96 Civic DX Stereo Security Code

Old December 31st 04, 03:57 AM

Default 96 Civic DX Stereo Security Code

I'm about to attempt an install of some equipment through my
CD-player/stereo that will add RCA aux inputs (you guessed it, to
attach an iPod...) Before I disconnected battery power and the like, I
wanted to check with anyone on the thread who knew if my stereo would
need me to input a security code upon power-up. I haven't come across
any 4 or 5 digit codes on pieces of paper or stickers inside the glove
box, manual, door, ashtray, trunk, so I no longer have one if I ever
did. I also don't have any blinking security alarm lights since it is a
DX model, but I wanted to check here to see if there was still going to
be a code I'd have to worry about before I attempt anything. Thanks for
your assistance! -Dave

Old December 31st 04, 08:33 AM
daveydave

Hey Clarence,
That's the exact audio adapter I've got -- well the Hon/AUX (pre-98
model) that is. Hmmm... so you didn't disconnect the battery and it
still worked OK? I might give that a shot. Thanks!
-Dave

Old December 31st 04, 03:32 PM
motsco_ _

daveydave wrote:
> Hey Clarence,
> That's the exact audio adapter I've got -- well the Hon/AUX (pre-98
> model) that is. Hmmm... so you didn't disconnect the battery and it
> still worked OK? I might give that a shot. Thanks!
> -Dave

-----------------

You probably have no worries, since there's no SECURITY light on your
radio (no CODE to loose), and as log as the radio is OFF, there's
probably no power at that connector on the back of the radio.

'Curly'

Old December 31st 04, 04:19 PM
jim beam

motsco_ _ wrote:
> daveydave wrote:
>
>> Hey Clarence,
>> That's the exact audio adapter I've got -- well the Hon/AUX (pre-98
>> model) that is. Hmmm... so you didn't disconnect the battery and it
>> still worked OK? I might give that a shot. Thanks!
>> -Dave

> -----------------
>
> You probably have no worries, since there's no SECURITY light on your
> radio (no CODE to loose), and as log as the radio is OFF, there's
> probably no power at that connector on the back of the radio.
>
> 'Curly'

agreed, if there's no blinky, there's probably no code to lose.

regarding switching, there's two power sources. the "keep alive" source
needs to stay connected to ensure a code stays in memory. i discovered
this by retrofitting my old honda with a coded radio. the blinky
security light came on, but power didn't. removing the keep alive fuse
stopped the blinky, but it still wouldn't switch on. replacing that
fuse and repairing the seperate blown radio power fuse had the whole
thing working properly.

Old December 31st 04, 07:51 PM

motsco_ _ <"motsco_ > wrote:
> daveydave wrote:
>> Hey Clarence,
>> That's the exact audio adapter I've got -- well the Hon/AUX (pre-98
>> model) that is. Hmmm... so you didn't disconnect the battery and it
>> still worked OK? I might give that a shot. Thanks!
>> -Dave

> -----------------

> You probably have no worries, since there's no SECURITY light on your
> radio (no CODE to loose), and as log as the radio is OFF, there's
> probably no power at that connector on the back of the radio.

My 2003 Civic does have the blinky, and a security code.
There is a connector on the driver side of the back that remained in place.
There is an empty 14 pin connector on the passenger side where I plugged in
the widget. The ground wire needs to be attached. That might not be on an
earlier model adapter.

There was power applied to the radio. The blinky was blinking, and the CD
eject still works with the ignition switch off.

--
---