Bulk vs. Bottled oil at places like Jiffy Lube

Old August 15th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
[email protected][_1_]

Default Bulk vs. Bottled oil at places like Jiffy Lube

I am on the road often enough where I need to get my oil changed at
Jiffy Lube or other convenient type of oil change place. Is there any
quality or performance difference between the bulk oil they use or the
optional bottled oil (penzoil) that they offer for $10-$15 more?
I have heard many horror stories regarding Jiffy Lube, although I
guess I am lucky with 220K on my Honda Accord. Taking my car to the
dealer just for an oil change on the road seems ridiculous. Just
wondeingr what others look for in an oil-change place to insure
quality work (those who fear Jiffy Lube) when they can't do it
themselves.
Thanks

Old August 15th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Al[_7_]

wrote:
> I am on the road often enough where I need to get my oil changed at
> Jiffy Lube or other convenient type of oil change place. Is there any
> quality or performance difference between the bulk oil they use or the
> optional bottled oil (penzoil) that they offer for $10-$15 more?
> I have heard many horror stories regarding Jiffy Lube, although I
> guess I am lucky with 220K on my Honda Accord. Taking my car to the
> dealer just for an oil change on the road seems ridiculous. Just
> wondeingr what others look for in an oil-change place to insure
> quality work (those who fear Jiffy Lube) when they can't do it
> themselves.
> Thanks

Around here the Honda dealers typically charge from 22.95 to 25.99 for
an oil change and generally get you out within an hour. I personally
have never been in a quick change place, but everyone I know who goes to
them always seem to end up with a bill of 40 or more. There is nothing
inherently wrong with bulk oil, so long as what's in the barrel is
what's supposed to be in it. I'm sure some dealerships use bulk, but
I'd feel more confident that it's what it is supposed to be - and you
get a Honda brand filter instead of ???.
Old August 16th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
dan

wrote:
> I am on the road often enough where I need to get my oil changed at
> Jiffy Lube or other convenient type of oil change place. Is there any
> quality or performance difference between the bulk oil they use or the
> optional bottled oil (penzoil) that they offer for $10-$15 more?
> I have heard many horror stories regarding Jiffy Lube, although I
> guess I am lucky with 220K on my Honda Accord. Taking my car to the
> dealer just for an oil change on the road seems ridiculous. Just
> wondeingr what others look for in an oil-change place to insure
> quality work (those who fear Jiffy Lube) when they can't do it
> themselves.
> Thanks

The bulk oil is the same as what's in the bottles. I have actually
delivered the stuff into the tanks. The good Lube places will have all
the grades, i.e. 0-30, 5-30, 10-30, 10-40 or whatever. The bad places
just order 10-30 and put it in every car, but they are usually auto
shops, not lube places. In my opinion, they charge way too much anymore
for an oil change and many use the cheapest oil filters to boot.

If Pennzoil is the optional "upgrade" oil, then what crap is in the bulk
tank? I bet they are just milking the customer even more with that line.

dan
Old August 16th 07, 09:22 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Bucky[_1_]

On Aug 15, 2:57 pm, wrote:
> I am on the road often enough where I need to get my oil changed at
> Jiffy Lube or other convenient type of oil change place.

Don't ever take your car to Jiffy Lube. They've been busted by local
news for not changing oil filters.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

Old August 16th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
z[_1_]

On Aug 15, 5:57 pm, wrote:
> I am on the road often enough where I need to get my oil changed at
> Jiffy Lube or other convenient type of oil change place. Is there any
> quality or performance difference between the bulk oil they use or the
> optional bottled oil (penzoil) that they offer for $10-$15 more?
> I have heard many horror stories regarding Jiffy Lube, although I
> guess I am lucky with 220K on my Honda Accord. Taking my car to the
> dealer just for an oil change on the road seems ridiculous. Just
> wondeingr what others look for in an oil-change place to insure
> quality work (those who fear Jiffy Lube) when they can't do it
> themselves.
> Thanks

The biggest variable is the local managers of the shops, as well as
the dealers, as well as other chains, as well as independent
mechanics. The secon biggest variable is the talent of whoever's doing
the work. You don't think the dealer is putting his best men on the
problem of oil changing, I hope. I've had lube chains screw up the
plug and/or the filter so bad that the dealer couldn't deal with it,
and I've had other chains manage to fix the screwed up plug and/or
filter that the dealer couldn't fix.

