92 XJ power steering hose replacement

Old December 19th 05, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default 92 XJ power steering hose replacement

92 XJ needs the power steering pressure hose replaced. Is this easy to
do?

--
o_o_o_o
/| ,[_____],
|ŻŻŻL --O|||||||O-
()_)Ż()_) ŻŻŻŻŻ )_)
Old December 19th 05, 02:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Yup its a 4 or 5 beer job (one beer per hose and 3 extra's for after).
I suggest you order both the pressure and return hoses before you start,
soak the fittings (both pump and steering box) with release-all (or
equivalent).

I assume your changing the hose's due to them leaking, is the leak on the
hose or at a fitting? if its at the fittings, I would suggest buying the
return hose from the stealership, as the return hose from them (stealership)
will come with the fitting for the steering box, most after market return
hoses are just a length of hose you splice onto the fitting.

I also suggest that you remove the pressure hose (specially if your going to
replace it) when you set about changing the pressure hose, this does a
couple things, first it gives you a little more room to work. second it
prevents you from having to make a temp. repair to the p/s reservoir return
fitting, which happens to be made of plastic.

Unless you live in a warm climate I recommend you try and get into a garage
(heated preferred) as working outside this time of year can be a pain, this
is also not a job you want to do in the rain, even if you have the wifey
outside holding the umbrella.

Oh did I mention I've done this????

Snow...

Old December 19th 05, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Snow did pass the time by typing:
> Yup its a 4 or 5 beer job (one beer per hose and 3 extra's for after).
> I suggest you order both the pressure and return hoses before you start,
> soak the fittings (both pump and steering box) with release-all (or
> equivalent).
>
> I assume your changing the hose's due to them leaking, is the leak on the
> hose or at a fitting? if its at the fittings, I would suggest buying the
> return hose from the stealership, as the return hose from them (stealership)
> will come with the fitting for the steering box, most after market return
> hoses are just a length of hose you splice onto the fitting.

One thing to add.

Remove the old return hose by splitting it carefully with
a knife, then peeling it away from the plastic reservoir.
Pulling can break that plastic attachment.

I made my own return hose with equivalent stuff from NAPA.
Except I made it about a foot longer. The eventual goal
is to install a filter, which will also act as an extra
reservoir and cooler.

--
DougW

Old December 20th 05, 01:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Yes pulling the return hose will break the plastic nipple on the reservoir,
had to modify the return hose and nipple (or lack there of) on my 93.

Snow...

Old December 20th 05, 02:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Well replacing the pressure hose wasn't that bad, only problem was
getting the threads to line up at the box, did not want to cross
thread.... oh and accidentally cutting the return hose instead of the
pressure hose added quite a bit more work. I traced the hose with my
eyes and not my finger so when I went to cut it to get a socket on it, I
cut the wrong hose. Spent about an hour trying to get that out of the
box, but then used a tubing cutter to cut it straight, the cut crushed
it, then was able to slip the rubber hose back over it.

--
o_o_o_o
|ŻŻŻL --O|||||||O-
()_)Ż()_) ŻŻŻŻŻ )_)