AR 156 1.8 TS & K&N Air Filter

Old June 7th 04, 07:13 AM
Vlaho

Default AR 156 1.8 TS & K&N Air Filter

hi 2 all!
got 2nd handed ar 156 1.8 ts recently, love the car!
has anyone in this group ever tried to fit an k&n high flow air filter?
how's alfa performing with it? any performance gain or is it just for
the sake of sporty sound?

regards crom croatia!

Vlaho
Old June 8th 04, 09:24 PM
Alfistagj

Mine is an August 2000 one with a K&N filter in the original filter housing
for 100000km now
Everything is fine.
Cannot say what the filter does as it was in combination with chip tuning.
Does make a bit more noise (which I like)
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Vlaho" > schreef in bericht

Old June 12th 04, 12:47 PM
Aad Doix

Hi there,

Installing a replacement filter will give a little more sound but no
increase of power. Open filters can give a little more power, but only when
installed the right way (cold air intake et cetera), and a lot of sporty
sound. I myself drive a 2.0TS 145 and before a I drove a 1.4TS 145 and both
have a K&N filter, just for the fact that I do not want to change filter
every 40.000km. Last time I am thinking of trying an open filter, but there
are a lot of articles and experiences telling different increases /
decreases in power and torque, so I need to think it over.

Greetz and Enjoy!

Aad

Old June 14th 04, 12:32 PM
DesmaisonLCM

Dans l'article >, "Aad Doix"
>a écrit :

>Hi there,
>
>Installing a replacement filter will give a little more sound but no
>increase of power. Open filters can give a little more power, but only when
>installed the right way (cold air intake et cetera), and a lot of sporty
>sound. I myself drive a 2.0TS 145 and before a I drove a 1.4TS 145 and both
>have a K&N filter, just for the fact that I do not want to change filter
>every 40.000km. Last time I am thinking of trying an open filter, but there
>are a lot of articles and experiences telling different increases /
>decreases in power and torque, so I need to think it over.
>
>Greetz and Enjoy!
>
>Aad
>
>> "Vlaho" > schreef in bericht
>> > hi 2 all!
>> > got 2nd handed ar 156 1.8 ts recently, love the car!
>> > has anyone in this group ever tried to fit an k&n high flow air filter?
>> > how's alfa performing with it? any performance gain or is it just for
>> > the sake of sporty sound?
>> >
>> > regards crom croatia!
>> >

>> > Vlaho

I agree, a filter from K&N is just for the sound, you need a direct air intake
(open filter) in order to have more power but only with cold air from the front
of the car. And the difference is not big, perhaps 3 or 5 bhp.But the sound is
great !!
I put an OMP open filter in my 156 1.6L TS,the sound is more louder when you
throttle but no more noise at stabilised speed on highway.
If you want more power, you have to improve intake but exhaust too, and
ignition, etc... it's a lot of work and money.
Just put an open filter and a sporty exhaust and enjoy the sound (or music?) of
your Alfa.