Plymouth Voyager ABS problem

Old February 19th 06, 10:02 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default Plymouth Voyager ABS problem

I live in United Kingdom and have got a 1992 Plymouth Voyager.
Recently the ABS light came on and stayed on. The local Chrysler
dealer didn't know what was wrong with it until I found out that all my
make and year of cars had been recalled in United States. The Chrysler
dealer decided to do the recall here for me but told me that the parts
needed to repair my ABS problem were not under warranty. I have done
some research and found out that certain parts of the ABS system are
covered with a lifetime warranty. The others seem to have a 10
year/hundred thousand miles warranty. I have had my car since 1992 so
the 10-year warranty is up. Mind you, I have done less than 50,000 mi.
in that time. Since I only found out about this recall recently, do you
think Chrysler should and will reimburse what it is going to cost me to
fix my car?

Old February 19th 06, 10:35 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I live in United Kingdom and have got a 1992 Plymouth Voyager.
> Recently the ABS light came on and stayed on. The local Chrysler
> dealer didn't know what was wrong with it until I found out that all my
> make and year of cars had been recalled in United States. The Chrysler
> dealer decided to do the recall here for me but told me that the parts
> needed to repair my ABS problem were not under warranty. I have done
> some research and found out that certain parts of the ABS system are
> covered with a lifetime warranty. The others seem to have a 10
> year/hundred thousand miles warranty. I have had my car since 1992 so
> the 10-year warranty is up. Mind you, I have done less than 50,000 mi.
> in that time. Since I only found out about this recall recently, do you
> think Chrysler should and will reimburse what it is going to cost me to
> fix my car?

No!!! Why would they. there are 3 parts covered under the recall, if one of
those parts are bad it will still be covered today. if the accumulator, Dual
function pressure switch or even the filter is stopped up it is not covered.
What did the dealer say was bad?

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old February 20th 06, 12:39 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Thanks for the expedient reply. There are two parts that the Chrysler
dealer here said they have two replace. I can't remember the first one
but the second one is something they called the "control modulator"
whatever that is. Both parts have cost £1000 each and that is
excluding Labour.

Old February 20th 06, 01:11 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

> wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for the expedient reply. There are two parts that the Chrysler
dealer here said they have two replace. I can't remember the first one
but the second one is something they called the "control modulator"
whatever that is. Both parts have cost £1000 each and that is
excluding Labour.

Unless you can tell me the exact name I cant tell you what the part is.
However if they are replacing the controller I know that part is very
expensive. If you are experiencing a hard pedal or no brakes at all that
controller has nothing to do with it. That controller is only used for the
anti lock portion of the system. If you were to take and throw the
controller away that is on your vehicle it will allow the vehicle to stop as
a normall vehicle without ABS. Yes both red and amber lites will be on at
the dash.

Glenn Beasley
CHrysler Tech

Old February 20th 06, 03:38 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

The garage only referred to it as a control modulator. The only thing
that showed there was something wrong was when the ABS light came on
and stayed on, nothing else happened. I am assuming by what you said,
the part that was replaced has nothing to do with the recall so I
haven't got a chance at claiming any money back?

Old February 20th 06, 03:57 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> The garage only referred to it as a control modulator. The only thing
> that showed there was something wrong was when the ABS light came on
> and stayed on, nothing else happened. I am assuming by what you said,
> the part that was replaced has nothing to do with the recall so I
> haven't got a chance at claiming any money back?

That part is not covered by the recall, however if it is a modulator fault
code and the cause of that code is one of the solenoids on the Hydraulic
assembly is bad you would get the complete ABS assembly for free. There are
3 things that could cause that code. Wiring problems (not covered) ABS brake
controller (not covered) or Modulator solenoids (Covered).

