install turbo

Old November 12th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jeff Barnes

Default install turbo

I am ready to have my engine rebuilt. should I put my money in cams pistons
e ct. or get a basic 1600 engine and add a turbo.I do not know how well the
tubo works in a vw or they kill the engine . the car is for weekends any
suggestions or experiences

Old November 12th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Nov 12, 10:07*am, "Jeff Barnes" > wrote:
> I am ready to have my engine rebuilt. should I put my money in cams pistons
> e ct. or get a basic 1600 engine and add a turbo.I do not know how well the
> tubo works in a vw or they kill the engine . the car is for weekends any
> suggestions or experiences

Contact A.J.Simms at WWW.Lowbugget.com He can set you up with
everything you need to have fun, Make sure you have a brake system to
handle any extra hp.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto

Old November 12th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Karl

You need to put your money in getting books and a basic auto class 1st.
According to the post above, you don't even know how to unbolt your engine!

Old November 12th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Karl" > wrote in message
t...
> You need to put your money in getting books and a basic auto class 1st.
> According to the post above, you don't even know how to unbolt your
> engine!

don't be assinine....i can rebuild damn near any engine, yet i wouldn't have
a clue on proper procedures for pulling an engine in a car i have no
experience with....if i were to need to pull a v12 from an exotic sportscar
i guess i'd need a "basic auto class"? Don't be a dip****...

Old November 12th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jeff Barnes

I have not pulled the engine yet but no body has ANSWERED my tubo question
yet. I guess I ll go to school for THAT.

Old November 12th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Jeff Barnes" > wrote in message
>I have not pulled the engine yet but no body has ANSWERED my tubo question
>yet. I guess I ll go to school for THAT.

Mario aka Kafertoys answered your question splendidly.

all I can say is, a properly built engine with a properly tuned forced
induction can, and will, live a long happy life....they are easy(not exactly
"cheap") horsepower.....

I like large displacement engines, and I love turbos....

here is my current engine:
http://hometown.aol.com/bugninva/ima...20100_3447.jpg

Old November 13th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Wolfgang[_1_]

Get the VW Turbomania book for $18.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....de=CMB-117154C

My opinion is that a basic rebuild is not sufficient for a long lived turbo
charged air cooled engine. You need to really worry about compression
ratios, cooling, extra oil capacity, balancing, quality of rebuild parts,
quality of case (block) & crank used.

You can get 100-150 HP out of a T1 or better yet for longevity a T4 engine -
for a $2k less investment (cost of turbo/plumbiong/etc)

Old November 13th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jeff Barnes

I saw an ad for a electric turbo unit to the carb.Almost same principal as
a exhaust turbo.You would think all new cars and trucks would have turbos.

Old November 13th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

I agree with Wolfgang. Hooking up turbo to the stock engine would not
be as much gain as to properly aspirated engine. Meaning, right cam,
good lifters and ported heads. After all your engine will have a lot
higher compression, so your top end should accomodate all forced
induction, and bottom end needs to be able to handle all the power and
higher revs. So crank, conecting rods and pistons need to be
ballanced. and you will need to have a lightened flywheel, hooked up to
8 dowel pin crank.

I would start with stock 1600 dp, with mild heads, dual carbs and
merged exhaust. If you have 8 dowel pin crank you can put lightened
flywheel. With lightened wheel you will have quick pickup.

Hope this helps,
Anton

Old November 14th 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"anton" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I agree with Wolfgang. Hooking up turbo to the stock engine would not
> be as much gain as to properly aspirated engine.

LOL...yeah right.....cc for cc a turbo engine will outperform the NA
engine.....i know exactly how dramatically a turbo can change an engine....i
put several thousand miles on my engine before turbo'ing it.....you will not
get a NA 1641cc engine to put out 138HP@6k and 153ft/lbs@3500rpms NA.....my
turbo engine does....

AWA [OFFER] 20,000 MotorCraft Thermostats RT-1140 [email protected] General 0 December 8th 05 09:01 PM
258 head swap? Steve G Jeep 8 October 4th 05 04:34 PM
beware VW turbo repair scham Ken Driving 83 June 2nd 05 03:37 AM
Forza Car List Rob Berryhill Simulators 19 May 7th 05 11:37 PM
OT - Had a really weird game install problem. elrikk Simulators 3 October 29th 04 02:30 PM