(Non) Height-Adjustable Seatbelts

Old June 6th 05, 10:30 AM
Class 1

Default (Non) Height-Adjustable Seatbelts

Apparently, the seatbelts on newer BMW models such as the X3 & the new
1-series (Europe only) no longer have height-adjustable front
seatbelts.

I recently drove an X3 (fantastic handling btw - ride & handling are
perfect on the standard suspension - drives like a more agile X5 & yes
compared to the X5 the plasticky interior is a joke) and noticed to my
dismay that the seatbelt height is non-adjustable!
This is perhaps the most annoying point on the car since I'm quite
tall, and the belt location on my shoulder feels feels very strange, as
if it's not in the ideal place for restraint during a crash. I don't
think I'd ever get used to the feeling.

The question I want to throw out there is this: Is it true that all new
BMW no longer have adjustable seatbelts because it's no longer
necessary as seat are now uniformally height-adjustable?

OR

Is this yet more evidence of BMW cost-cutting? I like to think not,
since the added manufacturing cost of the belt-height adjustment
feature cannot be more than a few cents + BMW couldn't allow themselves
to be seen saving on safety features in their cars.

Opinions?