Check Engine Light

Old October 12th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Mark Barrett

Default Check Engine Light

Allan > wrote:
> Hi Folks,

> I have a '99 Ford Explorer XLT 4L, 4WD SUV. 118,000KL on it. Lately I
> have been getting engine ping, especially when entering and going uphill.

I've owned a 95 Explorer for over 10 years and recently I bought
a 98 Sport for my son. (Explorer's can be bought for next to nothing.)
For the 95 I had about 5 check engine situations over a period of
250000 miles. In all cases the problem was fixed by changing the
appropriate sensor. A few weeks ago the check engine light came on in
the 98 and it turned out to be a bad O2 sensor on one of the exhaust
down pipes. In all cases the easiest thing to do was to read the code
which pointed in the right direction. After that a little experience
will help diagnose the problem. I've always used a trusted mechanic
that does not charge me for the code read, just the part replaced.
Mark
Old October 12th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Mark Barrett

Jim Warman > wrote:
> Still trying to recover from turkey overdose, myself....

> Having the codes read is going to be the least painful way of addressing
> your issue.... when I got my licence, cars still had points....THAT'S "old
> school"....

Yes, my favorite of my cars is a 69 Camaro where I must manually
set the point dwell and ignition timing. I never worry about a check
engine condition on that vehicle. However, I only drive it on Sundays.
Mark

Old October 13th 06, 01:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Allan

Vehicles I had but not anymore. 1969 Mustang 351 Cleveland. Go like
there's no tomorrow! 1958 Rambler Ambassador 327ci with Continental Kit.

Allan

Old October 13th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Allan

The code on ours was 301 (cylinder 1 misfire). Pulled the plugs and they
were fouled and wet for some reason. The mechanic asked if the vehicle
burned oil, no, it doesn't. Replaced all six plugs, changed the air
cleaner filter and fuel filter, runs nice now although it still surges a
bit when first starting, that is it drops rpm to almost stall, then
picks up immediately to proper idle. Mechanic said (local small town
shop) that he didn't have the equipment to determine why this was
happening. I'll have to take it into the Ford dealer next time I'm in
the city. Perhaps this is a sensor that is going bad. May have something
to do with the ping too perhaps?

Allan