I miss the "old" days!!

Old September 30th 05, 03:51 AM
Michael Sisson

In article >,
says...
> Speaking of Pabst, anyone heard from him lately? I miss the bashing too. <g>

The bashing of what? His period key?

MRSisson
--
LOAD "GPL",8

SEARCHING FOR GPL
READY.
RUN
Old October 5th 05, 03:14 AM
AldoNova

Here's an old story I'm not sure a lot of people know about.

Tom, who had some sort of connections with Sears Point (owned by the same
man who owns Charlotte, Humpy Wheeler) somehow got TEN & Papyrus to allow
(or maybe this wasn't really on the up & up) the NASCAR3 game to be used as
a simulator to design tracks.

He then went out and recruited about 10-12 drivers to race on these track
designs and give feedback by posting speeds / passing areas on a data entry
website. We would watch our replays from these test races and, at various
marker points built into the tracks post our speeds, braking and accel
points, and overall opinions on the track and the passing opportunities at
various points.

He would take that data back to the firm that Humpy hired to design the
track, modify it, and have us race it again.

The two tracks I was involved in assessing were the major mods made to Sears
Point (5-6 years ago?) and a track in England called Rockingham. I believe
that's the track that Zanardi had his terrible crash in a few years ago.

There was originally talk of getting paid to provide our input but that
discussion faded away as did the group as a whole after a few of the
Rockingham tests were completed. We spent most of our time with the Sears
Point redesign.

Damn, I sure miss those old days. The loss of TEN and the NROS sent online
sim racing back into the stone age. I never felt the trade off of the
graphics rich N3 was worth the loss of N2 and TEN. If any of you guys were
there here's a big howdy from BH-Sarc! (Brian H in Michigan).

Take care.

. 97.136...

Old October 5th 05, 05:50 PM
Neil Charlton

"AldoNova" > wrote in message
[snip]
> The two tracks I was involved in assessing were the major mods made to
> Sears Point (5-6 years ago?) and a track in England called Rockingham. I
> believe that's the track that Zanardi had his terrible crash in a few
> years ago.
>
> There was originally talk of getting paid to provide our input but that
> discussion faded away as did the group as a whole after a few of the
> Rockingham tests were completed. We spent most of our time with the Sears
> Point redesign.

[snip]

Zanardi had his trouble at Lausitz in Germany I believe. Regarding the
Rockingham track, you guys did an excellent job. It's brilliant fun to race
on in simulators and excellent to spectate at. I watched the CART race there
a few years back and it was a great experience. Kudos

Regards

Old October 5th 05, 05:50 PM
Neil Charlton

[snip]