one for the archives

Old September 3rd 11, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default one for the archives

On 09/03/2011 12:43 PM, micky wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 21:38:49 -0700, jim > wrote:
>
>> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
>> buy their crappy product.
>>
>> now you see a gap:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185694
>>
>> now you don't:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185686

> I don't see why this is a problem unless youy have your engine mounted
> upsdie down. If you do, there is a recall notice and the dealer will
> invett if for you, if you are the original owner.

ITYM "right side up." A huge gap isn't generally a problem except under
heavy load. No gap results in no combustion.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old September 3rd 11, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 09/03/2011 01:11 PM, Bill wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
>> buy their crappy product.
>>

> I've bought autolite spark plugs for years and years and never had such
> a problem. But I am getting the proper factory spec replacement plugs. I
> don't know if that has anything to do with it?

Who can say? but in my experience Autolite and Bosch are decent,
Champion decent but don't clean after being fouled, and I pretty much
stay away from "platinum" anything because all my personal vehicles are
fairly aged.

nate

Old September 3rd 11, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J R[_2_]

Autolites are what I use.I have never had any problems with them yet.
cuhulin

Old September 3rd 11, 08:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/03/2011 10:24 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
> On 09/03/2011 01:11 PM, Bill wrote:
>> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>>> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
>>> buy their crappy product.
>>>

>> I've bought autolite spark plugs for years and years and never had such
>> a problem. But I am getting the proper factory spec replacement plugs. I
>> don't know if that has anything to do with it?
>>

> Who can say? but in my experience Autolite and Bosch are decent,
> Champion decent but don't clean after being fouled, and I pretty much
> stay away from "platinum" anything because all my personal vehicles are
> fairly aged.
>
> nate

in my experience, the only plug out there's that's really got its act
together is ngk. quality electrodes, even for the base varieties, good
insulators, good self-cleaning, and the body is decently corrosion
resistant. i've had ngk's work even when they electrodes have been
burned down to little stubs of melted meteorite.

denso still use the detachable plug tops that can cause all kinds of
problems, but are otherwise good.

bosch, while they're fine when they work, have a nasty habit of simply
not working when you go to start the car one morning. i can't forgive
that, and it's happened to me a number of times over the years.

champion have never let me down, but they're do so great in the
corrosion dept, and pretty cheaply made so they don't last and need
frequent replacement.

autolite? utter carp.

delco? like autolite only not as good.

regarding "platinum" or other fine electrode materials, there is no
reason to not use these in an older vehicle. indeed, there are
benefits, particularly on carburetted systems, because they're generally
able to fire in a broader range of mixtures, temperatures and with a
broader range of voltages than traditional plugs. basically, the finer
the electrode, the higher the spark ignition efficacy - which is what
you want in a plug. the only reason you don't make traditional plugs
with fine electrodes is that the cheaper materials can't cope, not that
they wouldn't benefit from having them.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old September 3rd 11, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/03/2011 01:27 PM, hachiroku wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 21:38:49 -0700, jim beam wrote:
>
>> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
>> buy their crappy product.
>>
>> now you see a gap:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185694
>>
>> now you don't:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185686
>>
>> seriously, what kind of manufacturing short cuts could /possibly/
>> facilitate this kind of failure mode? ridiculous.

> I resolve these issues by buying NGK or ND plugs. Since I have Jap cars
> anyway.
>
> I used them in a Chrysler, too.

i love this - perpetuation of myths about "german cars need german
plugs" , with the equivalent for japanese and domestic, is utterly baseless.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old September 3rd 11, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 13:23:12 -0400, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>On 09/03/2011 12:43 PM, micky wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 21:38:49 -0700, jim > wrote:
>>
>>> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
>>> buy their crappy product.
>>>
>>> now you see a gap:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185694
>>>
>>> now you don't:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185686

>> I don't see why this is a problem unless youy have your engine mounted
>> upsdie down. If you do, there is a recall notice and the dealer will
>> invett if for you, if you are the original owner.

>ITYM "right side up." A huge gap isn't generally a problem except under
>heavy load. No gap results in no combustion.
>
>nate

You make a good point. Maybe he NEEDS to have his engine mounted
upside down. He'll have to pay for it, but it shoudln't be too much.
Old September 3rd 11, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 10:00:22 -0700, jim beam > wrote:

>On 09/03/2011 09:43 AM, micky wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 21:38:49 -0700, jim > wrote:
>>
>>> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
>>> buy their crappy product.
>>>
>>> now you see a gap:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185694
>>>
>>> now you don't:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185686

>> I don't see why this is a problem unless youy have your engine mounted
>> upsdie down.

>even if you don't have any at the present, you need to look up "spacial
>reasoning" and see if you can find some exercises which will help you
>develop this crucial ability. particularly if you're planning on having
>anything to do with 3-dimensional objects.

Hey, I"m workin gon 4 and 5 dimensional objects now. -)

Old September 3rd 11, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hachiroku

Old September 4th 11, 12:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
aemeijers

On 9/3/2011 4:27 PM, hachiroku wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 21:38:49 -0700, jim beam wrote:
>
>> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
>> buy their crappy product.
>>
>> now you see a gap:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185694
>>
>> now you don't:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185686
>>
>> seriously, what kind of manufacturing short cuts could /possibly/
>> facilitate this kind of failure mode? ridiculous.

> I resolve these issues by buying NGK or ND plugs. Since I have Jap cars
> anyway.
>
> I used them in a Chrysler, too.

IIRC, in the early days, all spark plugs used to be imported (probably
from Germany?)- that is why they were the only part in the (US-built)
car with metric threads. Or is that an urban myth?

--
aem sends...
Old September 4th 11, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"aemeijers" > wrote in message news:m6->
> IIRC, in the early days, all spark plugs used to be imported (probably
> from Germany?)- that is why they were the only part in the (US-built)
> car with metric threads. Or is that an urban myth?
>
> --

The first commercially viable ones were supposedly made
by Bosch.