Can't latch top.

Old October 23rd 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
S K

Default Can't latch top.

On my 2000 Miata, the left latch clicks into place, but the right one
has not for awhile. But I have never been concerned over it, since the
catch or whatever it is called, never has popped off/out.

Old October 23rd 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Oct 22, 4:45*pm, (S K) wrote:
> On my 2000 Miata, the left latch clicks into place, but the right one
> has not for awhile. But I have never been concerned over it, since the
> catch or whatever it is called, never has popped off/out.

I'm also S K, JazzAzz on my PC :-).

Anyway after posting my last reply, I went out to check for any
adjustment. Can it be adjusted?? The left one not only clicks into
place, but locks, necessitating pushing that button to unlock it.

The Right one does not Lock in place, but fortunately has always
stayed in place. Any suggestion??

TIA
Old October 23rd 08, 06:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article
Jazz_Azz > wrote:

> Anyway after posting my last reply, I went out to check for any
> adjustment. Can it be adjusted?? The left one not only clicks into
> place, but locks, necessitating pushing that button to unlock it.
>
> The Right one does not Lock in place, but fortunately has always
> stayed in place. Any suggestion??

There's an adjustment barrel nut, but your latch might be broken. Here's
one repair tip: http://www.miata.net/garage/top_latch/index.html

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old October 23rd 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Oct 22, 10:41*pm, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Jazz_Azz > wrote:
> > Anyway after posting my last reply, I went out to check for any
> > adjustment. Can it be adjusted?? The left one not only clicks into
> > place, but locks, necessitating pushing that button to unlock it.

> > The Right one does not Lock in place, but fortunately has always
> > stayed in place. Any suggestion??

> There's an adjustment barrel nut, but your latch might be broken. Here's
> one repair tip:http://www.miata.net/garage/top_latch/index.html
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

Thanks for that Larry, but looking at that disassembly (??SP??), I'd
screw it up for sure>>LOL, then for sure necessitating a new one.

I think since the left one does lock, I'll leave well enough alone. I
may go as far as loosening the two phillips screws to see whether or
not I can slightly move it into locking properly. But so far it has
never dropped down on its' own. And even though my 2000 Miata, doesn't
get driven that often (Only slightly more than 32,000 mi.). When we to
go, it is usually a trip to the beach/coast, and that 2>4 1/2 hr. trip
has never caused it to drop off. I do think that it locked at one
time, but then all of a sudden stopped, even if I try giving it a good
palm of my hand, won't lock.
Old October 24th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Oct 22, 10:41*pm, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Jazz_Azz > wrote:
> > Anyway after posting my last reply, I went out to check for any
> > adjustment. Can it be adjusted?? The left one not only clicks into
> > place, but locks, necessitating pushing that button to unlock it.

> > The Right one does not Lock in place, but fortunately has always
> > stayed in place. Any suggestion??

> There's an adjustment barrel nut, but your latch might be broken. Here's
> one repair tip:http://www.miata.net/garage/top_latch/index.html
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

Larry>>I dismounted the latch today to see if there was any leeway in
the way it mounts. There's not. I also checked out the mechanism, also
seeing that barrel adjustment, and wondering what that does, what it
is for. How do you move that?? Do you just take the tip of a screw
driver moving it one way or another?? And do you have any idea how
that should be adjusted?? That adjustment must have a purpose :-). I
lubricated the working, with some vaseline, while in there. Also
noticing how the edge of the release button makes contact with a
certain area of the back end of the latch, adding some lubricant there
also. It appears to be better now, with SOME lock resistance, but not
that much. I can still pull it down without pushing the button. But at
least there is some resistance now.

Just for grins, I'm going to check out J.C. Whitney's site yo see if
they carry them. I have purchased from them, and their prices beat the
heck out of any dealer's prices.
Old October 25th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Oct 23, 7:24*pm, Jazz_Azz > wrote:
> On Oct 22, 10:41*pm, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
>

> > In article
> > >,

> > *Jazz_Azz > wrote:
> > > Anyway after posting my last reply, I went out to check for any
> > > adjustment. Can it be adjusted?? The left one not only clicks into
> > > place, but locks, necessitating pushing that button to unlock it.

> > > The Right one does not Lock in place, but fortunately has always
> > > stayed in place. Any suggestion??

> > There's an adjustment barrel nut, but your latch might be broken. Here's
> > one repair tip:http://www.miata.net/garage/top_latch/index.html

> > --
> > Lanny Chambers
> > St. Louis, MO
> > '94C

> Larry>>I dismounted the latch today to see if there was any leeway in
> the way it mounts. There's not. I also checked out the mechanism, also
> seeing that barrel adjustment, and wondering what that does, what it
> is for. How do you move that?? Do you just take the tip of a screw
> driver moving it one way or another?? And do you have any idea how
> that should be adjusted?? That adjustment must have a purpose :-). I
> lubricated the working, with some vaseline, while in there. Also
> noticing how the edge of the release button makes contact with a
> certain area of the back end of the latch, adding some lubricant there
> also. It appears to be better now, with SOME lock resistance, but not
> that much. I can still pull it down without pushing the button. But at
> least there is some resistance now.
>
> Just for grins, I'm going to check out J.C. Whitney's site yo see if
> they carry them. I have purchased from them, and their prices beat the
> heck out of any dealer's prices.

