8X8 steering

Old November 15th 04, 05:29 AM
Rahul Bhargav

Default 8X8 steering

Hi ppl,
I noticed that 8X8 trucks (MAN, TATRA) have 2 front steering axles. Is
that required, or is that just a military requirement?
Old November 15th 04, 06:05 AM
Axel Hammer

Rahul Bhargav schrieb:

> Hi ppl,
> I noticed that 8X8 trucks (MAN, TATRA) have 2 front steering axles. Is
> that required, or is that just a military requirement?

That's absolutely required, a single steered pair of wheels won't pull the
rest of them six into direction. Also decreases tire wear.

BR,
Axel
(btw, try to turn a tandem trailer by hand, you'll see ;-)

Old November 15th 04, 05:27 PM
Ulf

Rahul Bhargav wrote:
> Hi ppl,
> I noticed that 8X8 trucks (MAN, TATRA) have 2 front steering axles. Is
> that required, or is that just a military requirement?

It's better to have bogie axles both front and rear than a single front
axle and a triple rear since it spreads the load better. Obviously, for
an off road vehicle that's essential. There're also places where 8x4 on
road trucks a common (UK?) because of weight regulations.

One thing I've wondered about trucks with two front steering axles is
whether it's better from a blow out point of view. On a truck with a
single front axle the driver is likely to lose control but that's not
necessarily true on a 8x4/8x8 truck. On the flip side, the risk of
getting a blow out increases with two front axles. The question is,
which is better?

Ulf

Cracked Steering Damper Assembly- Be careful Jason 4x4 2 May 19th 04 12:42 PM
Steering linkage prob Richard Cox 4x4 8 March 4th 04 06:31 PM
Land Rover Defender Steering problems Simon Sprott 4x4 0 January 11th 04 08:44 PM