Value of parting out body and chassis

Old November 8th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
j[_2_]

Default Value of parting out body and chassis

So I have had this pristine '72 Standard in storage now for years. This
weekend I am moving all our of the ACVW cars (two Bugs, two kit-cars) to a
new storage place and it got me thinking.

Is it likely at all that someone would want a complete, ready-to-mount '72
body? Or just the rolling chassis, engine and tranny? Might that be a way to
sell it? (Title goes with chassis.)

Yeah, maybe it's a stupid question but net wisdom can be very helpful.

Stafford here - back after a long respite.

Old November 8th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Nov 8, 8:28*am, "j" > wrote:
> So I have had this pristine '72 Standard in storage now for years. This
> weekend I am moving all our of the ACVW cars (two Bugs, two kit-cars) to a
> new storage place and it got me thinking.
>
> Is it likely at all that someone would want a complete, ready-to-mount '72
> body? Or just the rolling chassis, engine and tranny? Might that be a way to
> sell it? (Title goes with chassis.)
>
> Yeah, maybe it's a stupid question but net wisdom can be very helpful.
>
> Stafford here - back after a long respite.

Why not sell it as is, It sounds like a bug that should be put back on
the road.

I have bought a few non-running bugs that might have been worth more as
parts then then the time and money to get them in nice shape and road
worthy.

Where are you I'm sure you could find someone in your area that would
buy it and do the same.

1of the last I saved was a nice 61 beetle that had sat in a back yard
for 10 yrs, it has been driven several hundred miles sence then. And 2
that had engine fires, both are very nice daily drivers and could be
shown.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto

Old November 8th 06, 03:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Remco[_1_]

j wrote:
> So I have had this pristine '72 Standard in storage now for years. This
> weekend I am moving all our of the ACVW cars (two Bugs, two kit-cars) to a
> new storage place and it got me thinking.
>
> Is it likely at all that someone would want a complete, ready-to-mount '72
> body? Or just the rolling chassis, engine and tranny? Might that be a way to
> sell it? (Title goes with chassis.)
>
> Yeah, maybe it's a stupid question but net wisdom can be very helpful.
>
> Stafford here - back after a long respite.

I'd post it on theSamba and see what happens

The trick will be to find someone willing to put it all back together
that is also willing to spend what you're asking. In someone's mind, it
might be a very fine balance because one can find completely put
together 72 bugs for not crazy money.
What kind of money were you looking for?

You can always part it out too. (although that might be a shame, it
being in good condition).

Just my 2c.
Remco

Old November 9th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Remco" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> j wrote:
>> So I have had this pristine '72 Standard in storage now for years. This
>> weekend I am moving all our of the ACVW cars (two Bugs, two kit-cars) to
>> new storage place and it got me thinking.
>>
>> Is it likely at all that someone would want a complete, ready-to-mount
>> '72
>> body? Or just the rolling chassis, engine and tranny? Might that be a way
>> sell it? (Title goes with chassis.)
>>
>> Yeah, maybe it's a stupid question but net wisdom can be very helpful.
>>
>> Stafford here - back after a long respite.

> I'd post it on theSamba and see what happens
>
> The trick will be to find someone willing to put it all back together
> that is also willing to spend what you're asking. In someone's mind, it
> might be a very fine balance because one can find completely put
> together 72 bugs for not crazy money.
> What kind of money were you looking for?
>
> You can always part it out too. (although that might be a shame, it
> being in good condition).
>
> Just my 2c.
> Remco

i think John's 72 is in assembled condition....

John, first welcome back, next the car is probably worth more as is, not
parted.....

Old November 9th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Remco[_1_]

Joey Tribiani wrote:
> "Remco" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > j wrote:
> >> So I have had this pristine '72 Standard in storage now for years. This
> >> weekend I am moving all our of the ACVW cars (two Bugs, two kit-cars) to
> >> new storage place and it got me thinking.
> >>
> >> Is it likely at all that someone would want a complete, ready-to-mount
> >> '72
> >> body? Or just the rolling chassis, engine and tranny? Might that be a way
> >> sell it? (Title goes with chassis.)
> >>
> >> Yeah, maybe it's a stupid question but net wisdom can be very helpful.
> >>
> >> Stafford here - back after a long respite.

> > I'd post it on theSamba and see what happens
> >
> > The trick will be to find someone willing to put it all back together
> > that is also willing to spend what you're asking. In someone's mind, it
> > might be a very fine balance because one can find completely put
> > together 72 bugs for not crazy money.
> > What kind of money were you looking for?
> >
> > You can always part it out too. (although that might be a shame, it
> > being in good condition).
> >
> > Just my 2c.
> > Remco

> i think John's 72 is in assembled condition....
>
> John, first welcome back, next the car is probably worth more as is, not
> parted.....

Oh sorry - I was under the impression it was in a thousand pieces.
Maybe I was just thinking of my 72

Carry on.

Old November 10th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg[_1_]

j wrote:
> So I have had this pristine '72 Standard in storage now for years. This
> weekend I am moving all our of the ACVW cars (two Bugs, two kit-cars) to a
> new storage place and it got me thinking.
>
> Is it likely at all that someone would want a complete, ready-to-mount '72
> body? Or just the rolling chassis, engine and tranny? Might that be a way to
> sell it? (Title goes with chassis.)
>
> Yeah, maybe it's a stupid question but net wisdom can be very helpful.
>
> Stafford here - back after a long respite.

Long time Mr.Stafford, all well??

If you use the word pristine like it should(and I think you do), the car
should be worth quite a bit even for a -72. That vintage are no longer
easy to come by in such a condition..

All the best.

J.
Old November 11th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
j[_2_]

Berg wrote:

> If you use the word pristine like it should(and I think you do), the
> car should be worth quite a bit even for a -72. That vintage are no
> longer easy to come by in such a condition..

Correction: I went to the storage place yesterday and noticed that the
rubber around the windshield is weather-checked, so are the front tires. And
the engine is a cheap rebuild. Bummer. The car is not pristine after all. It
is rust-free, however.

Old November 12th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg[_1_]

j wrote:
> Berg wrote:
>
>> If you use the word pristine like it should(and I think you do), the
>> car should be worth quite a bit even for a -72. That vintage are no
>> longer easy to come by in such a condition..

> Correction: I went to the storage place yesterday and noticed that the
> rubber around the windshield is weather-checked, so are the front tires. And
> the engine is a cheap rebuild. Bummer. The car is not pristine after all. It
> is rust-free, however.

Still sounds like a car worth saving.

J.
Old November 12th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected][_1_]

On Nov 11, 10:27*pm, Berg > wrote:
> j wrote:
> > Berg wrote:

> >> If you use the word pristine like it should(and I think you do), the
> >> car should be worth quite a bit even for a -72. That vintage are no
> >> longer easy to come by in such a condition..

> > Correction: I went to the storage place yesterday and noticed that the
> > rubber around the windshield is weather-checked, so are the front tires.. And
> > the engine is a cheap rebuild. Bummer. The car is not pristine after all. It
> > is rust-free, however.Still sounds like a car worth saving.

> J.

I have been getting in alot of late model bugs and supers that people
want fixed up so they can be driven again after setting for as long as
10 yrs or more. Some have had these cars and know something about them
others get ones like yours and just bring them to me for "What ever it
takes".
Take pictures and offer it up for sale for what you truly believe its
worth,I'm sure someone will buy it as is.
I do not to part out an aircooled VW unless theres no hope of it
hitting the road again.

Mario
Vintage Werks resto