Broken Springs

Old March 30th 05, 04:06 PM
D. Dub

Default Broken Springs

1997 Escort Wagon with broken springs.

Any safety concerns driving with broken springs?

Old March 30th 05, 10:10 PM

It will throw off your alignment which most likely will ruin your
tires. Other than that probably not much. I probably drove on mine
for close to a year before I even noticed, and even then I only noticed
because of the aforementioned tire wear problem. Car rides much better
with new struts and springs now.

Old March 30th 05, 11:42 PM
Kevin Bottorff

Mike Romain > wrote in news:424ACA3E.4CA88C15
@sympatico.ca:

> Hoo boy, where to start.....
>
> Are you serious?
>
> Ok, figuring you are. If they are leafs, then the wrong bump on the
> remaining main can bend it maybe causing the body to hit the tire
> blowing the tire.
>
> Even if it doesn't bend the main, the main can still maybe move/flex

too
> much doing the same damage.
>
> If they are coil springs, then the wrong bump can pop them out sideways
> jamming into the tire or rim blowing it or stopping it from moving.
>
> If either one causes the tire to grab the body or spring and stop, you
> will spin totally out of control.
>
> If you hit the wrong series of bumps, the lack of spring action can
> cause the vehicle to bounce totally out of control something like a
> vehicle with no shocks. The shocks are mated to the spring rate.
>
> If a bump is hit wrong with no spring action, the shock can maybe

bottom
> which will punch it through the body. That happened to a friend with a
> Camaro and bad springs. His shocks punched right through the back
> seat! Thankfully no one was sitting there.
>
> Or maybe absolutely nothing will happen.....
>
> My $0.02,
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>
> "D. Dub" wrote:
>>
>> 1997 Escort Wagon with broken springs.
>>
>> Any safety concerns driving with broken springs?

the rears of a escort are struts, none of that other than poor handling
are going to happen. KB

--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup
Old April 1st 05, 06:50 PM

"the rears of a escort are struts, none of that other than poor
handling
are going to happen."

On may car having only one rear spring broke threw off the rear camber
enough to riun tires. Having both broken might only throw it off a
little.

Broken Springs D. Dub Technology 2 April 1st 05 04:07 AM
leaf springs [email protected] Corvette 3 March 10th 05 10:42 PM
Squeaking Leaf Springs Len Ford Explorer 1 March 8th 05 04:20 AM
92 SL2 - Broken Odometer/Trip Meter Elson Trinidad Saturn 2 January 10th 05 03:52 AM
getting the right springs Gerard Antique cars 0 September 15th 03 06:30 PM