Rented AWD Vue

Old February 7th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
scott[_4_]

Default Rented AWD Vue

I just returned from a snowboarding trip to Denver area, and we rented
a V6 AWD Saturn Vue. I really liked the vehicle ride, size, style,
and we did need AWD because of blowing snow, but I was a bit
dissappointed with the GM versatrak AWD system. It seemed to be a bit
psychotic, sometimes giviing understeer, other times oversteer. I had
read where the system needs front wheel spin to deploy to AWD mode,
but although you couldn't feel it engage with any clunk or anything,
it wasn't seemless AWD I was hoping for. Has anyone had similar
feelings on this system from GM?

I'd like to be able to "toss" a car rally style into a snowy turn and
power through the turn in a four wheel drift if I want to. Although
the 07 Vue didn't appear to have stability control, the psycho nature
of the AWD system did not really lend itself to such spirited
driving. If you "grandma'd" the vehicle, it would go really well in
the snow, but don't ask for high performance from Versatrack in my
experience.

I am a GM fan, but its dissappointing to compare the Versatrack system
to the one in the Toyota RAV4 we rented a few years ago in Canada.
Although the RAV4 was too small, had a sewing machine engine and was
straining to exceed 100kph, its AWD system was freakin' amazing. I
belive it used a viscous clutch sort of transaxle and was always
engaged. It would pull with all 4 wheels instead of 2 or 3 that
appears to be the normal of Versatrak - and it handled really well.

Perhaps one could find the wire to the system engagement and rig a
manual switch to leave it turned on when you wanted, like a 4x4
system?

Scott

Old February 8th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_13_]

I have the AWD Vue and my wife is on her 3rd RAV4. I can tell you the RAV is
an order of magnitude better in AWD behavior. I just had the chance to put
the VUE to the test after Cincinnati received 6+" of snow during evening
rush. About the only thing GMs AWD system seems good for is to help walk you
out AFTER you get stuck. We take the RAV out whenever we want to go
sightseeing after a big (relative) snow and have never worried about getting
it stuck or have it plow around unpredictably like the VUE.

Steve

P.S.: I wonder if Honda's AWD system is any better?
oups.com...

Old February 8th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

A V6 was mentioned for the Vue but not the slightest peep as to if the
Rav4's being compaired are I4's or a v6's. Ever think TORQUE is a
factor? Guess we wont know with omitted info.

In article >,
says...
> I have the AWD Vue and my wife is on her 3rd RAV4. I can tell you the RAV is

3rd already??? Lol

> an order of magnitude better in AWD behavior. I just had the chance to put
> the VUE to the test after Cincinnati received 6+" of snow during evening
> rush. About the only thing GMs AWD system seems good for is to help walk you
> out AFTER you get stuck. We take the RAV out whenever we want to go
> sightseeing after a big (relative) snow and have never worried about getting
> it stuck or have it plow around unpredictably like the VUE.
>
> Steve

Funny how you were touting this AWD system as being a so great...up
until you found out it wasn't made by Honda it seems.