Lawrence KS - Nears ban on ALL cell phones in cars

Old June 5th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Lawrence KS - Nears ban on ALL cell phones in cars

H.B. Elkins > wrote in
:

http://www.whas11.com/news/politics/..._LOCAL_Vissing.
>b5e3ca9a.html>
>
> As for me, I am pretty good at multi-tasking while driving -- I
> routinely talk on my cellphone, change the radio station, take photos
> -- any number of things. Anyone who can't do several things at once
> doesn't need to be doing any of them individually.

EVERY cellphone proponent -thinks- that they are "pretty good" at driving
while using a CP.
The people around them know better.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old June 5th 06, 03:38 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

>> As for me, I am pretty good at multi-tasking while driving -- I
>> routinely talk on my cellphone, change the radio station, take photos
>> -- any number of things. Anyone who can't do several things at once
>> doesn't need to be doing any of them individually.
>>

> EVERY cellphone proponent -thinks- that they are "pretty good" at driving
> while using a CP.
> The people around them know better.
>
> --
> Jim Yanik

Hey, I was pretty good at driving while using a cell phone too. My JOB
depended on it, so I got plenty of practice, for years. I was averaging 80K
miles driving per year, much of it with a cell phone glued to my ear, NOT by
choice. And I still have a perfect driving record, going back decades.

But since our state passed a ban on cell phones, I really SUCK at driving
and operating a cell phone at the same time. I used to hold the cell phone
up to my ear and ummmm, DRIVE. Now I have to hold the cell phone in my lap
(out of sight), shout at it and constantly look down at it to dial, hear
what the other person is saying, etc. It's a major pain in the ass, as
having the cell phone in my lap takes my concentration off the road. -Dave

Old June 5th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Mike T." wrote:

> >> As for me, I am pretty good at multi-tasking while driving -- I
> >> routinely talk on my cellphone, change the radio station, take photos
> >> -- any number of things. Anyone who can't do several things at once
> >> doesn't need to be doing any of them individually.

> > EVERY cellphone proponent -thinks- that they are "pretty good" at driving
> > while using a CP.
> > The people around them know better.
> >
> > --
> > Jim Yanik

> Hey, I was pretty good at driving while using a cell phone too. My JOB
> depended on it, so I got plenty of practice, for years. I was averaging 80K
> miles driving per year, much of it with a cell phone glued to my ear, NOT by
> choice. And I still have a perfect driving record, going back decades.
>
> But since our state passed a ban on cell phones, I really SUCK at driving
> and operating a cell phone at the same time. I used to hold the cell phone
> up to my ear and ummmm, DRIVE. Now I have to hold the cell phone in my lap
> (out of sight), shout at it and constantly look down at it to dial, hear
> what the other person is saying, etc. It's a major pain in the ass, as
> having the cell phone in my lap takes my concentration off the road. -Dave

Why don't you use a proper hands free kit ?

Graham

Old June 5th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

>> But since our state passed a ban on cell phones, I really SUCK at driving
>> and operating a cell phone at the same time. I used to hold the cell
>> phone
>> up to my ear and ummmm, DRIVE. Now I have to hold the cell phone in my
>> lap
>> (out of sight), shout at it and constantly look down at it to dial, hear
>> what the other person is saying, etc. It's a major pain in the ass, as
>> having the cell phone in my lap takes my concentration off the
>> oad. -Dave

> Why don't you use a proper hands free kit ?
>
> Graham

Several reasons, not the least of which is that it's a dead giveaway that
you are using a cell phone illegally. Beyond that, it's uncomfortable to
have something clipped to my ear constantly (no thanks), the good wireless
ones are too expensive, The affordable wireless ones are CRAP, the good
wired ones have the wire dangling (another annoyance I'd rather not deal
with). The best solution I've found is to use the built-in speaker phone on
my cell phone. It's a LOT safer for me to just hold the phone up to my ear,
but then I'd get expensive tickets for that. -Dave

