Defunct Big-3 US Makes?

Old September 9th 03, 12:36 AM
Greg Beaulieu

Stephen H. Westin ) wrote:
: Hmm. Weren't the Vega, and later the Chevette, sold in Canada only as
: Pontiacs or perhaps Acadians? The U.S. later got Pontiac versions of
: each, as I recall.

The Vega was sold initially in Canada just as a Chevy Vega. A few years
into the run GM gave Pontiac a version called the Astre. When the Chevette
came along a Pontiac version was sold in Canada as the Acadian. Finally
when the Chevy Corsica came along GM Canada gave Pontiac a version called
the Tempest.

--
Greg Beaulieu Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
Olds List Admin Info:
Old November 9th 03, 06:07 AM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:38:03 -0500, "chudwuh" >
wrote:

>I'm compiling a list of defunct (or soon to be) Big-3 passenger car makes
>that were made and/or sold in the US. So far, I've come up with the
>following - anybody know of any others? Thanks.
>
>FoMoCo - Edsel
>GM - LaSalle and Oldsmobile
>MoPar - DeSoto and Plymouth

GM- Lafayette.(part of buick, like Lasalle was part of Caddy)
GM Oakland (Pontiac was the "companion" of Oakland, like Lasalle was
of Caddy, but in this case the "companion" lived and the major brand
died)
Chrysler Valiant (became part of Plymouth)
Old November 9th 03, 06:20 AM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

wrote:

>I'm compiling a list of defunct (or soon to be) Big-3 passenger car makes
>that were made and/or sold in the US. So far, I've come up with the
>following - anybody know of any others? Thanks.
>
>FoMoCo - Edsel
>GM - LaSalle and Oldsmobile
>MoPar - DeSoto and Plymouth

Sorry, Buick was Marquette. Lafayette was a Nash.
There were Canada only brands too - as well as a whole horde of
different Model names that were not their own division.

Ford and Lincoln Mercury still co-exist on paper, I believe, but ther
are no longer Lincoln Mercury dealers. Only Ford dealers now.

Chev/Olds /Cadillac will be Chev/Cadillac, while Pontiac Buick still
co-exists.

Chrysler? I believe Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep are now all one division of
Daimler Chrysler, with Plymouth out of the mix. In the early Sixties
Valiant was it's own brand, not a model, as was the Imperial.

Model names that have dissapeared include Neon, Continental, New
Yorker, Coronet, Charger, Satelite, Acadian, Beaumont, Canso, Polara,
and hundreds more
Old November 9th 03, 06:25 AM
Classic Car Fair

clare, @, snyder.on, .ca wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:38:03 -0500, "chudwuh" >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm compiling a list of defunct (or soon to be) Big-3 passenger car makes
> >that were made and/or sold in the US. So far, I've come up with the
> >following - anybody know of any others? Thanks.
> >
> >FoMoCo - Edsel
> >GM - LaSalle and Oldsmobile
> >MoPar - DeSoto and Plymouth
> >

> GM- Lafayette.(part of buick, like Lasalle was part of Caddy)
> GM Oakland (Pontiac was the "companion" of Oakland, like Lasalle was
> of Caddy, but in this case the "companion" lived and the major brand
> died)
> Chrysler Valiant (became part of Plymouth)

In Australia, where Valiants developed separately, they were always
known/badged as Chryslers.
Old November 9th 03, 02:19 PM
TOM KAN PA

<< GM- Lafayette.(part of buick, like Lasalle was part of Caddy) >>
____Reply Separator_____

Nope, he Lafayette was a Nash!

Old November 9th 03, 07:29 PM
Neil Nelson

In article >,
clare @ snyder.on .ca wrote:

> Ford and Lincoln Mercury still co-exist on paper, I believe, but ther
> are no longer Lincoln Mercury dealers. Only Ford dealers now.

Lincoln and Mercury are not always branded together, the last
Ford dealership I worked at was and still is a Ford-Mercury
dealership. We did warranty work on Lincolns, but did not sell
them.

You can also add Imperial to the list, as prior to 1990, it was a
separate brand from Chrysler.
Old November 10th 03, 03:27 PM
Stephen H. Westin

clare @ snyder.on .ca writes:

> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:38:03 -0500, "chudwuh" >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm compiling a list of defunct (or soon to be) Big-3 passenger car makes
> >that were made and/or sold in the US. So far, I've come up with the
> >following - anybody know of any others? Thanks.
> >
> >FoMoCo - Edsel
> >GM - LaSalle and Oldsmobile
> >MoPar - DeSoto and Plymouth
> >

> Sorry, Buick was Marquette. Lafayette was a Nash.
> There were Canada only brands too - as well as a whole horde of
> different Model names that were not their own division.
>
> Ford and Lincoln Mercury still co-exist on paper, I believe, but ther
> are no longer Lincoln Mercury dealers. Only Ford dealers now.

