1st Oil Change

Old November 4th 05, 03:59 AM
Dave L

Default 1st Oil Change

Hi everyone,

Question about the 1st oil change on an '05 Accord LX 4-cylinder. The
dealership had an offer w/Quakerstate that said they would extend the
warranty on the engine to 100k miles (I forget the years) if I change the
oil before 4k miles w/Quakerstate. This includes the 1st change. Reading
this newsgroup and other places, I hear you should let it go for what the
manual indicates before changing. To me, the extra warranty would be a
pain - always have to find a place to replace it with this oil. Besides, I
was thinking of switching to Mobil 1 after the first couple changes anyway
w/regular dino oil.

Should I just change the first time @4k miles, or wait until it is a little
closer to what the manual says?

Thanks in advance!
-Dave

Old November 4th 05, 05:22 AM
SoCalMike

Dave L wrote:
> Should I just change the first time @4k miles, or wait until it is a little
> closer to what the manual says?

id wait for the 7500, or whatever the manual says. then run regular dino
oil til at least 15k before switching to a synthetic. or you can stick
with regular oil forever.

just from reading this group, i dont think anyones ever posted about a
catastrophic engine failure before 100k miles.

that doesnt count timing belt or water pump problems, which wouldnt be
covered under the pennsoil warranty anyway.
Old November 4th 05, 02:00 PM
zonie

I would wait untill 5000 and use the Mobil 1

Old November 4th 05, 02:36 PM
TeGGeR®

"Dave L" > wrote in
:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Question about the 1st oil change on an '05 Accord LX 4-cylinder. The
> dealership had an offer w/Quakerstate that said they would extend the
> warranty on the engine to 100k miles (I forget the years) if I change
> the oil before 4k miles w/Quakerstate. This includes the 1st change.
> Reading this newsgroup and other places, I hear you should let it go
> for what the manual indicates before changing. To me, the extra
> warranty would be a pain - always have to find a place to replace it
> with this oil. Besides, I was thinking of switching to Mobil 1 after
> the first couple changes anyway w/regular dino oil.

That's fine.

> Should I just change the first time @4k miles, or wait until it is a
> little closer to what the manual says?

Stick to what the manual says...for SEVERE service.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old November 5th 05, 10:29 PM
Dave L

"TeGGeR®" > wrote in message
> "Dave L" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Question about the 1st oil change on an '05 Accord LX 4-cylinder. The
>> dealership had an offer w/Quakerstate that said they would extend the
>> warranty on the engine to 100k miles (I forget the years) if I change
>> the oil before 4k miles w/Quakerstate. This includes the 1st change.
>> Reading this newsgroup and other places, I hear you should let it go
>> for what the manual indicates before changing. To me, the extra
>> warranty would be a pain - always have to find a place to replace it
>> with this oil. Besides, I was thinking of switching to Mobil 1 after
>> the first couple changes anyway w/regular dino oil.

> That's fine.
>

>> Should I just change the first time @4k miles, or wait until it is a
>> little closer to what the manual says?
>>

> Stick to what the manual says...for SEVERE service.
>
> --
> TeGGeR®
>
> The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

I'll have the first oil change done soon w/dino and switch over to Mobil 1.
Honda oil filter every time, of course. Severe service schedule it is - 4
miles to work gives short distance drives. Gotta make sure I'm taking her
for a run on the highways on a refular basis :-)

Thanks again!
-Dave