1992 Honda Accord Ids Water in the Front bumper a Problem?

Old November 21st 05, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 1992 Honda Accord Ids Water in the Front bumper a Problem?

I added a set of driving lights to my 1992 Honda Accord. I had to
drill into the front bumper which as you know is heavy duty plastic. I

am concerned now that the holes I made may allow water to get inside
the bumper. Is this a valid concern or am I being paranoid. I can't
really seal them up...

Also please confirm... (I checked before drilling) ....according to my

Haynes manual there is NO air bag sensor in the front bumper, the air
bag sensors are in the left and right dash and in the air bag control
unit....no in the bumper...correct?

So my questions again...

1) Is water ingress into the front bumpoer a problem?

2) Please confirm that there are no air bag issues associated with the
front bumper..

thanks

Mark

Old November 21st 05, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Mark wrote:

> I added a set of driving lights to my 1992 Honda Accord. I had to
> drill into the front bumper which as you know is heavy duty plastic. I
>
> am concerned now that the holes I made may allow water to get inside
> the bumper. Is this a valid concern or am I being paranoid. I can't
> really seal them up...
>
> Also please confirm... (I checked before drilling) ....according to my
>
> Haynes manual there is NO air bag sensor in the front bumper, the air
> bag sensors are in the left and right dash and in the air bag control
> unit....no in the bumper...correct?
>
> So my questions again...
>
> 1) Is water ingress into the front bumpoer a problem?
>
> 2) Please confirm that there are no air bag issues associated with the
> front bumper..
>
> thanks
>
> Mark

-------------------------------

You may hit steel when you drill in because the bumper 'beam' is usually
up against the underside of the bumper 'skin'. No biggie. It's just a
rectangular steel tube. The skin is just a big, hollow plastic shell
that makes the front of the car bigger. Check with a strong magnet, or
stop in at your Honda dealer and look at the manual, or go to
sanleandrohonda.com. and look at the parts diagrams.

'Curly'
Old November 23rd 05, 05:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Mark, Water intrusion into the bumper area is not a concern. Water will get
into that area anyway, from rain, car washes etc, since it is not sealed
against water intrusion from the factory. There are no airbag sensors in
the front bumper. If there were, airbags would be going off all the time
when people had minor fender benders, or when they bumped into a wall,
parking post, etc. From what I recall on that type of honda there is a
sensor on the upper tie bar of the radiator support (this is the part that
the hood prop rod is attached to, and that stretches from one fender to the
other). There shoudl also be one sensor under each fender. If you drilled
into an airbag wire there would be an airbag warning light going off, or
should go off, if something was amiss in the system. Hope this helps, Bill