05 Explorer Read Axle Noise

Old December 30th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Maxwell

Default 05 Explorer Read Axle Noise

"dicko" > wrote in message

| On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 12:59:58 -0600, "Maxwell" <#$$9#@%%%.^^^> wrote:
|
| >We have an 05 Explorer with 100k miles, and the rear axle is starting to
| >whine, seemingly from the right side. I'm still not certain it's not just
| >wheel bearing, but my mechanic suspects a problem with the differential,
and
| >says they are very problematic on this model.
| >
| >A search on the internet yielded a lot of information on premature
| >differential failures, with widely varied results, and a couple of TSBs
from
| >Ford (05-12-6 and 05-23-3) dealing with the issue. The TSBs cover
Explorers,
| >Expeditions, Navigators, F-150s, Aviators and Mountaineers, built between
| >1997 and 2005. The TSB touts a number of kits, depending on year and
model,
| >and an upgrade from 75w-90 to 75w-140 synthetic lube.
| >
| >My local Ford dealer has quoted $1000 to install this kit, and gives a 12
| >month/12,000 mile warranty on the repair. We are very happy with the
| >vehicle, which is in pristine condition otherwise, and has always been
very
| >well maintained since we bought it new in late 04.
| >
| >My question is this. If the differential is my problem, either now or in
the
| >future, what are my odds the repair will be successful enough to provide
| >differential that will last another 200k miles?
| >

| The repair didnt fix mine. It just moved the whine down from 50-60 mph
| to 25-30 mph.

How many miles before the noise came back? Did you have a warrantee on the
repair?

Old January 2nd 09, 06:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.autos.ford
Maxwell

We have an 05 Explorer with 100k miles, and the rear axle is starting to
whine, seemingly from the right side. I'm still not certain it's not just a
[...]

future, what are my odds the repair will be successful enough to provide a
differential that will last another 200k miles?

Old January 2nd 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,alt.autos.ford
Alan B. Mac Farlane

in article , Maxwell at #$$9#@%%%.^^^ wrote
on 1/2/09 10:59 AM:

> My question is this. If the differential is my problem, either now or in the
> future, what are my odds the repair will be successful enough to provide a
> differential that will last another 200k miles?

bout 50/50 ... most bearing need replacing about 150K miles, but can last
enough to burn out by 200k miles but not a good idea to do that especially
up front.

the killer for vehicles is heat, taking down the wiring, as the insulation
like the seals and gaskets will not last past 20 years ..

so there are re-wire and gaskets kits for Volkswagen's if you like ... and
other vehicles you can just re-build all the time.

Can you get another 100K miles out of it after the repair ... sure.

sumbuddie hopes that helps

Old January 2nd 09, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
dicko