That said, I've gone back to my original idea, which is that it's bad
practice to let other people do this kind of stuff. I got one of those
valves that go into the plug to make it easier.

Old August 16th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article >, dan >
> wrote:
>
>> If Pennzoil is the optional "upgrade" oil, then what crap is in the bulk
>> tank? I bet they are just milking the customer even more with that line.

> Either the bulk stuff is all one grade--and cheap to boot--or else
> they're charging $15 for the privilege of your being able to watch it
> come out of the sealed, name-brand bottles.
>
> My guess is the former.

Your guess would be wrong. As someone who has actually worked at a JL
(needed money while in school and they were hiring) I can say that the
bulk is NOT all the same grade. Yes it is cheaper, because they are
OWNED by an oil company and the franchises get a discount off wholesale
prices as well. The normal stock is Shell 5W30, 10W30, 15W50 Rotella,
Dexron II and ATF. They also stock bulk synthetic in 5W30 and 10W30.

The reason the bottles are more money is real easy. Personal preference.
Some people don't like Shell oil and prefer Pennzoil. They are also
convinced that the bulk oil HAS to be garbage so they buy the Pennzoil,
thinking it is better.
Royal Dutch / Shell (SOPUS) owns Quaker State and Pennzoil.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old August 16th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

Steve W. wrote:
> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>> In article >, dan >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> If Pennzoil is the optional "upgrade" oil, then what crap is in the
>>> bulk tank? I bet they are just milking the customer even more with
>>> that line.

>> Either the bulk stuff is all one grade--and cheap to boot--or else
>> they're charging $15 for the privilege of your being able to watch it
>> come out of the sealed, name-brand bottles.
>>
>> My guess is the former.
>>

> Your guess would be wrong. As someone who has actually worked at a JL
> (needed money while in school and they were hiring) I can say that the
> bulk is NOT all the same grade. Yes it is cheaper, because they are
> OWNED by an oil company and the franchises get a discount off wholesale
> prices as well. The normal stock is Shell 5W30, 10W30, 15W50 Rotella,
> Dexron II and ATF. They also stock bulk synthetic in 5W30 and 10W30.
>
> The reason the bottles are more money is real easy. Personal preference.
> Some people don't like Shell oil and prefer Pennzoil. They are also
> convinced that the bulk oil HAS to be garbage so they buy the Pennzoil,
> thinking it is better.
> Royal Dutch / Shell (SOPUS) owns Quaker State and Pennzoil.

pretty sure they also own iffy lube...
Old August 17th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

jim beam wrote:
> Steve W. wrote:
>
>> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> Either the bulk stuff is all one grade--and cheap to boot--or else
>>> they're charging $15 for the privilege of your being able to watch it
>>> come out of the sealed, name-brand bottles.
>>>
>>> My guess is the former.
>>>

>> Your guess would be wrong. As someone who has actually worked at a JL
>> (needed money while in school and they were hiring) I can say that the
>> bulk is NOT all the same grade. Yes it is cheaper, because they are
>> OWNED by an oil company and the franchises get a discount off
>> wholesale prices as well. The normal stock is Shell 5W30, 10W30, 15W50
>> Rotella, Dexron II and ATF. They also stock bulk synthetic in 5W30 and
>> 10W30.
>>
>> The reason the bottles are more money is real easy. Personal
>> preference. Some people don't like Shell oil and prefer Pennzoil. They
>> are also convinced that the bulk oil HAS to be garbage so they buy the
>> Pennzoil, thinking it is better.
>> Royal Dutch / Shell (SOPUS) owns Quaker State and Pennzoil.
>>

> pretty sure they also own iffy lube...

