Help requested with Bushing Problems

Old May 31st 05, 10:05 PM

Default Help requested with Bushing Problems

So I bring my cars in for new tires and alignment. They put the tires
on, but tell me I've got a problem with both front bushings.

Stupid question time: What exactly are bushings, and how badly do they
need to be fixed. Basically, I intend to replace the car ('99 Jetta,
83,000 miles) before the end of the year and would prefer not to put
any unnecessary money into the car. On the other hand, if this is a
serious safty concern, it's gotta be fixed.

Thanks for any advice and info,
Asscer

Old May 31st 05, 10:44 PM
Shep

Uh, what are these bushings attached to/called?
oups.com...

Old May 31st 05, 11:59 PM
Nate Nagel

Shep wrote:
> Uh, what are these bushings attached to/called?
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>So I bring my cars in for new tires and alignment. They put the tires
>>on, but tell me I've got a problem with both front bushings.
>>
>>Stupid question time: What exactly are bushings, and how badly do they
>>need to be fixed. Basically, I intend to replace the car ('99 Jetta,
>>83,000 miles) before the end of the year and would prefer not to put
>>any unnecessary money into the car. On the other hand, if this is a
>>serious safty concern, it's gotta be fixed.
>>
>>Thanks for any advice and info,
>>Asscer

I'm assuming he is actually referring to the strut bearings (at the top
of the struts) the control arm bushings rarely go bad but the strut
bearings are regular maintenance items at least on cars not equipped
with the later "VR6" style strut bearings. Only other bushings in the
front end are for the sway bar AFAIK and those shouldn't affect
alignment (but are easy to replace if necessary)

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old June 1st 05, 01:20 AM

Shep wrote:
> Uh, what are these bushings attached to/called?

Whoops. Sorry about that. According to the report, it's the Control Arm
Bushings. And under Control Arm Bushings, there are three possible
check boxes (Upper, Lower and Left/Right). They marked the Lower ones
as being bad.

Thanks,
Asscer