Idle jet on a 31pict/4

Old November 10th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Juper Wort

Default Idle jet on a 31pict/4

> > Jim, i'm convinced that all this time on VZi is getting your lingo to

our
> > way of working...
> >

> HaHaHaHa !!!!!!!!
>
> Been working at it. For studying up,
> I watch all the BritComs we get over here :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Jim

ooo, whadayaget ?

Old November 10th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Juper Wort wrote:

>>>Jim, i'm convinced that all this time on VZi is getting your lingo to

> our
>
>>>way of working...
>>>

>> HaHaHaHa !!!!!!!!
>>
>> Been working at it. For studying up,
>> I watch all the BritComs we get over here :-)
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Jim

> ooo, whadayaget ?

Hmmm

Loads of old re-runs.

Presently:
As Time Goes By
Keeping Up Appearances
Are You Being Served?
Last of the Summer Wine
The Brittas Empire
Keeping Mum

Timeless treasures all...
Old November 10th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Juper Wort

"Speedy Jim" > wrote in message

> > our

> >> HaHaHaHa !!!!!!!!
> >>
> >> Been working at it. For studying up,
> >> I watch all the BritComs we get over here :-)
> >>
> >>Cheers,
> >>Jim

> > ooo, whadayaget ?
> >

> Hmmm
>
> Loads of old re-runs.
>
> Presently:
> As Time Goes By
> Keeping Up Appearances
> Are You Being Served?
> Last of the Summer Wine
> The Brittas Empire
> Keeping Mum
>
> Timeless treasures all...

so thats where they went....

Old November 10th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg[_1_]

Speedy Jim wrote:
> bug '59 wrote:
>
>> > schreef in bericht
>> oups.com...
>>
>> bug '59 escreveu:
>>
>>> Hi Ramva,
>>>
>>> I've been googling my way around to find any pics of a 31pict/4
>>> I don't know where the Idle jet is located on my carb.
>>> The Bug is still running very bad and I think the carb is the culprit.
>>> On idle įnd when cruising the bug wants to die...
>>>
>>> Please can anyone point me in the right direction?
>>> I believe the 34pict/3 is pretty simular but can't find that either..
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Roger

>> On the right side of the carb. I should be e 55
>>
>> Joćo
>>

>> Thanks Joćo,
>>
>> Is that top or bottom, outside or inside. Sorry for the lame Questions
>> but i really don't know. I did notice some jet's on the right side,
>> two of them. Are these the ones? I did blew them through with
>> compressed air last sunday...
>> Tonight I'm gonna buy some (diff sizes) jet's and if the original
>> isn't blocked or dirty or something I will change them and go on from
>> that point
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Roger
>>

> Outside. But from there, fuel travels a circuitous path
> thru tiny borings in the carb casting.
> Finally, it winds up in 4 even tinier portings, just above
> the throttle plate. It is these ports which frequently
> clog with specs of "stuff" you couldn't see by eye.

These are the holes for the progression cirquit, right? If so, should it
not read "below the throttle plate"? Or is my memory incorrect? Anyways,
it was not to be picky, just hard to spot for a novice if he/she was to
look in the wrong place..

J.

Old November 10th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Berg wrote:

> Speedy Jim wrote:

<SNIP>

>> Outside. But from there, fuel travels a circuitous path
>> thru tiny borings in the carb casting.
>> Finally, it winds up in 4 even tinier portings, just above
>> the throttle plate. It is these ports which frequently
>> clog with specs of "stuff" you couldn't see by eye.

> These are the holes for the progression cirquit, right? If so, should it
> not read "below the throttle plate"? Or is my memory incorrect? Anyways,
> it was not to be picky, just hard to spot for a novice if he/she was to
> look in the wrong place..
>
> J.

Yes, progression circuit. The ports are above the plate.
Throttle closed, there is no flow from the ports.
As the throttle begins to open, first one (very small) port
is now "below" the plate and so has vacuum pulling fuel
from the pilot jet.

As throttle plate opens (moves "up"), more ports are
exposed.

Jim
Old November 11th 06, 02:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg[_1_]

Speedy Jim wrote:
> Berg wrote:
>
>> Speedy Jim wrote:

> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> Outside. But from there, fuel travels a circuitous path
>>> thru tiny borings in the carb casting.
>>> Finally, it winds up in 4 even tinier portings, just above
>>> the throttle plate. It is these ports which frequently
>>> clog with specs of "stuff" you couldn't see by eye.

>> These are the holes for the progression cirquit, right? If so, should
>> it not read "below the throttle plate"? Or is my memory incorrect?
>> Anyways, it was not to be picky, just hard to spot for a novice if
>> he/she was to look in the wrong place..
>>
>> J.
>>

> Yes, progression circuit. The ports are above the plate.
> Throttle closed, there is no flow from the ports.
> As the throttle begins to open, first one (very small) port
> is now "below" the plate and so has vacuum pulling fuel
> from the pilot jet.
>
> As throttle plate opens (moves "up"), more ports are
> exposed.
>
> Jim

Yes, exactly. When you said above I thought as in roof, whilst they are
on the floor(If the carb was horizontal.. Which of cause it is not.. My
bad, thinking of horizontal here, as in all the carbs I deal with at work...

J.
Old November 11th 06, 10:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
bug '59

> Yes, progression circuit. The ports are above the plate.
> Throttle closed, there is no flow from the ports.
> As the throttle begins to open, first one (very small) port
> is now "below" the plate and so has vacuum pulling fuel
> from the pilot jet.
>
> As throttle plate opens (moves "up"), more ports are
> exposed.
>
> Jim

Thanks for all the response guy's.
That evening I went to the shop to buy me some jets...
Unfortunately he didn't have had any but i went up reading a book about the
carbies.
I have a 31PICT-4 which is, to what I read, pretty unusual.
The difference (there might be a lot more) is the acc pump įnd on a 31PICT-4
there is
suposed to be some kind of thermo device mounted with a bracked on top of
the carb
pusshing the trottle lever open (like the shoke does) without actually
moving the shoke.
This device is non electrical and is suposed to work on temps below 15 C.
I hope I do make some sense..

Since I'm not able to trace the device down, I've got myself a 31PICT-3.
Smaller pump and without a big brass bold into the reservoir. Is this the
only difference?
Before I change it, I still do want to clean the original up, having had
advice here on how to do it.
And where to look!
Thanks all for your input, it is VERY helpfull

Roger