96 Nissan Sentra Oil Pressure Sending Unit PITA

Old March 11th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 96 Nissan Sentra Oil Pressure Sending Unit PITA

Anyone familiar with changing the oil pressure sending unit on a Sentra
?

I'm trying to replace the oil pressure sending unit on a 96 Sentra 1.6
Liter engine. It looks like I'm going to have to unbolt a bracket
which goes up to the intake manifold(?) to get it out of the way so I
can put the socket on. If I remove this bracket, will the engine slump
down? Do I need to support the engine before removing the bracket?

Is there a simpler, easier way to get the old sending unit out and the
new one in?

No room for the wrenches I have. Even if I get the special sending
unit socket for $12, that bracket is going to be in the way anyway.

I watched a mechanic change the sending unit on this car once, and it
took him about 1 minute ! He's not available to ask now, though.

Advice appreciated!

Thanks

Old March 11th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On 11 Mar 2006 08:29:50 -0800, "Caprice85" > wrote:

>Anyone familiar with changing the oil pressure sending unit on a Sentra
> ?
>
>I'm trying to replace the oil pressure sending unit on a 96 Sentra 1.6
>Liter engine. It looks like I'm going to have to unbolt a bracket
>which goes up to the intake manifold(?) to get it out of the way so I
>can put the socket on. If I remove this bracket, will the engine slump
>down? Do I need to support the engine before removing the bracket?
>
>Is there a simpler, easier way to get the old sending unit out and the
>new one in?
>
>No room for the wrenches I have. Even if I get the special sending
>unit socket for $12, that bracket is going to be in the way anyway.
>
>I watched a mechanic change the sending unit on this car once, and it
>took him about 1 minute ! He's not available to ask now, though.
>
>Advice appreciated!
>
>Thanks

Doh, it took me a little bit of time to find my own oil pressure
sending unit. My first *guess* turned out to be the coolant temp
sensor ;-) ;-\

My second test went right to the pressure sending unit. There isn't
anything there to SERVICE. It is just a *replace the thingy* sensor,
and reconnect the wires. ;-|

I have the *workshop manual* on CD. Not the Chiltons (yes i have that
also) but the Motorcraft Service Manual.

It is a lesson: I learn from other people.

Lg

Old March 11th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Caprice85 wrote:
> I'm trying to replace the oil pressure sending unit on a 96 Sentra 1.6
> Liter engine. It looks like I'm going to have to unbolt a bracket
> which goes up to the intake manifold(?) to get it out of the way so I
> can put the socket on. If I remove this bracket, will the engine slump
> down? Do I need to support the engine before removing the bracket?

It's probably just an intake manifold brace; if so, remove it with no
worries. Even if it was a powertrain mount, you just need to put a
jack with a small section of 2X4 under the oil pan to support the
engine while you remove it.

> Is there a simpler, easier way to get the old sending unit out and the
> new one in?

That's for your eyes, skills and tool selection to determine.

> No room for the wrenches I have. Even if I get the special sending
> unit socket for $12, that bracket is going to be in the way anyway.

I think it's a 1 1/16" hex. If you bought a cheap set of deep sockets
from a Harbor Freight type place you could use them for repairs in the
future for near the price of one sender socket.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old March 12th 06, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Thanks for the replies. While looking around at different stores for
the right tool, I came across a stubby wrench, about 6 inches long
which will fit back there. Also found a crow's foot socket . Both
will avoid the need to unbolt the bracket. I'm leaning toward getting
the crow's foot socket, but so far have not found one big enough, the
biggest I've found so far being the standard 7/8 inch. The new oil
pressure sensor I bought is indeed 7/8 inch, but the old one is larger
than 7/8, probably 1 inch or so (as MDT mentioned). The search
continues !

BTW, nobody knew what crow's foot was, at Home Depot ! And only the
old guy knew what a crow's foot was at Sears.

Thanks again.

