Electrical ? 93 3.3

Old January 10th 05, 01:17 PM
ncs

Default Electrical ? 93 3.3

Here's a new problem: Again an intermittent problem. I'll be driving down
the road and the speedometer goes to zero and than back up and the trans.
goes back into gear (or re-engages). I originally thought it was a trans
problem, but I
have an old cell phone that is powered up by the ignition key that is still
in the car. When it powers up, it beeps. And every time this has happened,
the phone would beep. Didn't really connect the two until recently. I
don't have a trans problem, I think I loose power for a very short time and
that's what shuts everything down and then restarts it. It happens very
rarely, and I haven't noticed anything that might cause it, like going over
a bump. (thought it might be a loose wire). There are no codes generated.

any ideas,
thanks,
nick

Old January 11th 05, 03:18 AM
KaWallski

cold solder joints or temperature related connector problems, espescially in
a car with a few miles/seasons of hot/cold expansion.

"ncs" > wrote in message ...
> Here's a new problem: Again an intermittent problem. I'll be driving down
> the road and the speedometer goes to zero and than back up and the trans.
> goes back into gear (or re-engages). I originally thought it was a trans
> problem, but I
> have an old cell phone that is powered up by the ignition key that is

still
> in the car. When it powers up, it beeps. And every time this has

happened,
> the phone would beep. Didn't really connect the two until recently. I
> don't have a trans problem, I think I loose power for a very short time

and
> that's what shuts everything down and then restarts it. It happens very
> rarely, and I haven't noticed anything that might cause it, like going

over
> a bump. (thought it might be a loose wire). There are no codes generated.
>
> any ideas,
> thanks,
> nick

News==----

Newsgroups

Old January 11th 05, 03:18 AM
KaWallski

"ncs" > wrote in message ...
> Here's a new problem: Again an intermittent problem. I'll be driving down
> the road and the speedometer goes to zero and than back up and the trans.
> goes back into gear (or re-engages). I originally thought it was a trans
> problem, but I
> have an old cell phone that is powered up by the ignition key that is

still
> in the car. When it powers up, it beeps. And every time this has

happened,
> the phone would beep. Didn't really connect the two until recently. I
> don't have a trans problem, I think I loose power for a very short time

and
> that's what shuts everything down and then restarts it. It happens very
> rarely, and I haven't noticed anything that might cause it, like going

over
> a bump. (thought it might be a loose wire). There are no codes generated.
>
> any ideas,
> thanks,
> nick

News==----

Newsgroups

Old January 11th 05, 12:36 PM
ncs

I think I know the answer to this already. But is there any way to isolate
the problem ?

thanks,
Nick

Old January 11th 05, 12:36 PM
ncs

Old January 19th 05, 02:54 AM
KaWallski

Isolating is easy - it just takes like hundreds of hours lol.
Best thing to do is locate ALL connectors and inspect for corrosion or poor
connection due to loose fit. Then Reconnect and reapply some form of
waterproofing for engine compartment leads. Especially at connectors that
supply power to more than 1 circuit ie: NOT brake light lead but power and
groiund lead commons in and around any computers and dash components.

PS, make sure you Dont have 38 keys dangling off of the ignition switch.
lol.

Old January 19th 05, 10:15 PM
ncs

Thanks for the suggestion. While adding windshield washer fluid the other
day, I noticed the light in the engine compartment flicker on and off.
Wonder what caused that, so after awhile I finally was able to duplicate it.
On the negative battery cable, there is a connection that pulls apart. If I
put pressure on it a certain way, it lost the connection. I pulled it apart,
cleaned it out and added some dielectric grease and put it back together.
Don't know if that was it, since it happened so infrequently, but we'll see.
thanks again

Old January 20th 05, 02:06 PM
ncs