Need a second opinion...

Old November 13th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dangermouse

Default Need a second opinion...

Hi folks,

I recently installed a new intake manifold (1500 sp, Brazilian) after I
gave up trying to clear the heat riser pipes on the original. Long
story short, engine is back in car and now I find that I can't get
the stock air cleaner back on as the carb top is slightly too close to
the fan housing (by about 5-6mm). Its been suggested to me that I might
be able to bend it back some using a steel pipe down the throat of the
manifold and some carefully applied pressure. I'd really like a
second opinion on this before I risk doing some damage - am I likely
to get away with it? Do I risk breaking the manifold to head studs?
Manifold is bolted down to both heads and exhaust.

Thanks!

Old November 13th 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_3_]

Dangermouse kirjoitti:
> Hi folks,
>
> I recently installed a new intake manifold (1500 sp, Brazilian) after I
> gave up trying to clear the heat riser pipes on the original. Long
> story short, engine is back in car and now I find that I can't get
> the stock air cleaner back on as the carb top is slightly too close to
> the fan housing (by about 5-6mm). Its been suggested to me that I might
> be able to bend it back some using a steel pipe down the throat of the
> manifold and some carefully applied pressure. I'd really like a
> second opinion on this before I risk doing some damage - am I likely
> to get away with it? Do I risk breaking the manifold to head studs?
> Manifold is bolted down to both heads and exhaust.
>
> Thanks!

Don't do it. You are correct, the head studs can't take it. Also the
aluminum casting will crack. Unfortunately, I don't have a suggestion
for fixing your problem. Jan
Old November 13th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Dangermouse wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I recently installed a new intake manifold (1500 sp, Brazilian) after I
> gave up trying to clear the heat riser pipes on the original. Long
> story short, engine is back in car and now I find that I can't get
> the stock air cleaner back on as the carb top is slightly too close to
> the fan housing (by about 5-6mm). Its been suggested to me that I might
> be able to bend it back some using a steel pipe down the throat of the
> manifold and some carefully applied pressure. I'd really like a
> second opinion on this before I risk doing some damage - am I likely
> to get away with it? Do I risk breaking the manifold to head studs?
> Manifold is bolted down to both heads and exhaust.
>
> Thanks!

I guess I wouldn't risk doing this in the car,
but clamp the manifold and heat the riser with torch
to near-red. Then use the pipe-down-the-throat
to nudge it a bit.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old November 13th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dangermouse

Thanks guys, suspected as much - I stand dissuaded.

What an incredible PITA though! I snapped off a 6mm steel cable inside
my original manifold trying to ream the bugger out and then when I fit
a new, clear one, the air cleaner won't fit back on but of course I
only realise this after the engine's reinstalled. Its just not FAIR!!!
The engine runs waaay better with clear heat risers too (I can actually
fit the stock air-cleaner back on but backwards because of the offset
but it brings me out in a rash just looking at it and I can't connect
the air pre-heat hose or the oil breather hose). This is just so
frustrating, this should be the easy bit!

My options now are, I guess, remove manifold and take it somewhere for
alignment (I don't have access to appropriate tools myself). Or, try
and find an original, German manifold with clear(ed) heat risers
(prectically impossible it seems). Or, have my first manifold cut,
cleared and rewelded (yuck!). Or, find another, German, manifold and
try again to clear the heat risers (double yuck!!).

Someone should be recycling and selling these - I would pay quite a bit
for one.

Old November 13th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Dangermouse wrote:

> Thanks guys, suspected as much - I stand dissuaded.
>
> What an incredible PITA though! I snapped off a 6mm steel cable inside
> my original manifold trying to ream the bugger out and then when I fit
> a new, clear one, the air cleaner won't fit back on but of course I
> only realise this after the engine's reinstalled. Its just not FAIR!!!

PLAN "B"

Make a "custom" gasket between the carb base and manifold
riser flange. This gasket will have a slightly tapered
profile such that it "tilts" the carb back at a comfortable angle :-)

I think one could do it in an evening with nothing
more than a big ass rasp.

