How safe is an AR 166

Old October 16th 04, 09:17 AM
DJ

Default How safe is an AR 166

How safe are the AR 166's in a crash - lets say in a drivers side head on
impact at 40mph , does the AR 166 have effective crumple zones or is the
driver likely to be wearing the break pedals in his chest !!
Generally how are they rated .

Cheers

DJ

Old October 18th 04, 07:18 PM
DJ

"DJ" > wrote in message ...
> How safe are the AR 166's in a crash - lets say in a drivers side head on
> impact at 40mph , does the AR 166 have effective crumple zones or is the
> driver likely to be wearing the break pedals in his chest !!
> Generally how are they rated .
>
> Cheers
>
> DJ

Wow, safety not an issue ! that surprises me a little.

Cheers

Old October 18th 04, 09:12 PM
Zathras

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:18:51 +0100, "DJ" > wrote:

>"DJ" > wrote in message ...
>> How safe are the AR 166's in a crash - lets say in a drivers side head on
>> impact at 40mph , does the AR 166 have effective crumple zones or is the
>> driver likely to be wearing the break pedals in his chest !!
>> Generally how are they rated .
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> DJ
>>

>Wow, safety not an issue ! that surprises me a little.

Why? How many Alfas have been through NCAP? Why? The basic rule of
thumb is *NEVER* crash an Alfa.

If I crash my Alfa I will die. This is a *strong* incentive to drive
carefully and avoid accidents. If you can't drive carefully and avoid
accidents then get a car that offers better protection - there are
plenty out there.

Once purchased, you just have to avoid lorries, busses, high cliffs,
deep water and trees/sign posts which will make mincemeat out of any
car. Don't read on if you're eating but, another fine and rapid way to
die in any car is, driving into a barbed wire fence at an angle (trust
me..I've seen the photos). Anyone for football?...

Scotland
Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
'Oil' be seeing you..
(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
Old October 24th 04, 09:19 PM
DJ

"Zathras" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:18:51 +0100, "DJ" > wrote:
>

> >"DJ" > wrote in message

> >> How safe are the AR 166's in a crash - lets say in a drivers side head

on
> >> impact at 40mph , does the AR 166 have effective crumple zones or is

the
> >> driver likely to be wearing the break pedals in his chest !!
> >> Generally how are they rated .
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> DJ
> >>

> >Wow, safety not an issue ! that surprises me a little.

> Why? How many Alfas have been through NCAP? Why? The basic rule of
> thumb is *NEVER* crash an Alfa.
>
> If I crash my Alfa I will die. This is a *strong* incentive to drive
> carefully and avoid accidents. If you can't drive carefully and avoid
> accidents then get a car that offers better protection - there are
> plenty out there.
>
> Once purchased, you just have to avoid lorries, busses, high cliffs,
> deep water and trees/sign posts which will make mincemeat out of any
> car. Don't read on if you're eating but, another fine and rapid way to
> die in any car is, driving into a barbed wire fence at an angle (trust
> me..I've seen the photos). Anyone for football?...

> Scotland
> Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
> 'Oil' be seeing you..
> (Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)

It's not me, it's those other manics on the road that I worry about .

Old October 25th 04, 09:29 PM
Zathras

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 21:19:28 +0100, "DJ" > wrote:

<snip>
>It's not me, it's those other manics on the road that I worry about .

A deeply unconvincing reply. Anybody that hits *you* will probably say
the same thing.

The trick is to anticipate other road users actions and properly read
the road ahead. It's also possible to be trained to a drive at a
higher safety level. I do/did all this rather than buy a Volvo. YMMV.

Old October 25th 04, 10:50 PM
Ppelectron

><snip>
>>It's not me, it's those other manics on the road that I worry about .

>A deeply unconvincing reply. Anybody that hits *you* will probably say
>the same thing.
>
>The trick is to anticipate other road users actions and properly read
>the road ahead. It's also possible to be trained to a drive at a
>higher safety level. I do/did all this rather than buy a Volvo. YMMV.
>
>--
>Scotland
>Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
>'Oil' be seeing you..
>(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)

There will always be a chance you could be involved in an accident that you
could do nothing about. I had a psycho driver shoot out from a side road onto a
main road in front of me with no warning. They were going fast and I didn't
even have time to brake. Wrote my audi off completely. It is unrealistic to
assume that you would be able to miss all the nutters on the roads. Look in the
Daily Mail today (UK) for a picture of a nutter on the M4 motorway driving up
the middle of a carriageway in rush hour in the wrong direction. The picture
speaks for itself.