I called the dealer today. Man, that part is well over $100.00, near
200.00, INSANE. And to have it adjusted, I assume that barrel nut
adjustment, is over $70.00 just for that. Also INSANE. Does anybody
know exactly what that barrel adjustment is for, and how to you turn
it, maybe with the tip of a screw driver turning it in place. And
which way should one try to turn it???

TIA for any help, anyone.
Old October 25th 08, 06:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article
Jazz_Azz > wrote:

> Does anybody
> know exactly what that barrel adjustment is for, and how to you turn
> it, maybe with the tip of a screw driver turning it in place. And
> which way should one try to turn it???

It adjusts the latch tension. If it's too tight, the latch won't go over
center and close all the way; too loose, the top won't be tight against
the windshield header and will leak. It's normally adjusted only after
installing a new top, and doesn't get out of adjustment on its own. If
your latch snaps into place but the button doesn't pop out, then the
Garage repair article I posted is what you need.

You haven't yet told us exactly what the problem is, so our advice is
just guesswork.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old October 25th 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Oct 23, 7:24*pm, Jazz_Azz > wrote:
> On Oct 22, 10:41*pm, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
>

> > In article
> > >,

> > *Jazz_Azz > wrote:
> > > Anyway after posting my last reply, I went out to check for any
> > > adjustment. Can it be adjusted?? The left one not only clicks into
> > > place, but locks, necessitating pushing that button to unlock it.

> > > The Right one does not Lock in place, but fortunately has always
> > > stayed in place. Any suggestion??

> > There's an adjustment barrel nut, but your latch might be broken. Here's
> > one repair tip:http://www.miata.net/garage/top_latch/index.html

> > --
> > Lanny Chambers
> > St. Louis, MO
> > '94C

> Larry>>I dismounted the latch today to see if there was any leeway in
> the way it mounts. There's not. I also checked out the mechanism, also
> seeing that barrel adjustment, and wondering what that does, what it
> is for. How do you move that?? Do you just take the tip of a screw
> driver moving it one way or another?? And do you have any idea how
> that should be adjusted?? That adjustment must have a purpose :-). I
> lubricated the working, with some vaseline, while in there. Also
> noticing how the edge of the release button makes contact with a
> certain area of the back end of the latch, adding some lubricant there
> also. It appears to be better now, with SOME lock resistance, but not
> that much. I can still pull it down without pushing the button. But at
> least there is some resistance now.
>
> Just for grins, I'm going to check out J.C. Whitney's site yo see if
> they carry them. I have purchased from them, and their prices beat the
> heck out of any dealer's prices.

Nah J.C Whitney surprisingly does not carry them. They do carry so
much stuff though. I have bought and repaired a couple of items on my
94 Chevy S10 P/U, saving quite a bit.

Anyway, I made a post here yesterday evening that did not show up,
asking if ANYONE knew about adjusting that barrel nut adjustment
(How). After researching on Google and not finding a thing, I went out
to the garage to experiment. I discovered that the thing (Clip) that
holds the nut into position is a little clip that easily pops off and
is hinged. Turning the nut one way increases the amount of pressure
that it takes to push the latch down, increasing its' hold, and the
other way of course decreases it. I didn't want to make it too tight
for fear of it putting too much pressure on itself or the part that it
latches on to, possibly breaking either one. So I set it so it is firm
enough IMO. This does nothing to the ability to lock in place, but
firmer ought to keep it in place. I also notice that what gives the
latch its' lock ability is the way the inside edge of the release
button, sits against the top edge (Button side end) of the latch.
Greasing that and working both back and forth has appeared to give the
latch SOME locking ability, but can still be popped down without
pushing the button. But still is better (Slightly) than before. Heck
leaving the sun visor up in place, seems to put more pressure against
it than the button does>>LOL. Also I did Google and find one other
place that sells them, but still around $153.00. Now that is insane. I
wouldn't expect to have to pay more than $50.00 or so $$ U.S.
Old October 25th 08, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Iva

Jazz_Azz wrote:
<snippage>
[...]

Have you checked with Planet Miata? IIRC, they quoted me around
$125 for BOTH latches when I was thinking of replacing the ones
on my hardtop. www.planetmiata.com

Iva & Vixen
2004 Classic Red
No more winkin' Miata

Old October 26th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jazz_Azz

On Oct 24, 10:49*pm, Lanny Chambers > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Jazz_Azz > wrote:
> > Does anybody
> > know exactly what that barrel adjustment is for, and how to you turn
> > it, maybe with the tip of a screw driver turning it in place. And
> > which way should one try to turn it???

> It adjusts the latch tension. If it's too tight, the latch won't go over
> center and close all the way; too loose, the top won't be tight against
> the windshield header and will leak. It's normally adjusted only after
> installing a new top, and doesn't get out of adjustment on its own. If
> your latch snaps into place but the button doesn't pop out, then the
> Garage repair article I posted is what you need.
>
> You haven't yet told us exactly what the problem is, so our advice is
> just guesswork.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

Yes, I did, that the latch does not lock in. But I have it sort of
locking in now.