will find your problem.

Yup, Its the 3.5L V6 - so you think that the leak is more probable
toward the injectors? I'll check where the leak is and try and locate
the TSB too.
Thanks a lot. Jeez, now I'm slightly more concerned than if it was
just an O2 sensor problem...

Old September 18th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ryrobes

On Sep 17, 9:06*pm, Ryrobes > wrote:
> On Sep 17, 8:39*pm, "Road Runner" > wrote:
>

> > "Ryrobes" > wrote in message

> > > Hey all, I just had a quick question. I've got a 1994 Chrysler New
> > > Yorker and it was it quite good shape (except for the A/C, but hey,
> > > whatever) - suddenly it cranks forever when its a cold start, my gas
> > > mileage went down a notch, and it smells like its running pretty rich
> > > (since with the windows open there is a noticeable gasoline smell).
> > > When its warm it starts right up like normal...

> > > So I was thinking... *I'm assuming the O2 sensor is hosed because its
> > > no able to regulate the fuel air mixture properly?

> > > Anyone have any similar experiences? Also, I was told that this
> > > particular model has 3 O2 sensors - how can I test and see which one I
> > > should replace?

> > > Thanks in advance,
> > > Ry

> > O2 sensors have no bearing on start up.
> > Which engine do you have?
> > I suspect you have a leaking fuel system (smell) that depletes the fuel line
> > when sitting for a while, causing long crank/hard start. There is a TSB
> > regarding leaking fuel supply line fittings and injector O rings on the
> > 3.5L. Locate your fuel smell and you will find your problem.

> Yup, Its the 3.5L V6 - so you think that the leak is more probable
> toward the injectors? I'll check where the leak is and try and locate
> the TSB too.
> Thanks a lot. Jeez, now I'm slightly more concerned than if it was
> just an O2 sensor problem...

Actually I looked it up and the TSB you were referring to looks like a
full recall. Is there a "statute of limitations" on these? It says
that it was issued in 1999... Is Chrysler still obligated to fix this
if its the exact problem mentioned in the bulletin (which I'm
suspecting it is).

http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/...ll_49 20.html

Thanks again - I feel really freaking lucky that you stumbled upon
this post tonight.
Old September 21st 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
man of machines

check the fuel pressure regulator as well i have replaced quite a few of
those for the same complaint
when looking at the o2 sensor if there is oil on the harness then replace
the power steering switch becasue it is leaching inside wires and oil is
traveling down the wires and shorting out the o2 sensor