Old October 26th 04, 11:04 PM
Zathras

On 25 Oct 2004 21:50:13 GMT, (Ppelectron) wrote:

>><snip>
>>>It's not me, it's those other manics on the road that I worry about .

>>A deeply unconvincing reply. Anybody that hits *you* will probably say
>>the same thing.
>>
>>The trick is to anticipate other road users actions and properly read
>>the road ahead. It's also possible to be trained to a drive at a
>>higher safety level. I do/did all this rather than buy a Volvo. YMMV.
>>
>>--
>>Scotland
>>Alfa Romeo 156 2.4JTD Veloce Leather
>>'Oil' be seeing you..
>>(Email without 'Alfa' in subject are auto-deleted..sorry!)
>>

>There will always be a chance you could be involved in an accident that you
>could do nothing about. I had a psycho driver shoot out from a side road onto a
>main road in front of me with no warning. They were going fast and I didn't
>even have time to brake.

Could you have anticipated the side road (there's usually signs or
some advance warning for these)? If so, you could have anticipated
someone coming out of it. Were you *fully* alert at the time? I don't
mean this as an insult but many drivers drive in a semi-daze and you
have said that a car came out in front of you but you were unable to
brake.

I've been in a similar situation to this (before my anticipation
skills were fine tuned, or I owned an Alfa) and had to do a full-on
emergency stop to avoid someone coming out a side street.
Unfortunately, the hooligan that tried to T-Bone me never saw me as
ABS is silent and I had no chance to take a hand off the wheel to hit
the horn. I just missed hitting him.

!

>It is unrealistic to
>assume that you would be able to miss all the nutters on the roads.

I've managed - and I'm not young either (sadly)!

>Look in the
>Daily Mail today (UK) for a picture of a nutter on the M4 motorway driving up
>the middle of a carriageway in rush hour in the wrong direction. The picture
>speaks for itself.

It's very dramatic but just because there are lunatics on the road
doesn't automatically mean good drivers will crash into them. If you
don't leave enough space in front of your car so you can react and
avoid accidents you get what you deserve in this kind of situation.

Almost all drivers I see on the roads these days are poor drivers and
most of these will have an incredible, unfounded self belief that they
are good drivers. That is my Road Rage theory too!

Old October 27th 04, 12:31 AM
Tony Rickard

"Zathras" wrote:

> It's very dramatic but just because there are lunatics on the road
> doesn't automatically mean good drivers will crash into them. If you
> don't leave enough space in front of your car so you can react and
> avoid accidents you get what you deserve in this kind of situation.

I am sure the *real* bikers here will comment but I discovered teenage 125s
at the tender age of 28 and I reckon it did wonders for my concentration
levels driving a car.

With the mobile entertainment centres commonly known as cars these days the
sheer raw nature of a motorbike really tunes the mind to concentrate, and
IMHO sticks.

Cheers
Tony

Old October 27th 04, 01:02 AM
SteveH

Tony Rickard > wrote:

> "Zathras" wrote:
>
> > It's very dramatic but just because there are lunatics on the road
> > doesn't automatically mean good drivers will crash into them. If you
> > don't leave enough space in front of your car so you can react and
> > avoid accidents you get what you deserve in this kind of situation.

> I am sure the *real* bikers here will comment but I discovered teenage 125s
> at the tender age of 28 and I reckon it did wonders for my concentration
> levels driving a car.
>
> With the mobile entertainment centres commonly known as cars these days the
> sheer raw nature of a motorbike really tunes the mind to concentrate, and
> IMHO sticks.

I shudder at the thought of driving a lot of modern cars - they're so
'safe' and detatched from what's actually going on at the wheels I just
couldn't drive one. The 155 is bad enough!

However, that might be because I ride a 'real' bike, I'm sure most
people mistake feedback for a crude and unrefined car.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - Alfa 155 TS Lusso - COSOC KOTL
Old October 27th 04, 06:54 AM
Catman

Tony Rickard wrote:

> "Zathras" wrote:
>
>> It's very dramatic but just because there are lunatics on the road
>> doesn't automatically mean good drivers will crash into them. If you
>> don't leave enough space in front of your car so you can react and
>> avoid accidents you get what you deserve in this kind of situation.

> I am sure the *real* bikers here will comment but I discovered teenage
> 125s at the tender age of 28 and I reckon it did wonders for my
> concentration levels driving a car.

Enhanced concentrations is the only way to survive on a 125.

> With the mobile entertainment centres commonly known as cars these days
> the sheer raw nature of a motorbike really tunes the mind to concentrate,
> and IMHO sticks.

One would like to think so. Certainly seems to have done for me but what
about london cabbies?

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk