Mud flaps on `05 Explorer

Old October 16th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
holmbrew

Default Mud flaps on `05 Explorer

I bought some mud flap (or splash guards) for my `05 Explorer this
weekend at Cabelas because the dealship wanted $41 a pair and another
$40 to install each pair. I though that was a bit much. But, it looks
to be a harder job than I thought. The front fender does not have a
lot to space to work with when looking for an attachment point, the
rear looks a little better. I wanted them in the first place because
the front rocker panel has taken a beating. I bought the PowerFlow mub
flaps ( http://xrl.us/sad7 ) and they seem nice.

Has anyone installed their own mud flaps on a new Explorer without
fender flares or running boards?

Old October 16th 06, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
C. E. White[_1_]

"Holmbrew" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I bought some mud flap (or splash guards) for my `05 Explorer this
> weekend at Cabelas because the dealship wanted $41 a pair and another
> $40 to install each pair. I though that was a bit much. But, it looks
> to be a harder job than I thought. The front fender does not have a
> lot to space to work with when looking for an attachment point, the
> rear looks a little better. I wanted them in the first place because
> the front rocker panel has taken a beating. I bought the PowerFlow mub
> flaps ( http://xrl.us/sad7 ) and they seem nice.
>
> Has anyone installed their own mud flaps on a new Explorer without
> fender flares or running boards?

I think you made a mistake not buying the Ford Mud Flaps. I have purchased
the Ford Mud Flaps for two vehicles and found them easy to install. They
came with all the needed hardware and good directions. They were
specifically designed for the intended application. The after market mud
flaps I have seen tend to be one size fits all type things with sketchy
instructions that depend on the installer being especially clever at rigging
up work arounds.

Ed

Old October 16th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
holmbrew

Ed,

Yeah, I think you are correct. I will probably buy the Ford mud flaps
when I go to pick up my truck this afternoon at the dealership and just
return the ones I bought from Cabela's.

-Jason