opps: anti freeze

Old August 2nd 10, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

Default opps: anti freeze

hi,

i have recently been reading about anti freeze and wonder if i have
done something bad.
put a rebuilt motor in my 96 and thinking dex-cool was better, used
it.
i am now thinking that is not good.

since i am putting in a new radiator, can i flush the block well
enough to rid it of dex-cool?

tia,
peter
Old August 6th 10, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Hal

> i have recently been reading about anti freeze and wonder if i have
> done something bad.
> put a rebuilt motor in my 96 and thinking dex-cool was better, used
> it.
> i am now thinking that is not good.

It's not a good idea in my opinion, no. Use the green stuff, change it
every 2 years.

> since i am putting in a new radiator, can i flush the block well
> enough to rid it of dex-cool?

Yes...BUT...the thermostat will put a serious damper on your ability
to flush out what is in the block. It might be easier to just pull the
thermostat and put your hose bib right into the void left behind, and
eyeball the lower hose until it starts to run clear. Then I would use
some compressed air and try to blow out as much of the water out of
the block as possible so that when you fill it with 50/50 coolant and
distilled water you have as much of the mineral-laced city water out
of the system as possible.

Best,

Chris
Old August 6th 10, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
peter

> Yes...BUT...the thermostat will put a serious damper on your ability
> to flush out what is in the block. It might be easier to just pull the
> thermostat and put your hose bib right into the void left behind, and
> eyeball the lower hose until it starts to run clear. Then I would use
> some compressed air and try to blow out as much of the water out of
> the block as possible so that when you fill it with 50/50 coolant and
> distilled water you have as much of the mineral-laced city water out
> of the system as possible.

yes i started there and then saw some dex-cool dripping out of the iac/
heater hose so i will put the radiator in (no thermo) and run it for a
bit to do a better job of cleaning.

thanks,
peter

anti freeze kay35 BMW 2 January 31st 07 10:12 AM
Anti Freeze leakage CSUIDL PROGRAMMEr Technology 2 October 22nd 06 08:05 AM
anti-freeze for 2001 T T Ford Explorer 1 June 5th 06 02:47 AM
What Anti-Freeze? Joe Saturn 6 October 28th 05 01:23 PM
Spitting Anti-Freeze Jamel L. Raines BMW 13 April 15th 05 01:13 AM