Then all those L-M dealers will be really sore that they shelled out
for those fancy new signs.

Lincoln-Mercury moved its headquarters to California some years ago,
and is still quite alive.

> Chev/Olds /Cadillac will be Chev/Cadillac, while Pontiac Buick still
> co-exists.

Huh? GM announced that Olds is being phased out, but all of those are
independent makes, and there are plenty of dealerships that sell only
one of them.

> Chrysler? I believe Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep are now all one division of
> Daimler Chrysler, with Plymouth out of the mix.

Try again. Chrysler/Jeep is one franchise, I think, and Dodge another.
I think there are still Jeep-only dealerships.

> In the early Sixties
> Valiant was it's own brand, not a model, as was the Imperial.
>
> Model names that have dissapeared include Neon,

Where exactly do you live? What does Dodge call their 4-door compact
sedan?

--
-Stephen H. Westin
Old November 10th 03, 04:25 PM
C. E. White

clare, @, snyder.on, .ca wrote:

> Ford and Lincoln Mercury still co-exist on paper, I believe, but ther
> are no longer Lincoln Mercury dealers. Only Ford dealers now.

Maybe in Canada, but in the US there are still separate Lincoln-Mercury
Dealers (but as far as I know no separate Lincoln and Mercury dealers). There
are a lot of Ford-Lincoln-Mercury dealers, but the two divisions still have
separate marketing organizations.

Ed

Old November 12th 03, 06:21 PM
Andreas Tovornik

"C. E. White" ) writes:
> clare, @, snyder.on, .ca wrote:
>
>> Ford and Lincoln Mercury still co-exist on paper, I believe, but ther
>> are no longer Lincoln Mercury dealers. Only Ford dealers now.

> Maybe in Canada, but in the US there are still separate Lincoln-Mercury
> Dealers (but as far as I know no separate Lincoln and Mercury dealers). There
> are a lot of Ford-Lincoln-Mercury dealers, but the two divisions still have
> separate marketing organizations.

The Ford dealers in this part of Canada also sell Lincolns and I have
even seen a few Mercurys in the lot, but I think they're only carrying
that Black four-door sedan with funny wheels. I think they call it
'Marauder.'

--
'dreas...tbtw#5 'They say for centuries lovely Japanese girls
Victoria Taxi#15 have been trained in the art of pleasin' men.
Old November 15th 03, 03:05 AM
clare @ snyder.on .ca

On 10 Nov 2003 09:27:41 -0500,
(Stephen H. Westin) wrote:

>clare @ snyder.on .ca writes:
>
>> On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 13:38:03 -0500, "chudwuh" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm compiling a list of defunct (or soon to be) Big-3 passenger car makes
>> >that were made and/or sold in the US. So far, I've come up with the
>> >following - anybody know of any others? Thanks.
>> >
>> >FoMoCo - Edsel
>> >GM - LaSalle and Oldsmobile
>> >MoPar - DeSoto and Plymouth
>> >

>> Sorry, Buick was Marquette. Lafayette was a Nash.
>> There were Canada only brands too - as well as a whole horde of
>> different Model names that were not their own division.
>>
>> Ford and Lincoln Mercury still co-exist on paper, I believe, but ther
>> are no longer Lincoln Mercury dealers. Only Ford dealers now.

>Then all those L-M dealers will be really sore that they shelled out
>for those fancy new signs.
>
>Lincoln-Mercury moved its headquarters to California some years ago,
>and is still quite alive.

In Canada we no longer have LM dealerships. All Ford or Ford Lincoln
dealerships. Grand Marquis and Cougar were the only Mercury branded
vehicles the last couple of years.

>> Chev/Olds /Cadillac will be Chev/Cadillac, while Pontiac Buick still
>> co-exists.

>Huh? GM announced that Olds is being phased out, but all of those are
>independent makes, and there are plenty of dealerships that sell only
>one of them.

Not in Canada. No such thing a a Buick dealer. If you sell Buick, you
sell Pontiac. If you sold chevy, you sold Olds. Only Caddy had
separate dealerships

>> Chrysler? I believe Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep are now all one division of
>> Daimler Chrysler, with Plymouth out of the mix.

>Try again. Chrysler/Jeep is one franchise, I think, and Dodge another.
>I think there are still Jeep-only dealerships.
>
>> In the early Sixties
>> Valiant was it's own brand, not a model, as was the Imperial.
>>
>> Model names that have dissapeared include Neon,

>Where exactly do you live? What does Dodge call their 4-door compact
>sedan?

It is no longer a Dodge, nor a Neon. It is now a Chrysler 2000.