Old June 5th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"Mike T." wrote:

> >> But since our state passed a ban on cell phones, I really SUCK at driving
> >> and operating a cell phone at the same time. I used to hold the cell
> >> phone
> >> up to my ear and ummmm, DRIVE. Now I have to hold the cell phone in my
> >> lap
> >> (out of sight), shout at it and constantly look down at it to dial, hear
> >> what the other person is saying, etc. It's a major pain in the ass, as
> >> having the cell phone in my lap takes my concentration off the
> >> oad. -Dave

> > Why don't you use a proper hands free kit ?
> >
> > Graham

> Several reasons, not the least of which is that it's a dead giveaway that
> you are using a cell phone illegally. Beyond that, it's uncomfortable to
> have something clipped to my ear constantly (no thanks), the good wireless
> ones are too expensive, The affordable wireless ones are CRAP, the good
> wired ones have the wire dangling (another annoyance I'd rather not deal
> with). The best solution I've found is to use the built-in speaker phone on
> my cell phone. It's a LOT safer for me to just hold the phone up to my ear,
> but then I'd get expensive tickets for that. -Dave

I mean the kits that turn your cellphone into a speakerphone.

Graham

Old June 5th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.autos.driving

"brink" > wrote in
:

> "B1ackwater" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 18:01:19 GMT, laura bush - VEHICULAR HOMICIDE
>> > wrote:

>>>Taking a big risk there. If you ever hit another car and kill someone
>>>and the state shows you were illegally on the phone, you're going to
>>>prison for sure.

>> He was making a joke ... about how he now has to be sneaky
>> and break the law - unable to quit gabbing on his phone.
>>
>> Oddly enough, barely a decade ago, people were perfectly
>> capable of getting through their day, perfectly capable
>> of doing loads of of profitible business, all without
>> having a portable phone welded to their skulls 24/7/365.25

yes,and now they scream bloody murder if a CP-ban -while driving- is
considered.
And most of the CP-while-driving is just unnecessary non-business chatter.

> Barely a century ago, people could live without cars...
>
> I use a cell phone while driving, mainly for business. Always hands
> free though. Mainly while cruising open freeway - I eschew talking
> while in heavy traffic.
>
> brink

You forgo talking at your CP while in "heavy traffic" BECAUSE you recognize
it is a distraction that affects your driving.
(most others don't recognize that,good for you!)

On open freeways,there are few "emergencies" or "possibles" that need your
full attention,but that does not mean they don't occur.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old June 7th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

> Laura Bush murdered her boy friend said in rec.autos.driving:

> The problem is that americans are psycopaths who love to kill. Guns,
> cars, abortion, and war. That's what america is about. Kill Kill Kill

That's right, numbnutz. Kill or be killed. Survuval of the fittest.
Darwin at his best. That's why the Germans went after the French and the
Russians in WWI and WWII and not us. Now the Japanese, OTOH were dumb
enough to mess with us and you saw what happened to them (after we
whipped the Germans' ass). That's also what kept the Soviets in check in
the cold war.

--
Aunt Judy defends a known *drunk driver*:

"Almost all vehicle 'accidents' are due to driver
recklessness but the Chappaquidick incident is one
instance where it may really have been no ones
fault except the idiot who built the bridge."
--"Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend," 11/10/2005
Ref: http://tinyurl.com/9jtjt
Msg ID:
Old June 7th 06, 12:15 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

> morticide said in rec.autos.driving:
> Banning any mechanical communication device (including cell phones)
> raises this question...will the cops with their police radios be above
> the law?

According to jaybird, cops are always above the law.

--
"Well, if crime fighters fight crime and
fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom
Old June 7th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Dave Head > wrote in
:

(B1ackwater) wrote:

>>>...and the first police department that tries it will not only be
>>>brought up on criminal charges by the FCC, but civil suits from the
>>>cell phone companies will also fly fast and furious.

