OBD II

Old March 27th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default OBD II

The 1996 Saturn has the OBD II trouble code system.
Can the codes be read by the onboard computer like
the OBD i by shorting A and B that allows the computed
to flash the numbers or must you have a scanner to read
the codes? The Haynes Manual has lots of data on how
to read the old system but nothing about the OBD II system.
Ernie

Old March 28th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On 27 Mar 2006 14:03:53 -0800, "ernie" > wrote:

>The 1996 Saturn has the OBD II trouble code system.
>Can the codes be read by the onboard computer like
>the OBD i by shorting A and B that allows the computed
>to flash the numbers or must you have a scanner to read
>the codes? The Haynes Manual has lots of data on how
>to read the old system but nothing about the OBD II system.
>Ernie

No Joy, you need a code reader. Advance Auto and Auto Zone will scan
them for free.
Old March 28th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Thanks SnoMan. I'll bet disconnecting the battery
does not erace the codes. I did some work on the
car and disconnected the battery but the code is
still there. PepBoys has a reader for $69.95 I guess
that will erase the codes too.
Ernie

Old March 28th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

On 27 Mar 2006 16:35:49 -0800, "ernie" > wrote:

>Thanks SnoMan. I'll bet disconnecting the battery
>does not erace the codes. I did some work on the
>car and disconnected the battery but the code is
>still there. PepBoys has a reader for $69.95 I guess
>that will erase the codes too.
>Ernie

After about 50 tuns or so without error they will clear themselves and
most OBD2 code readers can clear codes too. Below is a link to a
online OBD2 code definition database if you need one.

http://forum.snoman.com/viewtopic.php?t=92
Old March 29th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

SnoMan wrote:
> On 27 Mar 2006 16:35:49 -0800, "ernie" > wrote:
>
> >Thanks SnoMan. I'll bet disconnecting the battery
> >does not erace the codes. I did some work on the
> >car and disconnected the battery but the code is
> >still there. PepBoys has a reader for $69.95 I guess
> >that will erase the codes too.
> >Ernie

> After about 50 tuns or so without error they will clear themselves and
> most OBD2 code readers can clear codes too. Below is a link to a
> online OBD2 code definition database if you need one.
>
> http://forum.snoman.com/viewtopic.php?t=92

I put in new spark plugs and wires,read the codes and still had the O2
sensor, Installed a new O2 sensor and eraced the error codes with
my new actron reader, There are no codes now after short drive but
need to put smoe miles on it to be sure.
Thanks
Ernie