If JL stocks different grades of oil, why are they incapable of
understanding that VW engines don't like 10W30? I gave up on JL years
ago even though my cars weren't anything special simply because I got
sick of listening to the lifters clatter. This is not an issue specific
to one location either, I am stubborn and kept going back and insisting
on 10W40 or 15W50 and kept getting the wrong stuff. The convenience of
a quick, no-appointment oil change is nice, but ONLY IF THEY DO IT RIGHT!

The last straw was when they filled my windshield washer bottle with
water. In December. Right before I left to visit my family in PA for
Christmas. Never went back after that.

Basically, my advice is, if you care about your car, you will not go to
Jiffy Lube under any circumstances. I don't think I've ever had a GOOD
experience there; simply technicians trying to upsell me with overpriced
air filters ("your air filter is dirty" even though I know they didn't
check it as it's under the AFM/fuel distributor,) wiper blades, etc. and
pointing out that the oil pan gasket on my 240K mile beater is weeping a
little oil. I've also had to remind them to check the gear oil in the
transaxle, even though it's on their checklist (at one point in time, I
had a leaking output shaft seal that didn't go away with a new seal, and
I didn't have time to change out the transaxle for a couple months.)
The best I've had is a "not too bad" experience, but now that I have my
own garage I don't have any use for 'em. My FLAPS takes my drain oil,
too, and a DIY oil change with Rotella and a Wix filter costs less than
a JL oil change.

A good, trusted mechanic can't be beat, JL is for people who like
wasting money. If you're not going to do it yourself, suck it up, make
an appointment, wait a couple hours (or better yet, find one near work
and drop it off in the morning.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old August 17th 07, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.

jim beam wrote:
> Steve W. wrote:
>> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> Either the bulk stuff is all one grade--and cheap to boot--or else
>>> they're charging $15 for the privilege of your being able to watch it
>>> come out of the sealed, name-brand bottles.
>>>
>>> My guess is the former.
>>>

>> Your guess would be wrong. As someone who has actually worked at a JL
>> (needed money while in school and they were hiring) I can say that the
>> bulk is NOT all the same grade. Yes it is cheaper, because they are
>> OWNED by an oil company and the franchises get a discount off
>> wholesale prices as well. The normal stock is Shell 5W30, 10W30, 15W50
>> Rotella, Dexron II and ATF. They also stock bulk synthetic in 5W30 and
>> 10W30.
>>
>> The reason the bottles are more money is real easy. Personal
>> preference. Some people don't like Shell oil and prefer Pennzoil. They
>> are also convinced that the bulk oil HAS to be garbage so they buy the
>> Pennzoil, thinking it is better.
>> Royal Dutch / Shell (SOPUS) owns Quaker State and Pennzoil.
>>

> pretty sure they also own iffy lube...

Yep, Which is why they stock bulk Shell oil and upgrade is Pennzoil.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Old August 17th 07, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
z[_1_]

On Aug 16, 2:58 pm, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" >
wrote:
> In article .com>,
>
> wrote:
> > I am on the road often enough where I need to get my oil changed at
> > Jiffy Lube or other convenient type of oil change place.

> Dealerships are everywhere, and they know they need to compete with
> those guys.
>
> There is absolutely no NEED to get your oil changed at places like Jiffy
> Lube. And frankly, it can wait another 500 miles until you get home.

Geez yeah; my rule is never do anything to the car when you can't
afford to have it fail the next day. If not while still on the
operating table. All these guys who "need to get a tune-up before we
go on vacation tomorrow", living on the edge.

Like your Jiffy Lube? pws[_1_] Mazda 10 July 13th 07 02:52 AM
Jiffy Lube rips customers off JohnH Driving 2 June 14th 06 01:09 AM
Why are we surprised? (Jiffy Lube TV exposé) Bill Putney Chrysler 50 June 8th 06 07:09 PM
Beware of Jiffy Lube Coasty Jeep 23 May 29th 06 04:05 AM
JIFFY LUBE fu AGAIN BOB URZ Dodge 54 July 6th 04 04:34 AM