One Piece Windows? Information?

Old November 10th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
avalanchefan19c

Default One Piece Windows? Information?

Dear Sirs:

Can anyone point me to any information on the installation of the one piece
window kits for my 72 bug?

I can't find the instructions that came with the kit that I have..

Thanks,

Ken Hamilton

Old November 10th 06, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

Ken here is the article on the install by John S. Henry
http://www.thebugshop.org/bsfqdoor.htm#1piece

however I would advise you to reconsider or at least look at all the
cons of this mod. Also checkout other cars with cal look windows, in
person and upclose, try to operate them too. They look cool, but
operation and practicality wise leave much to be desired.

Hope this helps,
Anton

Old November 10th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg[_1_]

avalanchefan19c wrote:
> Dear Sirs:
>
> Can anyone point me to any information on the installation of the one piece
> window kits for my 72 bug?
>
> I can't find the instructions that came with the kit that I have..
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken Hamilton

If you have not cut anything in/on the doors yet, dont!!
You will never be happy with them, even if you get the latter kit with
molded L/R spec rubber. They leak, rattle and crack! Seriously..

J.
Old November 10th 06, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dragenwagen

Seriously... they look cool, but they rattle and a pain to roll up. Had
them on my 69 and they were a P.O.S.

dw
1966 Type I
http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen

Old November 11th 06, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_1_]

Me three.

Mine were just as described in my 74, and all I
ve seen on other people's cars were the same. NOT WORTH IT.

If these are just nuisances you think you can live with, consider this....:

Before long, your door will start ballooning out, since you had to
hacksaw off the only internal support that keeps the center part of the
door tied together, outside to the inside metal. No matter what kind of
seals you have, they cannot follow the expansion of the door, and you
WILL end up with a big gap between the window and the seal/scraper.
Which, of course, will cause much of the rattle, AND let water in, so
the bottom of the door will rust away and the doorpanel will rot. (Do
you have your plastic cover on between the door paneland the door?)

Jan

--
--------------------------------
Beer is made by fermentation caused by bacteria feeding on yeast cells
Old November 11th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg[_1_]

Jan wrote:

> Me three.
>
> Mine were just as described in my 74, and all I
> ve seen on other people's cars were the same. NOT WORTH IT.
>
> If these are just nuisances you think you can live with, consider this....:
>
> Before long, your door will start ballooning out, since you had to
> hacksaw off the only internal support that keeps the center part of the
> door tied together, outside to the inside metal. No matter what kind of
> seals you have, they cannot follow the expansion of the door, and you
> WILL end up with a big gap between the window and the seal/scraper.
> Which, of course, will cause much of the rattle, AND let water in, so
> the bottom of the door will rust away and the doorpanel will rot. (Do
> you have your plastic cover on between the door paneland the door?)
>
> Jan
>

> dragenwagen wrote:
>> Seriously... they look cool, but they rattle and a pain to roll up.
>> Had them on my 69 and they were a P.O.S.
>>

>> dw
>> 1966 Type I
>> http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen
>>

>> "avalanchefan19c" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Dear Sirs:
>>>
>>> Can anyone point me to any information on the installation of the one
>>> piece window kits for my 72 bug?
>>>
>>> I can't find the instructions that came with the kit that I have..
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Ken Hamilton

Plus the fact the door skin will start to crack underneath the molded
rubber from the flex..

J.
Old November 11th 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
JS[_1_]

I was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on how to go back to the
original look. I put in the cal look windows 12 years ago on my 66. Back
then, I sawed the tabs and just bent them back enough to fit the windows. I
still have the original windows and vents. Can I just bend the tabs back
without having to weld them? If welding is necessary, will brazing be
sufficient? Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Old November 11th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dragenwagen

Brazing require quite a bit of heat and will probably warp the panel. Not
to mention that this is a tight area and a real pain to get to. Also
brazing requires that you clean it up real good as if you dont it will start
to corrode and then your door will start rusting out. I suppose you could
bent the tab back and weld it. If your doors already have rust in the
bottom you might be better off betting a good set of doors that havent been
cut for the one-piece windows. Just my .02.

dw

Old November 11th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dragenwagen

Old November 11th 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Kidd

I couldn't fit a MIG welder nozzle in there to weld it. (back in the
early 90's or so). Not sure if Brazing would suffice.

Jan

JS wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone can give me some pointers on how to go back to the
> original look. I put in the cal look windows 12 years ago on my 66. Back
> then, I sawed the tabs and just bent them back enough to fit the windows. I
> still have the original windows and vents. Can I just bend the tabs back
> without having to weld them? If welding is necessary, will brazing be
> sufficient? Any suggestions appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> John
>

> "Jan" > wrote in message
>
>>Me three.
>>
>>Mine were just as described in my 74, and all I
>>ve seen on other people's cars were the same. NOT WORTH IT.
>>
>>If these are just nuisances you think you can live with, consider
>>this....:
>>
>>Before long, your door will start ballooning out, since you had to hacksaw
>>off the only internal support that keeps the center part of the door tied
>>together, outside to the inside metal. No matter what kind of seals you
>>have, they cannot follow the expansion of the door, and you WILL end up
>>with a big gap between the window and the seal/scraper. Which, of course,
>>will cause much of the rattle, AND let water in, so the bottom of the door
>>will rust away and the doorpanel will rot. (Do you have your plastic cover
>>on between the door paneland the door?)
>>
>>Jan
>>

>>dragenwagen wrote:
>>
>>>Seriously... they look cool, but they rattle and a pain to roll up. Had
>>>them on my 69 and they were a P.O.S.
>>>

>>>dw
>>>1966 Type I
>>>http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen
>>>

>>>"avalanchefan19c" > wrote in message

>>--
>>Beer is made by fermentation caused by bacteria feeding on yeast cells and
>>then defecating.
>>In other words, it's a nice tall glass of bacteria doo-doo.

The average four year-old child asks over four hundred questions a day.