e32 - auto -- shift trim -- how to replace?

Old November 20th 05, 07:08 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default e32 - auto -- shift trim -- how to replace?

In the e32 -- automatic transmission. There's a bit of trim that slides with
the gear selector... How does one replace that?

I read the manual; but it skips over how to remove the wood trim that's there to
gain access... it just shows the picture of it removed.

Thanks
-josh

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.
Old November 20th 05, 10:29 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Josh Assing wrote:
> In the e32 -- automatic transmission. There's a bit of trim that slides with
> the gear selector... How does one replace that?
>
> I read the manual; but it skips over how to remove the wood trim that's there to
> gain access... it just shows the picture of it removed.
>
> Thanks
> -josh
>

> --- AntiSpam/harvest ---
> Remove X's to send email to me.

Removing the wood panel is quite easy - you'll need a coupld of wire
hooks with pointed ends. Just use the hooks to lift the front edge of
the trim panel upwards and then ease it up off the locating pegs at the
rear end (having removed the gear handle first).

Take a look at www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_13.htm for pictures and details
of a home-made slide replacement.

HTH

--
Regards

Steve G
Old November 20th 05, 11:12 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

>Removing the wood panel is quite easy - you'll need a coupld of wire
>hooks with pointed ends. Just use the hooks to lift the front edge of
>the trim panel upwards and then ease it up off the locating pegs at the
>rear end (having removed the gear handle first).
>
>Take a look at www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_13.htm for pictures and details
>of a home-made slide replacement.

Awesome! Thanks.

It really looks like the leather is ONTOP of the wood.. That looks really easy.

I'm constantly amazed at how well BMW did some things. (Like the door trim -- I
just adjusted the window) very few tools needed, and it all went back together
perfectly... This could not be done on an american car...

Even the "snap in" bits (wood trim, for example) align up & look great.

Thanks for the pictures & tips.

-josh

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.
Old November 21st 05, 08:33 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Josh Assing wrote:

> Awesome! Thanks.
>
> It really looks like the leather is ONTOP of the wood.. That looks really easy.
>
> I'm constantly amazed at how well BMW did some things. (Like the door trim -- I
> just adjusted the window) very few tools needed, and it all went back together
> perfectly... This could not be done on an american car...
>
> Even the "snap in" bits (wood trim, for example) align up & look great.
>
> Thanks for the pictures & tips.
>
> -josh
>

> --- AntiSpam/harvest ---
> Remove X's to send email to me.

You're welcome :-)

I know what you mean about how well things fit together in the BMW. I
also have a Discovery and nothing fits on that - everything has to be
forced/stretched/pushed/pulled and generally bodged to get it back together.

--
Regards

Steve G
Old November 22nd 05, 12:12 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

>I know what you mean about how well things fit together in the BMW. I
>also have a Discovery and nothing fits on that - everything has to be
>forced/stretched/pushed/pulled and generally bodged to get it back together.

Wow -- sounds like a british car.... (d'oh!)

--- AntiSpam/harvest ---
Remove X's to send email to me.