when to replace OXYGEN Sensor?????????/

Old October 10th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
dan

Default when to replace OXYGEN Sensor?????????/

94 Exploder, V6/245ci, 106k miles, AC,PS,4x4, auto trans.
Something smells almost like gasoline just on occasion and usually after I
turn the A/C off??????? I've looked for leals, ect-no luck.--Am wondering
if the Oxygen sensor could be involved since it has not been replace (if
ever) in the last 55k miles?????? Probably needs to be replaced anyway??
Any idea where it is??????
THANKS!!
dan

Old October 11th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
94EB4x4

dan wrote:
> 94 Exploder, V6/245ci, 106k miles, AC,PS,4x4, auto trans.
> Something smells almost like gasoline just on occasion and usually after I
> turn the A/C off??????? I've looked for leals, ect-no luck.--Am wondering
> if the Oxygen sensor could be involved since it has not been replace (if
> ever) in the last 55k miles?????? Probably needs to be replaced anyway??
> Any idea where it is??????
> THANKS!!
> dan

Dan:

The vapor recovery canister under the hood is your culprit. It sits
above your left front tire. It is a black plastic box with a vent or
two in the top. Put your nose near the vents when you notice the
smell. Likely it has a cracked hose or is overwhelmed by the gas vapor
from the fuel tank. It is also possible that the solenoid that feeds
the fumes into the intake manifold is faulty and not letting the
recovered vapor get vacuumed out and burned in the engine.
HTH
-steve