88 civic, knocking...

Old May 3rd 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Eric D

Default 88 civic, knocking...

Hi, I have an 88 civic and knocking is coming from under the hood. I
thought maybe the engine was just getting old so I switched to premium
for a while but it has just gotten worse.

It's knocking a lot but I don't think it's the engine as it knocks at
various times not in accordance with how I'm running the engine.

I guess I will take it in but can anyone tell me what I'm probably
facing?

It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side front wheel.

thanks a lot
Old May 4th 08, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Charles

Eric D wrote:
> Hi, I have an 88 civic and knocking is coming from under the hood.
> It's knocking a lot but I don't think it's the engine as it knocks at
> various times not in accordance with how I'm running the engine.
> It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side front wheel.

Does it vary with the speed of the vehicle? Does it happen when standing
still? Is it more of a clicking than a knocking? Is it worse when turning
rather than going straight? Is it worse when turning right rather than left?

It might be a constant velocity joint.

--
Chuck

Old May 5th 08, 04:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Eric D

On Sun, 04 May 2008 02:19:11 GMT, "Charles"
> wrote:

>Eric D wrote:
>> Hi, I have an 88 civic and knocking is coming from under the hood.
>> It's knocking a lot but I don't think it's the engine as it knocks at
>> various times not in accordance with how I'm running the engine.
>> It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side front wheel.

>Does it vary with the speed of the vehicle? Does it happen when standing
>still? Is it more of a clicking than a knocking? Is it worse when turning
>rather than going straight? Is it worse when turning right rather than left?
>
>It might be a constant velocity joint.

Thanks very much.

It doesn't seem to vary with the speed of the vehicle and doesn't
happen at all when standing still. It does seem worse when turning
right.

If it is the cv joint is it potentially dangerous to keep driving it?

thanks a lot for your help.
Old May 5th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

Eric D wrote:
> Hi, I have an 88 civic and knocking is coming from under the hood. I
> thought maybe the engine was just getting old so I switched to premium
> for a while but it has just gotten worse.
>
> It's knocking a lot but I don't think it's the engine as it knocks at
> various times not in accordance with how I'm running the engine.
>
> I guess I will take it in but can anyone tell me what I'm probably
> facing?
>
> It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side front wheel.
>
> thanks a lot

=============================

Make sure there's OIL in the engine, then if that's not it, check out
this site:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#noises

'Curly'
Old May 5th 08, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Charles

Eric D wrote:
> It doesn't seem to vary with the speed of the vehicle...

Strange. The rate of clicking from a CV joint _will_ vary with the speed of
the wheel. Do you want to change your answer?

I wonder if it's something in the suspension system such as the torsion bar
brackets?

> If it is the cv joint is it potentially dangerous to keep driving it?

I would get that looked at.

--
Chuck

Old May 5th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Eric D

On Mon, 05 May 2008 17:25:45 GMT, "Charles"
> wrote:

>Eric D wrote:
>> It doesn't seem to vary with the speed of the vehicle...

>Strange. The rate of clicking from a CV joint _will_ vary with the speed of
>the wheel. Do you want to change your answer?
>
>I wonder if it's something in the suspension system such as the torsion bar
>brackets?
>
>> If it is the cv joint is it potentially dangerous to keep driving it?

>I would get that looked at.

Thanks again.

I will change my answer since I just meant that the clicking doesn't
come and go based on the speed of the engine but, yes, it is more
likely to click quickly when moving quickly.

I'll get it looked at.

thanks a lot for your help

1996 Civic engine knocking slim Honda 5 May 6th 07 03:26 AM
rear air knocking? tombstne Ford Explorer 1 July 4th 06 02:14 AM
GS-R knocking Gordon McGrew Honda 4 March 13th 06 03:12 AM
right front knocking T T Ford Mustang 4 August 26th 05 12:37 PM
156 'knocking' ?? NC Alfa Romeo 4 July 20th 04 08:08 PM