87 4 runner overheating/no heat

Old October 11th 04, 06:55 PM
Scott

Default 87 4 runner overheating/no heat

i had a blown head gasket in my 22re 4runner. i replaced the whole top
end. new head, new cam, new valves. everything went fine for like 3
weeks and now its overheating badly. there is no coolant in the oil
and no oil in the coolant. truck runs good forlike 10 mins and then
the temp guage shoots up to red and the overflow tanks boiles. the
doesnt work either. can somone please shine some light on this
problem. i realy dont feel like having to replace a bottom end now.
email me if you have any ideas. thanks.
Old October 11th 04, 07:37 PM
Roger Brown

Scott wrote:

> i had a blown head gasket in my 22re 4runner. i replaced the whole top
> end. new head, new cam, new valves. everything went fine for like 3
> weeks and now its overheating badly. there is no coolant in the oil
> and no oil in the coolant. truck runs good forlike 10 mins and then
> the temp guage shoots up to red and the overflow tanks boiles. the
> doesnt work either. can somone please shine some light on this
> problem. i realy dont feel like having to replace a bottom end now.
> email me if you have any ideas. thanks.

Did you determine and correct the cause of the initial blown head
gastet? If not, its likely done it again. You can see if its an
exhaust gas leak into the cooling system with the info. below:

http://www.arrowheadradiator.com/hea..._leak_test.htm
Most of the time head gaskets don't just blow on their own, something
gives them a helping hand, so to speak. They are usually a symptom of
an underlying problem.

You state
"the doesnt work either"
The "what" doesn't work either?

Probable causes are a clogged radiator, collapsing lower radiator hose,
worn water pump, bad thermostat, bad fan clutch, or an engine running
with bad timing or fuel/air mixture, etc.. Figure out what is wrong and
fix it. What causes the overheating? High or low speed driving,
prolonged idling, hot or cold outside temps, high engine load, etc.?

--
Roger
Old October 11th 04, 10:07 PM
Roger Brown

> Tiger _ wrote:
> >
> > sorry bout that. the heat doesnt work either. doesnt work at all. and it
> > overheats at all running elements. idling and driving. thermostat is brand
> > new along with radiator hoses. when it does get hot both radiator hoses get
> > extremely hot and hard.

Does it first overflow to the recovery then the temp rises, or does the
temp rise then the coolant overflows? Also do you hear any gurgling
sounds in the heater core with the heater on and the engine revved?

Sounds for sure like you are getting exhaust pressurizing the cooling
system. If you don't want to do the chemical test route, have the
cooling system pressure tested at a shop. They can tell if the radiator
is being pressurized by the exhaust.

> > >From: Roger Brown >

> > >Subject: 87 4 runner overheating/no heat
> > >Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 11:37:53 -0700

if you have any ideas. thanks.

Old October 11th 04, 10:30 PM
Roger Brown

Tiger _ wrote:

> it immediately start bubbling in the overflow. theres no sound from the
> heater core and the hosses going to the heater core arent getting warm. if
> it is the exhaust preasurizing the cooling system where does this leak
> usualy take place and how much of a pain is it to repair. thanks for all
> your help roger i really appreciate it!

Its usually the head gasket, or possibly a cracked or warped block
(since you said the head had been replaced) or possibly improperly
torqued head bolts (don't laugh, it happened to me, Toyota dealer shop
left two bolts not much more than finger tight on a replacement head
they installed for me!). Did it immedeately start doing this after the
head was replaced or did it start some time later? If later, what
happened immedeately preceding the no-heat symptoms? To repair it, you
replace the head gasket at a minimum,

--
Roger

E46 cabin heat Mark A. Chambers BMW 8 January 19th 05 10:02 AM
90 4 Runner parting out in VA scooter 4x4 0 February 28th 04 05:44 AM
Toyota 4 Runner [both 4x2 and 4x4 model] owners zxcvar 4x4 2 January 13th 04 08:28 PM