one for the archives

Old September 4th 11, 05:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

Default one for the archives

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 10:06:19 -0500, "hls" > wrote:

>"aemeijers" > wrote in message news:m6->
>> IIRC, in the early days, all spark plugs used to be imported (probably
>> from Germany?)- that is why they were the only part in the (US-built)
>> car with metric threads. Or is that an urban myth?
>>
>> --

>The first commercially viable ones were supposedly made
>by Bosch.

Neat sparkplug site.
http://sparkplugsite.awardspace.biz/

--Vic
Old September 4th 11, 08:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J R[_2_]

The spark plugs in my 1914 Ford Model T can be taken apart (with two
wrenches) in three seperate pieces for easy cleaning.A lot of old timey
spark plugs were really weird looking.
cuhulin

Old September 4th 11, 08:25 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

aemeijers wrote:
> On 9/3/2011 4:27 PM, hachiroku wrote:
>> On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 21:38:49 -0700, jim beam wrote:
>>
>>> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
>>> buy their crappy product.
>>>
>>> now you see a gap:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185694
>>>
>>> now you don't:
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185686
>>>
>>> seriously, what kind of manufacturing short cuts could /possibly/
>>> facilitate this kind of failure mode? ridiculous.

>> I resolve these issues by buying NGK or ND plugs. Since I have Jap cars
>> anyway.
>>
>> I used them in a Chrysler, too.
>>

> IIRC, in the early days, all spark plugs used to be imported (probably
> from Germany?)- that is why they were the only part in the (US-built)
> car with metric threads. Or is that an urban myth?

Yes and no:

"The first production Model T Ford was assembled in Detroit
on October 1, 1908. With it came Henry Ford�s intrusion into
spark plugs. DeDion had previously set the standard threads
for plugs at 18 mm and at the same time the first Model T
rolled off the line the American Licensed Automobile
Manufacturers (ALAM, forerunner of the SAE) chose the 7/8-18
thread as the standard, but Henry had a dislike for metrics
and the ALAM so he introduced the � inch pipe thread spark
plug in the Model T."

from:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1203951468

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>
Old September 5th 11, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

AMuzi wrote:
> aemeijers wrote:

>>> I resolve these issues by buying NGK or ND plugs. Since I have Jap cars
>>> anyway.
>>>
>>> I used them in a Chrysler, too.
>>>

>> IIRC, in the early days, all spark plugs used to be imported (probably
>> from Germany?)- that is why they were the only part in the (US-built)
>> car with metric threads. Or is that an urban myth?
>>

> Yes and no:
>
> "The first production Model T Ford was assembled in Detroit on October
> 1, 1908. With it came Henry Ford?s intrusion into spark plugs. DeDion
> had previously set the standard threads for plugs at 18 mm and at the
> same time the first Model T rolled off the line the American Licensed
> Automobile Manufacturers (ALAM, forerunner of the SAE) chose the 7/8-18
> thread as the standard, but Henry had a dislike for metrics and the ALAM
> so he introduced the ? inch pipe thread spark plug in the Model T."
>
> from:
> http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1203951468

Actually a LOT of early engines/tractors/autos used different plug sizes.
The "common" ones were 3/4" NPT, 1" NPT, 7/8 -18 and 18MM.

There are also several makes that used units made in house by the
companies themselves.

--
Steve W.
Old September 6th 11, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ben91932

On Sep 2, 9:38*pm, jim beam > wrote:
> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. *no need to remind me to never
> buy their crappy product.

The base electrode is way worn.. I'd guess the plug has 30 or 40,000
miles on it?
I have seen this failure mode numerous times on a variety of plugs.

BTW, the deposits look pretty thick... are you running cheap gas?
Autolites are not my personal choice, but my opinion is that the plug
was left in way too long.

HTH,
Ben
Old September 6th 11, 04:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/06/2011 08:34 AM, ben91932 wrote:
> On Sep 2, 9:38�pm, jim > wrote:
>> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. �no need to remind me to never
>> buy their crappy product.

> The base electrode is way worn.. I'd guess the plug has 30 or 40,000
> miles on it?
> I have seen this failure mode numerous times on a variety of plugs.

which ones? have you ever seen it on ngk?

i'd need a diamond wheel to section this plug and examine it properly,
but i'd be interested to research this failure. spark plugs are largely
"old technology", so it would be interesting to see if this has been
implemented as part of a life limitation program to keep sales ticking
along.

> BTW, the deposits look pretty thick... are you running cheap gas?

no idea what the owner is running. all i know is that it's largely a
town car, so it doesn't get warmed to freeway temperature - where
cleaning best happens - very often.

> Autolites are not my personal choice, but my opinion is that the plug
> was left in way too long.

it's a girlfriend's car. basically, it only gets attention when
something stops working. it's a [stereotypical] m.o. i'm sure you've
seen many times.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old September 7th 11, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
J R[_2_]

Ford is, or was, working on laser technology to replace spark plugs.
cuhulin