TeGGeR's appraisal!

Old June 28th 05, 01:45 AM
TeGGeR®

Default TeGGeR's appraisal!

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/appraisal/index.html

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old June 28th 05, 05:43 AM
Michael Pardee

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/appraisal/index.html
>
> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

I like it. It reminds me of the appraisal given by Mark Salem, of Salem
Brothers auto repair in the Phoenix area. He was on the radio, doing a show
on car care and repair, when somebody asked whether Mark thought the car was
worth a major repair.

Mark Salem's appraisal was: figure the lease payments for a car to provide
the service your car is providing - compact, full size, van, etc. Then
compare it against the cost of repair. For example, if facing a $1500
transmission repair and a replacement lease car is $300 per month, after
five months the transmission repair is water under the bridge and you are
saving $300 per month (less other repair costs). Leave routine maintenance
costs out of the picture, because all cars need that.

I also like the preventive repairs you mention. It took me a while, but I
finally came around to the "overhaul" approach. One CV boot torn? The other
side isn't far behind so that's a good time to do both sides. The increase
in reliability is amazing when half the repairs are done before there is
actually a failure.

Mike

Old June 29th 05, 01:48 AM
Vlad

On 28 Jun 2005 00:45:46 GMT, "TeGGeR®" > wrote:

>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/appraisal/index.html

Interesting specially since you are talking about the same car I have
.. The main difference being that I have 1/3 of your mileage.
I have been debating if I should keep it or trading it for a new
Acura.

It just happens that I have in my garage a Jag XJS 1978 that I started
rebuilding but I run out of enthusiasm. My age also became a factor
(76)

I ask a local paint shop to estimate the cost of repainting my Integra
with a different color . The answer was 2,200 provided that I do some
minor work, like removing the door panels.
I proposed to give him my Jaguar in exchange for his Integra work.
He is coming to look a the Jag before making a decision.

Vlad

Old June 29th 05, 03:11 AM
TeGGeR®

Vlad > wrote in
:

> On 28 Jun 2005 00:45:46 GMT, "TeGGeR®" > wrote:
>
>>http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/appraisal/index.html

> Interesting specially since you are talking about the same car I have
> . The main difference being that I have 1/3 of your mileage.
> I have been debating if I should keep it or trading it for a new
> Acura.

For a car of its age, you have lo-miles. This adds to the value.

> It just happens that I have in my garage a Jag XJS 1978 that I started
> rebuilding but I run out of enthusiasm. My age also became a factor
> (76)

My mother is 78 and will not even *look* at a computer, and here you are
posting to Usenet. You are to be commended for your willingness to keep up
with those young whippersnappers whizzing around you.

> I ask a local paint shop to estimate the cost of repainting my Integra
> with a different color . The answer was 2,200 provided that I do some
> minor work, like removing the door panels.
> I proposed to give him my Jaguar in exchange for his Integra work.
> He is coming to look a the Jag before making a decision.

If the Jag is straight and complete (even if in pieces), you're offering
him a potentially good deal there. A condition-3 XJ-S automatic is about
$1,400. A manual is about double that. If no corrosion, you can add at
least a grand to those prices.

If the body shop will not give you what you want, list the car privately on
eBay or AutoTrader instead, then use the cash to get the Integra painted.
Good luck.