>> a) Being THE LAW the FCC won't give 'em any trouble
>> whatsoever (as long as they keep the jamming signal
>> short-range and highly directional. (easy to do)

> Wrong... the FCC doesn't care who you are, you can't jam radio signals
> within the USA, period. Not the cops, not the Feds, not the military.
> Nobody. Period.

Bull.
I suspect the Feds have cellphone jamming gear available so they could jam
bombs triggered by CPs. The Feds and the military can jam anything they
want to.The military uses CP-jammers over in Iraq,so they're in the
inventory.

And any police officer could buy one of the jammers available on Ebay and
use it without being caught.The FCC doesn't have the manpower to monitor or
chase down such things. They're mostly after the pirate radio
stations,which aren't mobile.

> The NJ State Police, once upon a time 20 - 30 years ago, mounted their
> retired radar units out of patrol cars onto interstate overpasses and
> other fixed points to jam radar detectors. The FCC made 'em stop it,
> on the grounds that jamming is illegal in the USA.

Yet now there are unmanned radar speed monitors all over;they put them near
school zones,and police have mobile ones they put where speeding is a
"problem".The permanent ones here in Orlando are about the size of a
phonograph album,with a tiny readout,mounted on poles at the side of the
road.There's TWO on University Blvd in Winter Park near a private
school,one for each direction.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old June 7th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

"brink" > wrote in
:

> "B1ackwater" > wrote in message
>>
>> Call me a pinko, but I don't think "business" is an all-purpose
>> get-out-of-jail-free card. Study after study show that phone
>> conversations are *extremely* distracting to drivers - they
>> get mentally pulled into the narrative, some worse than others.
>> I *suspect* women get more into the alternative universe than
>> men, but I haven't seen data to confirm that. The effect is
>> worse than eating while driving, smoking, listening to the radio
>> or huggin' your honey. Probably the equivalent of a few drinks.
>>
>> In short, I consider celling-while-driving to be a form of DUI.

> Fair enough. I don't think "business" is a magic wand either, I am
> just responding to your assertion that 95 percent of calls are about
> trivial chitchat. I think it's much lower than that.

Yeah? look at how many high school girls have cellphones.
Then there's college-age kids,soccer moms......
It's a lot higher than 50%.

> I'm more concerned with how people drive while talking than why
> they're talking. I figure if they're able to safely and effectively
> navigate their car with a hands-free conversation then more power to
> them.

And when something unexpected happens,your/their attention is STILL not
where it should be.(on driving)
IT'S NOT THE HOLDING OF THE PHONE THAT'S THE DISTRACTION!!!

> I'm good at multi-tasking and am confident in my ability to do
> more than one thing at once, whether it be talking, thinking, or
> listening to music while driving.

YOU are confident,but the rest of us aren't so confident in your ability
WRT DRIVING and CP-yakking.
Thinking,talking to passengers,and listening to music are not the same as
CP-yakking,as a distraction.

> As I mentioned before, the vast
> majority of my in-car calls take place on open freeway; I do a lot of
> long drives on routes like I-5 between LA and Sacramento and I-10
> between California and Texas. During those eight-hour drives I'd hate
> to be incommunicado the entire time en route.

Why? You can't catch up once you get there,or when you tank up or eat?
Is there regularly things SO important that you need to be in the know
RIGHT NOW? While you're driving?

> I won't pretend to have all the answers here and will respect whatever
> laws are in place; I was just in NJ and NYC and was already in
> compliance with their "hands-free only" laws since that's what I
> always use. It was interesting to me that there weren't any signs
> anywhere -- even at state and city borders -- that posted their laws
> concerning this.
>
> I hope if Lawrence and other towns pass these ordinances that they'll
> post their laws in the appropriate places...
>
> brink

CP-yakkers don't get to see their own driving while they're yakking,that's
why they -think- they drive acceptably while CP-yakking.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik