My A4 vs my old Passat

Old June 11th 04, 11:24 PM
JJ

Default My A4 vs my old Passat

I had a 99 Passat 1.8 turbo 5 speed. I always rationalized it that I got a
car that was the same as the A4 without paying for the 4 rings. Am I wrong?
My 2003 Audi A4 seems to be soooo much more vehicle than my old VW.

Old June 12th 04, 10:10 AM
Pete

"JJ" > wrote
> I had a 99 Passat 1.8 turbo 5 speed. I always rationalized it that I

got a
> car that was the same as the A4 without paying for the 4 rings. Am I

wrong?
> My 2003 Audi A4 seems to be soooo much more vehicle than my old VW.

There is even a huge difference betw. a '99 A4 and an '03 A4, as they're
on a different production platform.

Cheers,

Pete

Old June 13th 04, 04:42 PM
Jens

"JJ" > skrev i en meddelelse
> I had a 99 Passat 1.8 turbo 5 speed. I always rationalized it that I got a
> car that was the same as the A4 without paying for the 4 rings. Am I

wrong?
> My 2003 Audi A4 seems to be soooo much more vehicle than my old VW.

That's the 4 rings!
Amazing how they do it!

Jens

Old June 14th 04, 08:40 PM
Cam Newton

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:24:20 -0500, "JJ" > wrote:

>I had a 99 Passat 1.8 turbo 5 speed. I always rationalized it that I got a
>car that was the same as the A4 without paying for the 4 rings. Am I wrong?
>My 2003 Audi A4 seems to be soooo much more vehicle than my old VW.

'high end' VW does not equal 1.8T A4q. I tried to de-rationalilze the
A4 purchase and couldn't do it.
Old June 14th 04, 10:08 PM
Mike Smith

Cam Newton wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:24:20 -0500, "JJ" > wrote:
>

>>I had a 99 Passat 1.8 turbo 5 speed. I always rationalized it that I got a
>>car that was the same as the A4 without paying for the 4 rings. Am I wrong?
>>My 2003 Audi A4 seems to be soooo much more vehicle than my old VW.
>>

> 'high end' VW does not equal 1.8T A4q.

Then again, a Passat w/ 1.8T and Quattro (called 4Motion, but the
Passat's 4Motion is the same as Quattro, rather than Haldex) costs about
$3K less than a comparably equipped A4.

--
Mike Smith

Old June 15th 04, 02:17 AM
Cesar Borgia

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:08:50 -0400, Mike Smith
> wrote:

>Cam Newton wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:24:20 -0500, "JJ" > wrote:
>>

>>>I had a 99 Passat 1.8 turbo 5 speed. I always rationalized it that I got a
>>>car that was the same as the A4 without paying for the 4 rings. Am I wrong?
>>>My 2003 Audi A4 seems to be soooo much more vehicle than my old VW.
>>>

>> 'high end' VW does not equal 1.8T A4q.

>Then again, a Passat w/ 1.8T and Quattro (called 4Motion, but the
>Passat's 4Motion is the same as Quattro, rather than Haldex) costs about
>$3K less than a comparably equipped A4.

Can you get the Passat 1.8T with the equivalent of an A4's Sport
Package? The 8E A4's suspension is good enough to rival a Bimmer.
=
= Cesar Borgia
=
Old June 15th 04, 07:01 PM
Cam Newton

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:08:50 -0400, Mike Smith
> wrote:

>Cam Newton wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:24:20 -0500, "JJ" > wrote:
>>

>>>I had a 99 Passat 1.8 turbo 5 speed. I always rationalized it that I got a
>>>car that was the same as the A4 without paying for the 4 rings. Am I wrong?
>>>My 2003 Audi A4 seems to be soooo much more vehicle than my old VW.
>>>

>> 'high end' VW does not equal 1.8T A4q.

>Then again, a Passat w/ 1.8T and Quattro (called 4Motion, but the
>Passat's 4Motion is the same as Quattro, rather than Haldex) costs about
>$3K less than a comparably equipped A4.

Smaller trunk for one thing and the kicker was having had 2 Jetta's
(19 years for both) and one Golf, I could not look thru that same
shiny plastic steering wheel for 10 more years. A nicely fluffed
Passat does not equal an A4 1.8q. And I loaded the A4. Mmmm. I love
this car; I just need to drive it more than the 240km/wk I am doing
now. Maybe I should stay home more.

Old June 15th 04, 07:02 PM
Cam Newton

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 01:17:47 GMT, Cesar Borgia >
wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:08:50 -0400, Mike Smith
> wrote:
>
>>Cam Newton wrote:

>>> 'high end' VW does not equal 1.8T A4q.

>>Then again, a Passat w/ 1.8T and Quattro (called 4Motion, but the
>>Passat's 4Motion is the same as Quattro, rather than Haldex) costs about
>>$3K less than a comparably equipped A4.

>Can you get the Passat 1.8T with the equivalent of an A4's Sport
>Package? The 8E A4's suspension is good enough to rival a Bimmer.
>=
>= Cesar Borgia
>=

Go for the A4 1.8q. There is really no comparison. And the Passat
4Motion etc is a consolation prize. BMW's are over priced and a AWD
version is $$$$$.
Old June 16th 04, 04:07 AM
Dave Lugo

Mike Smith wrote:
> Cam Newton wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 17:24:20 -0500, "JJ" > wrote:
>>

>>> I had a 99 Passat 1.8 turbo 5 speed. I always rationalized it that I
>>> got a
>>> car that was the same as the A4 without paying for the 4 rings. Am I
>>> wrong?
>>> My 2003 Audi A4 seems to be soooo much more vehicle than my old VW.
>>>

>> 'high end' VW does not equal 1.8T A4q.

> Then again, a Passat w/ 1.8T and Quattro (called 4Motion, but the
> Passat's 4Motion is the same as Quattro, rather than Haldex) costs about
> $3K less than a comparably equipped A4.

As I understand it, no climate control, at least not w/ a 4Motion 1.8T
manual. The A4 has nicer bits inside.

Dave Lugo LC Unit #260 TINLC
Have you hugged your firewall today? No spam, thanks.
Are you the police? . . . . No ma'am, we're sysadmins.