Disk Imaging Software

Old April 21st 06, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Default Disk Imaging Software

RAID (not the bug spray)

Old April 23rd 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Ditto. I couldn't agree more.

Old April 24th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

I got one of those too

-Larry

om...

Old April 24th 06, 11:15 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

> I usually create images of windows drives using the linux console. Say
> your windows partition lives on drive C: (/dev/hda1), and linux with
> ample amount of extra space for backup lives somewhere else, you can
> create an exact copy of your windows partition using something like
>
> dd if=/dev/hda1 | bzip2 --fast > my_image.bz2
>

> Once you want to reinstall, boot up Linux and do a
>

> bzip2 -cd my_image.bz2 | dd of=/dev/hda1
>
> please note this is off the top of my head, so some manpage reading
> might be required.

The problem with doing it that way is that it doesn't examine the file
structure on, say, an NTFS partition. So even files that you've deleted
still get backed up. Conseqently, the image file is likely to be much
larger than with Ghost and would probably take make much longer to
backup/restore. Am I right?

AWA [OFFER] CUMMINS INSITE 6.3A DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE AND CODES [email protected] General 0 January 15th 06 10:51 PM
VAG-COM - CORRECT SOFTWARE AND DRIVERS RickT Audi 3 September 8th 05 08:02 PM
New Jetta rear disk backplate Gilles VW water cooled 3 September 5th 05 04:19 PM
OBD-II Software mick Alfa Romeo 11 November 13th 04 12:57 PM
BMW CARSOFT DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE BestAutoScientist BMW 0 November 8th 04 08:02 PM