Question about gear lubricant

Old October 13th 09, 05:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

Default Question about gear lubricant

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:40:56 -0700, "Ulysses"
> wrote:

>I don't know if the limited slip still is working.

Get on a dirt road, driveway (not a friends, however) and lightly spin
the wheels. That should answer teh question. My (non-Ford) big truck
will chirp the tires on the white lines marking pedistrian walkways at
intersections if I give any gas to speak of when turning. Very
noticable.

>I'm pretty gentle
>with the truck. Incidentally, I'm doing my winter prep now, painting
>the surface rust on the bottom with Rust-Oleum - and the inside of the
>bumpers. Next it's time to shampoo and Scotchguard the interior! - and
>I'm ready for the deep powder.

Come up to NH, we'll give you snow and mud! Free, too.

Old October 14th 09, 07:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message

> Ford Charges around $250 for their nearly useless limited slip. Chevy
> charges the same amount for an excellent locking rear end.

The Chevy rear still isn't a locker... they are a limited slip... they have
been very reliable at getting noisy while still under warranty... and you
will pay for the first diff fluid service out of your pocket.... Whatever
the limited slip option costs... is only going to be of concern to the guy
buying the new truck... Limited slip on a used truck will be a desirable
option... but the lack of it is probably not going to be a deal breaker..

> You pay the same, you don't get the same.
>

> Wrong. Cost is the same.

I'd like to see your citation for that...

> Sure, it's of some help sometimes but get a rear wheel off, or nearly
> off, the ground and you are screwed. Do the same in the Chevy, for
> the same price, and you hear the "clunk" and the truck just pulls on
> thru. It's particularly helpful for trucks that were not set up for
> hard off roading and don't have great articulation, you can leave a
> wheel in the air and still get traction.

The Torsen offers the same result... if you have nothing to use as a
reactive force.... The Chevy diff you are referring to isn't what you are
going to find in a ****ing Explorer equivalent...

> More a case of if you want the most for your rear end dollar get a
> Chevy.

Perhaps you might feel more at home in a Chevy group????

Old October 14th 09, 01:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 06:11:39 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Ford Charges around $250 for their nearly useless limited slip. Chevy
>> charges the same amount for an excellent locking rear end.
>>

>The Chevy rear still isn't a locker... they are a limited slip... they have
>been very reliable at getting noisy while still under warranty... and you
>will pay for the first diff fluid service out of your pocket.... Whatever
>the limited slip option costs... is only going to be of concern to the guy
>buying the new truck... Limited slip on a used truck will be a desirable
>option... but the lack of it is probably not going to be a deal breaker..
>>

>> You pay the same, you don't get the same.
>>

>> Wrong. Cost is the same.
>>

>I'd like to see your citation for that...
>

>> Sure, it's of some help sometimes but get a rear wheel off, or nearly
>> off, the ground and you are screwed. Do the same in the Chevy, for
>> the same price, and you hear the "clunk" and the truck just pulls on
>> thru. It's particularly helpful for trucks that were not set up for
>> hard off roading and don't have great articulation, you can leave a
>> wheel in the air and still get traction.

>The Torsen offers the same result...

Torsen's can be great, at least they don't require friction modifiers,
or clutch packs... The Hummer H1 used Torsen diffs, and drivers are
able to lock all four wheels easily using the brake pedal. (The ABS
versions used the ABS system to do the locking). Work very well
considering.

Dodge uses the Torsen on some 2500 and 3500 trucks (not on the 1500 or
smaller trucks) and again, it works well. No friction modifier needed.
Most Dodge owners don't know about the Hummer driving technique called
BTM (Brake Pedal Modulation) where you force the diff to lock with the
brakes, but it can be done on a Dodge, I have used the trick a number
of times on my 2500 HD 4x4 when stuck in snow. Of course, experience
in doing this helps greatly--having two Hummer H1s has taught me a lot
about using Torsens.

Old October 15th 09, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 06:11:39 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> wrote:

>"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
.. .

>> Ford Charges around $250 for their nearly useless limited slip. Chevy
>> charges the same amount for an excellent locking rear end.
>>

>The Chevy rear still isn't a locker... they are a limited slip... they have
>been very reliable at getting noisy while still under warranty...

We has lots of them in our work 4x4s a few years back and didn't have
any particular problems with them. And we actually use our 4x4's off
the road.

and you
>will pay for the first diff fluid service out of your pocket.... Whatever
>the limited slip option costs... is only going to be of concern to the guy
>buying the new truck... Limited slip on a used truck will be a desirable
>option... but the lack of it is probably not going to be a deal breaker..

Yeah, it's slip is limited to about a quarter turn and then it locks.
After that it's a locker.

>> You pay the same, you don't get the same.
>>

>> Wrong. Cost is the same.
>>

>I'd like to see your citation for that...

Go to ford and Chevy's web sites and do a "build your vehicle" and
look at that they charge when you select their differential options.
Chevy charges $295 for their locking diff and Ford charges $249 for
their limited slip.

Sure it is. ****ing or otherwise.

>> More a case of if you want the most for your rear end dollar get a
>> Chevy.
>>

>Perhaps you might feel more at home in a Chevy group????

Perhaps you need to stop being so childish. If Chevy offers something
better that's just the way it is. Grow up.
Old October 22nd 09, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jeff B

Emailing: www.amalie.com ck this out this will take cars of all
your questions plus never never use GL1 oil ,this is for old trucks and
tractors

"TonyG" > wrote in message
Thnaks everyone.

Based on everythign written here, I guess I'll use it and ad the
additive too, since I have it. Doesn't seems like adding it
unnecessairly will hurt anything.

I did find a very interesting discussion on gear oil designations
he http://www.lubrizol.com/DrivelineAdd...arOil/GL5.html

Here's the difference on GL-4 vs GL-5

"API Category GL-4 designates the type of service characteristic of
spiral-bevel and hypoid gears in automotive axles operated under
moderate speeds and loads. These oils may be used in selected manual
transmission and transaxle applications.
API Category GL-5 designates the type of service characteristic of
gears, particularly hypoids in automotive axles under high-speed and/
or low-speed, high-torque conditions. Lubricants qualified under U.S.
Military specification MIL-L-2105D (formerly MIL-L-2015C), MIL-
PRF-2105E and SAE J2360 satisfy the requirements of the API GL-5
service designation"

I guess either would wok and both are meant for hypoid gears. If I eve
take my Explroer about 60 mph I'm all set :O)

Tanks everyone as usual.

Regards,,
Anthony Giorgianni

For everyone's benefit, please post back to the group

Old November 2nd 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Anthony Giorgianni[_3_]

Very interesting discussion about who all these are different. Who knew.

Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 06:11:39 GMT, "Jim Warman"
> > wrote:

. ..

gear question LeRoy Ford Mustang 0 March 23rd 08 05:19 AM
D44 gear question nrs Jeep 2 September 24th 07 09:31 PM
'92 GTI Gear Linkage Question Dave[_2_] VW water cooled 1 July 9th 06 03:58 AM
question Gas Mileage,4th and 5th gear [email protected] Jeep 9 May 23rd 05 07:01 PM
Gear Set Question SharkMan Ford Mustang 8 May 23rd 05 04:52 AM