Old March 12th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On 11 Mar 2006 16:50:33 -0800, "Caprice85" > wrote:

>Thanks for the replies. While looking around at different stores for
>the right tool, I came across a stubby wrench, about 6 inches long
>which will fit back there. Also found a crow's foot socket . Both
>will avoid the need to unbolt the bracket. I'm leaning toward getting
>the crow's foot socket, but so far have not found one big enough, the
>biggest I've found so far being the standard 7/8 inch. The new oil
>pressure sensor I bought is indeed 7/8 inch, but the old one is larger
>than 7/8, probably 1 inch or so (as MDT mentioned). The search
>continues !
>
>BTW, nobody knew what crow's foot was, at Home Depot ! And only the
>old guy knew what a crow's foot was at Sears.
>
>Thanks again.

Yah, ain't it amazing. If the sales clerk knew anything, well they
wouldn't be a sales clerk. I ran into this problem at Sears many
times. I'm in the auto tools section and ask a guy who wears the
Sears uniform, *what about this* and I get the answer: "Oh I have no
idea what these things are for."

If you go to an auto parts store, they know better. Although their
tools may not be better, they get the job done! I have some cheap
s*hit made in China. Works a treat. No complaints, and the price was
right.

Use an adjustable crescent wrench for your *problem.* Just make sure
the jaws remain tight against the item to be removed. It is only a
oil pressure sensor, so it should only be installed at a torque of 14
lb-ft.

Lg

Old March 12th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

some auto part stores will loan you a tool when you buy the parts from
them, they will usually ask for a deposit (returnable) when you bring
the tool back. auto zone for one.

looks to me like most all like replacement parts - should be the same
size.

m h o
*v ƒe

Old March 12th 06, 12:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Caprice85 wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. While looking around at different stores for
> the right tool, I came across a stubby wrench, about 6 inches long
> which will fit back there. Also found a crow's foot socket . Both
> will avoid the need to unbolt the bracket. I'm leaning toward getting
> the crow's foot socket, but so far have not found one big enough, the
> biggest I've found so far being the standard 7/8 inch. The new oil
> pressure sensor I bought is indeed 7/8 inch, but the old one is larger
> than 7/8, probably 1 inch or so (as MDT mentioned). The search
> continues !
>
> BTW, nobody knew what crow's foot was, at Home Depot ! And only the
> old guy knew what a crow's foot was at Sears.
>
> Thanks again.

Both stores are likely staffed by people who have no interest in tools,
sadly. I worked at a Hechinger's for a couple months before they went
out of business (I'd basically quit my job and moved to Virginia without
having a new job lined up, so I had to do something while looking for a
real job...) and I soon discovered that I knew more about the stuff they
sold than some of the managers. One day I was working the commercial
sales register and things were slow, and it was right across from the
hardware aisle. I wandered over, while keeping an eye on the register,
and started organizing the hardware - you know, after enough people grab
a handful of 3/8" coarse nuts, realize they don't want them after all,
and then drop them in the 1/4" bin etc. the whole display becomes an
unholy disaster. You would have thought I'd volunteered to clean out
the Stygian stables from the incredulous tone of voice the MOD used when
he asked me what I was doing. (it wasn't anything that I hadn't had to
do on a smaller scale as a customer, to make sure I got what the hell I
wanted.)

Of course, that probably doesn't help you with your issue... you can't
use a deep socket? is it possible that the old one requires a 12 point
socket? I have seen some like that... can you get an inspection mirror
down to wherever it is to get a good look at it?

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old March 12th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

>>>Of course, that probably doesn't help you with your issue... you can't
use a deep socket? is it possible that the old one requires a 12 point

socket? I have seen some like that... can you get an inspection
mirror
down to wherever it is to get a good look at it?

nate <<<<

I can look right at it from underneath. It has rounded corners. Not
rounded from abuse, but "from the factory" rounding. But it has flat
sides to turn with.

The new sending unit has a regular sharp-corner hex shape to it.