Wheel swap

Old December 23rd 06, 10:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
lectricmania

Default Wheel swap

Would I benefit from replacing the 185(?) 75 13 's on my 1987 Corolla
SR-5 with the 215(?) 60 15's from a 1995 Saturn SW-2?

Old December 23rd 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
lectricmania

P.S. I realize that this is a Saturn group, and my question is more of
a tire question that involves a Saturn, so I am a little bit off-topic.
But if anyone has any insight as to the tire swap itself, please let me
know. Thank you.

Old December 23rd 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
NapalmHeart

"lectricmania" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> P.S. I realize that this is a Saturn group, and my question is more of
> a tire question that involves a Saturn, so I am a little bit off-topic.
> But if anyone has any insight as to the tire swap itself, please let me
> know. Thank you.
>
> On Dec 23, 2:15 am, "lectricmania" > wrote:
>> Would I benefit from replacing the 185(?) 75 13 's on my 1987 Corolla
>> SR-5 with the 215(?) 60 15's from a 1995 Saturn SW-2?

Do you know if the wheels will even fit? Or is that what you are asking?

Old December 24th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

NapalmHeart wrote:
> "lectricmania" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > P.S. I realize that this is a Saturn group, and my question is more of
> > a tire question that involves a Saturn, so I am a little bit off-topic.
> > But if anyone has any insight as to the tire swap itself, please let me
> > know. Thank you.
> >
> > On Dec 23, 2:15 am, "lectricmania" > wrote:
> >> Would I benefit from replacing the 185(?) 75 13 's on my 1987 Corolla
> >> SR-5 with the 215(?) 60 15's from a 1995 Saturn SW-2?

> Do you know if the wheels will even fit? Or is that what you are asking?

Dang-
I didnt realize Saturn wheels are 15's. I guess that's a good thing.
They look kindof fat compared to wheels on new Toyota's or Mits
Eclipses though.

Hey Lectric - ever decide what yer going to do with that screwed up
motor?
Lower profile tires will give you sharper handling. Possibly a bit
rougher ride.
Also - all bets are off on tire specific rated milage. Using lower
profile tires can
potentially give you shorter tire life - at least that's the Discount
Tire disclaimer.

-Cheers, WaVy

Old December 24th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
lectricmania

Thanks, people. The tires on the Saturn are actually 195/60/ 15's, and
the bolt patterns are the same. The wheels on this Saturn are 115 inch
because its an sw-2 wagon with anti-lock brakes and a twin-cam screwed
up engine that was a killer engine, but mine overheated one time too
many. Looking through the repair logs (car was originally given to me
with 88,000 miles), I found several repair receipts showing that the
car had been serviced at the dealership for having overheated into the
red. That doesn't change the fact that I let it happen once too often,
and that is what toasted the engine. My guess is that someone will buy
it, put a starter motor in it, and drive it with the knowledge that the
engine has communication between the where it shouldn't be between the
cooling system, the oil, and the exhaust
The tire question for the Toyota is now is whether or not the tires
themselves will physically fit into their spaces without restricting
steering due to tires rubbing the car itself. Only one way to find
out...

Thanks again, everyone, for the input.

Old December 25th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Roy[_1_]

tirerack.com lists wheels for both cars as having the same or close offset
so as long as they end up with the same circumference they should work.
ups.com...

Old December 26th 06, 11:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
lectricmania

End of story... The 195/60/15s rubbed against part of the rear
suspension (inner tire) on the Toyota, and the 13" wheels wouldn't fit
over the disc(?) brakes on the Saturn.