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old February 21st 06, 01:33 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

This is the reply I got back from the Chrysler dealer here who have my
car when I asked them for the exact problem

"Thank you for your e-mail.
Original ABS defect required the change of the ABS control module.
Fault codes cleared.
ABS pump changed as part of recall.
Having completed all recall work and change of control module, further
defect showing
Modulator Fault highlighten, this part is still on back order from
Chrysler.
Part number R4683474.
I haven't as yet received a delivery date for the part.
Our diagnostic equipment lists the defective part name rather than a
defect code.
I will let you know as soon as a delivery date is released.

Best regards
Chris. "

Old February 21st 06, 09:16 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> This is the reply I got back from the Chrysler dealer here who have my
> car when I asked them for the exact problem
>
> "Thank you for your e-mail.
> Original ABS defect required the change of the ABS control module.
> Fault codes cleared.
> ABS pump changed as part of recall.
> Having completed all recall work and change of control module, further
> defect showing
> Modulator Fault highlighten, this part is still on back order from
> Chrysler.
> Part number R4683474.
> I haven't as yet received a delivery date for the part.
> Our diagnostic equipment lists the defective part name rather than a
> defect code.
> I will let you know as soon as a delivery date is released.
>
> Best regards
> Chris. "

Chris, what they are replacing is the complete Hydraulic assembly and
assuming it isnt damaged due to an accident that part is part of the
warranty recall and you should not be billed for it. Just curious did they
install and charge you for the ABS controller?
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old February 22nd 06, 03:34 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:11:03 -0500, maxpower wrote:

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> Thanks for the expedient reply. There are two parts that the Chrysler
> dealer here said they have two replace. I can't remember the first one
> but the second one is something they called the "control modulator"
> whatever that is. Both parts have cost £1000 each and that is
> excluding Labour.
>
> Unless you can tell me the exact name I cant tell you what the part is.
> However if they are replacing the controller I know that part is very
> expensive. If you are experiencing a hard pedal or no brakes at all that
> controller has nothing to do with it. That controller is only used for the
> anti lock portion of the system. If you were to take and throw the
> controller away that is on your vehicle it will allow the vehicle to stop as
> a normall vehicle without ABS. Yes both red and amber lites will be on at
> the dash.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> CHrysler Tech

Hey, Glenn, what is a Hard Pedal indicative of? I was assuming the brake
system has never been flushed. But, my ABS light does come on
occasionally. Then will go out for a few hundred miles.

I had another one before this. I figured it didn't have ABS. It did; the
previous owner took the bulb out of the warning light. No hard pedal, no
brake problems.

--
In the grand scheme fo things...
What difference does it make?

Old February 22nd 06, 09:34 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

"Hachiroku" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:11:03 -0500, maxpower wrote:
>

> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> > Thanks for the expedient reply. There are two parts that the Chrysler
> > dealer here said they have two replace. I can't remember the first one
> > but the second one is something they called the "control modulator"
> > whatever that is. Both parts have cost £1000 each and that is
> > excluding Labour.
> >
> > Unless you can tell me the exact name I cant tell you what the part is.
> > However if they are replacing the controller I know that part is very
> > expensive. If you are experiencing a hard pedal or no brakes at all that
> > controller has nothing to do with it. That controller is only used for

the
> > anti lock portion of the system. If you were to take and throw the
> > controller away that is on your vehicle it will allow the vehicle to

stop as
> > a normall vehicle without ABS. Yes both red and amber lites will be on

at
> > the dash.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > CHrysler Tech

> Hey, Glenn, what is a Hard Pedal indicative of? I was assuming the brake
> system has never been flushed. But, my ABS light does come on
> occasionally. Then will go out for a few hundred miles.
>
> I had another one before this. I figured it didn't have ABS. It did; the
> previous owner took the bulb out of the warning light. No hard pedal, no
> brake problems.
>

> --
> In the grand scheme fo things...
> What difference does it make?

I assume we are referring to the 92 Van with the bendix 10 ABS?
A hard pedal could be several things on that system.
A faulty pump, a restricted return filter that feeds the pump, A worn out
accumulator, A worn out Hydraulic piston, The dual function pressure switch
that controls the pump and faulty wiring.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler tech