2002 Explorer Sticks in 4X4 Low

Old February 12th 09, 03:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Rock[_2_]

Default 2002 Explorer Sticks in 4X4 Low

'02 Explorer Eddie Bauer, V6 engine, 62k miles. I pushed the 4X4 Low
button
one day while stopped. The low gear engaged but would not release when
pressed Auto or 4X4 High. I spent about 30 minutes rocking back and
forth,
stopping, accelerating, turning, etc. before it finally released.

I don't know what finally caused the transmission to release, but I
have not
pushed that button since! Any ideas/suggestions as to what might be
wrong?
Anything that I can do to fix - lube, clean, simple parts replacement?
Thanks....
Old February 12th 09, 04:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bill[_29_]

4X4 Low range is pretty fussy about operated on a high-friction surface,
even for a short distance. It should be engaged only on VERY
low-friction surfaces - ice, deep snow, deep sand - and disengaged as
soon as possible when you have cleared the need, and BEFORE you get back
on a high-friction surface.

If you operate on a high-friction surface and wind up the drive train,
you can back and rock and accelerate all day and not unwind it. If you
turn in the wrong direction, you'll only wind it up more, and the
probability of causing damage is high. If you turn in the right
direction, and move slowly for the correct distance, it will relieve the
pressure on the drive train and it will pop out. Sounds like this is
what you did.

I often thought that if I were caught in this situation, the best
solution might be to jack up one front wheel until it loses contact with
the ground. This ought to relieve the pressure and allow it to release.
Never actually tried it, though.

Bill

Old February 13th 09, 01:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Along about page 156 of the worlds most expensive unread book (the owners
manual, if you will), there is a description of how to get into and out of
four wheel drive....

It requires multi-tasking but is an easily acquired skill, all the same.
Bring the vehicle to a stop.... if it is an automatic, place the shift lever
in neutral (no, not park) and then simply press the desired button....

Yes - I'm an ass... I thank everyone that will take the time to remind me.

Old February 13th 09, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bill Hall

Jim;

"You're an ass! However, it sure is nice to see you posting again! Been
awhile!

Regards;
Bill Hall

Old February 13th 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

Jim Warman > wrote in message
> Along about page 156 of the worlds most expensive unread book (the owners
> manual, if you will), there is a description of how to get into and out of
> four wheel drive....
>
> It requires multi-tasking but is an easily acquired skill, all the same.
> Bring the vehicle to a stop.... if it is an automatic, place the shift

lever
> in neutral (no, not park) and then simply press the desired button....
>
> Yes - I'm an ass... I thank everyone that will take the time to remind me.

There must be many asses here as I suspect that if you hadn't said that
someone else would have, myself included.