cruise control trouble shooting

Old May 29th 05, 11:18 PM
No body

Default cruise control trouble shooting

Hi all,

I have a 90 burb w/ 350 r1500.

Bought the truck used a couple of years ago. the cruise was not working.
found that the vacuum ball was cracked. finaly got one and plugged it in
(from a ford) and went for a drive. hit the button and nadda.

can somebody help with the trouble shooting or is there a web site with the
info?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Old May 30th 05, 12:19 AM
JazzMan

No body wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a 90 burb w/ 350 r1500.
>
> Bought the truck used a couple of years ago. the cruise was not working.
> found that the vacuum ball was cracked. finaly got one and plugged it in
> (from a ford) and went for a drive. hit the button and nadda.
>
> can somebody help with the trouble shooting or is there a web site with the
> info?
>
> Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Most common problem I've seen is one or more bad microswitches
inside the turn signal stalk. A bad switch on the brake
pedal is not too uncommon either.

JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
Old May 30th 05, 12:46 AM
No body

Easy to get to? any special tools?

Old May 30th 05, 01:42 AM
JazzMan

Get a known-good turn signal stalk and plug
it into the connector under the dash after
unplugging the one that's there already. Drape
the stalk over the column and go for a drive.
Use the second stalk's controls to see if you get
cruise. If so, then you've found the problem. On
installing, I've found that about half the time I
can cut and use the old stalk wire to pull the
new stalk wire down through the column. The other
half of the time I end up having to disassemble
the column partially to route the wire.

Before getting that far into the thought process,
plug in a spare first to see if that's the real
problem.

The switches on the pedal are easy to get to.

JazzMan

Old May 30th 05, 01:50 AM
No body

can I just short out the 2 wires to kick it in?

Where are they under the dash? color? Thx

Old May 30th 05, 01:57 AM
JazzMan

It doesn't work that way. The functions in the
stalk include turning the cruise on, setting
accel and setting decel. The shape of the
connector is such that it would be difficult
or impossible to just "short" the various
terminals together to activate and work the
cruise.

JazzMan

Old May 30th 05, 02:22 AM
No body

Ok.

Well, never having done this before, where does the stalk plug into? You
mentioned under the dash...

Thx

Old May 30th 05, 04:59 AM
JazzMan

Here's a schematic for the '88 Fiero, the stalk
part of it should be the same as yours. What may
be different is the control module function is
probably built into the ECM. Look for a black
wire coming from the steering column and follow
that to the connector which should look like the
picture he

http://web2.airmail.net/jsavage1/for...talk_schematic

JazzMan