water dripping from the gas tank? 92 coupe, lt1

Old October 31st 04, 07:17 PM
jameson

Default water dripping from the gas tank? 92 coupe, lt1

I have a 1992 LT1 six speed coupe.
My wife is gone this week, so I am drive her car all week.
As I pulled into my car port, I noticed a puddle of water under the
corvette.
It seems to be dripping from the gas tank! (However, I am only
ASSUMING it is the gas tank, whatever that large metal plate is right
in the middle of the back end of the car)

I smelled it and re-smelled it, put my hand in it, did everything
short of tasting it and bathing in it, and it was water by all
accounts.

there seems to be some sort of "hole" on the metal plate that I am
assuming is the gas tank. Not a hole that is damage, but it appears to
be a factory hole, perhaps for a screw, or bolt or somethign like
that...

Ive never seen this puddle before and it hasnt rained here in about a
week, and during that week I didnt drive the vette. I did wash teh car
3 days ago, but im certain I would have seen a puddle between now and
then...

any help is appreciated, sorry I dont know much about my car
jazz mann
Old November 1st 04, 04:06 PM
Charles Spitzer

"jameson" > wrote in message
m...
>I have a 1992 LT1 six speed coupe.
> My wife is gone this week, so I am drive her car all week.
> As I pulled into my car port, I noticed a puddle of water under the
> corvette.
> It seems to be dripping from the gas tank! (However, I am only
> ASSUMING it is the gas tank, whatever that large metal plate is right
> in the middle of the back end of the car)
>
> I smelled it and re-smelled it, put my hand in it, did everything
> short of tasting it and bathing in it, and it was water by all
> accounts.
>
> there seems to be some sort of "hole" on the metal plate that I am
> assuming is the gas tank. Not a hole that is damage, but it appears to
> be a factory hole, perhaps for a screw, or bolt or somethign like
> that...
>
> Ive never seen this puddle before and it hasnt rained here in about a
> week, and during that week I didnt drive the vette. I did wash teh car
> 3 days ago, but im certain I would have seen a puddle between now and
> then...
>
> any help is appreciated, sorry I dont know much about my car
> jazz mann

the tube from the gas cap area drains onto the top of the spare tire, which
has a large plastic pan under it that can trap all sorts of water, dust, and
gravel. this can also rust the rim, causing tire bead problems. when was the
last time you checked the air pressure in your spare?

Old November 1st 04, 04:06 PM
Charles Spitzer

m...

Old November 1st 04, 11:56 PM
Bob G.

>the tube from the gas cap area drains onto the top of the spare tire, which
>has a large plastic pan under it that can trap all sorts of water, dust, and
>gravel. this can also rust the rim, causing tire bead problems. when was the
>last time you checked the air pressure in your spare?

At least on my 95 the drain from the gas cap area exits all the way
over by the drivers side exhaust tip...

NOW if the end of the drain tube which attaches just below the gas
cap area has come loose...you are most likely right ....water will
flow down and get inside the spare tire cover...

The gas tank itself sits a pretty good distance forward of the rear
bumper.. a leak from it would be seen somewhere under the rear pumpkin
(I think)...

Bob G

Old November 1st 04, 11:56 PM
Bob G.

>the tube from the gas cap area drains onto the top of the spare tire, which
>has a large plastic pan under it that can trap all sorts of water, dust, and
>gravel. this can also rust the rim, causing tire bead problems. when was the
>last time you checked the air pressure in your spare?

At least on my 95 the drain from the gas cap area exits all the way
over by the drivers side exhaust tip...

NOW if the end of the drain tube which attaches just below the gas
cap area has come loose...you are most likely right ....water will
flow down and get inside the spare tire cover...

The gas tank itself sits a pretty good distance forward of the rear
bumper.. a leak from it would be seen somewhere under the rear pumpkin
(I think)...

Bob G

'90 V8 Quattro Water and Oil Temperature Help GigaNews Audi 2 December 9th 04 11:05 PM
E34 water pump Alex BMW 1 November 24th 04 11:20 PM
A3 Water leak in boot Chris Bartram Audi 0 November 1st 04 10:01 PM
Water Marks Al Corvette 6 September 21st 04 01:55 AM