Type IV engine case sealant

Old October 27th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Henry Q. Bibb

Default Type IV engine case sealant

I'm going to be rebuilding a Type IV from a 914 soon, and was wondering
what the collected wisdom is concering sealing the case halves.

In aircraft practice, one embeds a silk thread in the sealing compound
looping it around bolts, studs, etc, so the sealant isn't all crushed
out when the case halves are tightened. Do you VW guys do anything like
that, or just use the sealant? What's the preferred sealant these
days?

Thanks,
Henry Bibb
Old October 27th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
anton[_1_]

Hi Henry,

Permatex 3D and not a lot of it as case halfs have to be joined with
close presision, and you don't want to sealant to go into the case and
possibly get into oil, block a galley in crank thus causing bearing
failures etc. sealant is applied to the left half where case studs are
installed so that you can cover matting surface around the studs.

Anton

Old October 27th 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Berg[_1_]

Henry Q. Bibb wrote:
> I'm going to be rebuilding a Type IV from a 914 soon, and was wondering
> what the collected wisdom is concering sealing the case halves.
>
> In aircraft practice, one embeds a silk thread in the sealing compound
> looping it around bolts, studs, etc, so the sealant isn't all crushed
> out when the case halves are tightened. Do you VW guys do anything like
> that, or just use the sealant? What's the preferred sealant these
> days?
>
> Thanks,
> Henry Bibb

Loctite 510 or 512 anaerobic sealant, only difference between the two
are maximum temp.Iirc both are well within the limits of the aircooled
T1 and T4 engines.

If you would like to investigate further, pop over to
www.Shoptalkforums.com and enter Mr.Rabys forum, now only an archive,
but plenty of good info available through the search function.

The mentioned Loctite is also what Piaggio recommend for all their
engines, water and aircooled. I use the stuff at work, not a leak yet..

J.
Old October 27th 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Anthony W

Berg wrote:
> Henry Q. Bibb wrote:
>> I'm going to be rebuilding a Type IV from a 914 soon, and was
>> wondering what the collected wisdom is concering sealing the case
>> halves.
>> In aircraft practice, one embeds a silk thread in the sealing compound
>> looping it around bolts, studs, etc, so the sealant isn't all crushed
>> out when the case halves are tightened. Do you VW guys do anything
>> like that, or just use the sealant? What's the preferred sealant
>> these days?
>> Thanks,
>> Henry Bibb

> Loctite 510 or 512 anaerobic sealant, only difference between the two
> are maximum temp.Iirc both are well within the limits of the aircooled
> T1 and T4 engines.
>
> If you would like to investigate further, pop over to
> www.Shoptalkforums.com and enter Mr.Rabys forum, now only an archive,
> but plenty of good info available through the search function.
>
> The mentioned Loctite is also what Piaggio recommend for all their
> engines, water and aircooled. I use the stuff at work, not a leak yet..
>
> J.

I've used Yamahabond #4 on all precision fit surfaces for over 20 years
with good results. I started out using it on bike case halves but I
used it on my bug engine too. The case halves are about the only place
on this engine that has never leaked... It's available from any Yamaha
bike shop.

Tony