Jim
Old November 13th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Dangermouse

> PLAN "B"
>
> Make a "custom" gasket between the carb base and manifold
> riser flange. This gasket will have a slightly tapered
> profile such that it "tilts" the carb back at a comfortable angle :-)
>
> I think one could do it in an evening with nothing
> more than a big ass rasp.

Hmmmmmm...

What effect might an even slightly tilted carb have on the level of
fuel in the float chamber or indeed oil in the aircleaner? Or are you
meaning more of an 'offset' type of gasket; does such a thing exist?
What could one use as a starting point to fabricate one?

Old November 13th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Randy

Dangermouse wrote:
> > PLAN "B"
> >
> > Make a "custom" gasket between the carb base and manifold
> > riser flange. This gasket will have a slightly tapered
> > profile such that it "tilts" the carb back at a comfortable angle :-)
> >
> > I think one could do it in an evening with nothing
> > more than a big ass rasp.

> Hmmmmmm...
>
> What effect might an even slightly tilted carb have on the level of
> fuel in the float chamber or indeed oil in the aircleaner? Or are you
> meaning more of an 'offset' type of gasket; does such a thing exist?
> What could one use as a starting point to fabricate one?

Plan C.
Get a different air cleaner.

Randy

Old November 14th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Hmmmph!@ Killjoy :-)
Old November 14th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_3_]

Speedy Jim kirjoitti:
> Dangermouse wrote:
>
>> Thanks guys, suspected as much - I stand dissuaded.
>>
>> What an incredible PITA though! I snapped off a 6mm steel cable inside
>> my original manifold trying to ream the bugger out and then when I fit
>> a new, clear one, the air cleaner won't fit back on but of course I
>> only realise this after the engine's reinstalled. Its just not FAIR!!!

> PLAN "B"
>
> Make a "custom" gasket between the carb base and manifold
> riser flange. This gasket will have a slightly tapered
> profile such that it "tilts" the carb back at a comfortable angle :-)
>
> I think one could do it in an evening with nothing
> more than a big ass rasp.
>
> Jim

and the carb would then sit at a weird angle and not work properly
because the fuel level would be weird to say the least?

Maybe I'm just paranoid, they do work when driving uphill.... lol
Old November 14th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Jan wrote:

> Speedy Jim kirjoitti:
>
>> Dangermouse wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks guys, suspected as much - I stand dissuaded.
>>>
>>> What an incredible PITA though! I snapped off a 6mm steel cable inside
>>> my original manifold trying to ream the bugger out and then when I fit
>>> a new, clear one, the air cleaner won't fit back on but of course I
>>> only realise this after the engine's reinstalled. Its just not FAIR!!!

>> PLAN "B"
>>
>> Make a "custom" gasket between the carb base and manifold
>> riser flange. This gasket will have a slightly tapered
>> profile such that it "tilts" the carb back at a comfortable angle :-)
>>
>> I think one could do it in an evening with nothing
>> more than a big ass rasp.
>>
>> Jim

> and the carb would then sit at a weird angle and not work properly
> because the fuel level would be weird to say the least?
>
> Maybe I'm just paranoid, they do work when driving uphill.... lol

They do work because the level doesn't tilt very much and
the "average" height remains roughly the same.
I don't think the tilting gasket will have to alter the carb angle
by very much.

Jim

Need An Opinion #2 Please!! Mustang_girl Ford Mustang 11 April 18th 06 06:03 PM
95 mustang pictures give me your opinion bill302 Ford Mustang 7 November 7th 05 01:16 PM
HELP: Opinion Needed Billy Corvette 0 August 19th 04 08:34 PM
HELP: Opinion needed... Billy Audi 0 August 19th 04 07:38 PM
Santa Fe 2004 your opinion Santa 4x4 0 April 29th 04 06:48 PM