Best way to replace my stolen airbags?

Old June 29th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Best way to replace my stolen airbags?

"Patrick" <p.j.hughes@sbcglobal(dot)net> wrote in
.com:

> The clock spring is under the steering wheel.

Hmm. I guess the diagrams I was studying weren't too clear on that. It
looked to me like it was part of the airbag assembly.

Now that I think about it, it makes sense that it should be between the
rotating part (the wheel) and the stationary part (the column). Thanks for
the correction.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old June 29th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

It looks like they did a clean surgical removal of both bags.
The yellow 2-pin connector seems intact.
The bolts were left on the floor mat.
Assuming I buy a pair of replacement airbags,
how tricky is it to do the installation myself?
Can a auto body shop do it?

thanks

_Adriano

Old June 30th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Dipsy wrote:
> It looks like they did a clean surgical removal of both bags.
> The yellow 2-pin connector seems intact.
> The bolts were left on the floor mat.
> Assuming I buy a pair of replacement airbags,
> how tricky is it to do the installation myself?
> Can a auto body shop do it?

hard to say without the factory service manual, but i would surmise that
disconnecting the battery and installing the new bags would be how ya do
it.

disconnecting the battery being of utmost importance, of course.
Old June 30th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I have seen some recommendations to remove the fuses that control the SRS
system too. Also let the system sit for 10-15 minutes after the battery is
disconnected and fuses removed. I imagine this applies for when you are
removing the air bag more so than putting it in but it can't hurt. I didn't
have any problems removing mine and putting it back in.

Since you have the screws and the connector is good you shouldn't have a
problem doing it yourself.

. ..

Old June 30th 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I don't know about your year model but the 2001 and later have monitoring
of the air bag systems similar to the engine obdii system, after you
replace the air bags you may have to reset the error codes. If you can't
borrow a factory manual you may be better off taking it to a dealer after
repairs to check error codes and reset if necessary.My manual (2001) says
to disconnect the battery for three minutes before working on the airbags,
it sure sems to be a better idea than disconnecting and reconnecting fuses
because if you are under the hood connecting the battery you are out of
reach of an airbag deployment, but may not be if you are in under the dash
putting fuses back in-- airbags can seriously hurt you. dont take chances!

"Patrick" <p.j.hughes@sbcglobal(dot)net> wrote in
om:

Old June 30th 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

SoCalMike > wrote in
:

> Dipsy wrote:
>> It looks like they did a clean surgical removal of both bags.
>> The yellow 2-pin connector seems intact.
>> The bolts were left on the floor mat.
>> Assuming I buy a pair of replacement airbags,
>> how tricky is it to do the installation myself?
>> Can a auto body shop do it?

> hard to say without the factory service manual, but i would surmise that
> disconnecting the battery and installing the new bags would be how ya do
> it.
>
> disconnecting the battery being of utmost importance, of course.

I have several factory service manuals. I can scan a relevant page tonight
and upload it.

Old June 30th 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

That would be awesome. It's a 1996 Accord sedan EX 4cyl 4dr.
thanks.

Old July 1st 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Dipsy" > wrote in
oups.com:

> TeGGeR® wrote:

>> I have several factory service manuals. I can scan a relevant page
>> tonight and upload it.
>>

> That would be awesome. It's a 1996 Accord sedan EX 4cyl 4dr.
> thanks.

And here y'go...
<http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/manual_scans/accord/96_accord_srs.pdf>

Note to all: I notice I've been posting a fair few scans from the manuals,
so I've moved them all into a new folder called (what else) "manual_scans".
Within that folder are now individual stores for each model.

I see now how the "clock spring" is *most definitely* UNDER the steering
wheel. The diagrams in the '96 Accord manual are far better than those in
the '02 RSX manual, which is what I was studying when I originally posted a
reply to Dipsy.

It looks like the "clock spring" is essentially immune from damage unless a
thief decides to cut the connector off instead of unplugging it.

BTW, I'm gone until at least Wednesday. Being half-Canadian and kinda sorta
half-American, I have to celebrate both Dominion Day and Independence Day
all at the same time (which is hardship, I assure you).

Old July 1st 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dipsy

Cool. Thanks and happy D & I days.

-Adriano