'97 Explorer flood caused oil leak

Old May 16th 05, 02:52 PM
Joe

Default '97 Explorer flood caused oil leak

OK, here is my problem. I'm an idiot and accidentally drove my '97 AWD
V8 XLT (which was in great condition) into 2 feet of water and got
stuck. No, I didn't know it was 2 feet, and no I should not have driven
into it not knowing how deep it was. With that out of the way, here is
my problem ....

After cleaning up the car (gutted and cleaned the interior, cleaned off
the mud from the underside) I have developed an oil leak somewhere.
Initially when I got home after the incident I noticed a leak at the
bell housing where the engine attaches to the transmission. Looking
around a bit, I feared the worst - rear main seal. After some more
reading, it sounds like any number of leaks could end up down there.
The leak did stop while the car was sitting, and wasn't enough of a
leak to register as low oil. It sat for a week while I put it back
together and got it cleaned up, and when I run it now I get some smoke
from the engine compartment. I haven't crawled under again yet to see
if the leak is still under there.

Any ideas what the water could have caused? I'm taking it to a shop to
check it out tomorrow. Unfortunately (ironic) I've never had any major
work done on it, so I don't have a "trusted" mechanic.

-Joe

Old May 19th 05, 06:34 PM
Joe

Well, I guess nobody had any ideas, but I was told it was the oil pan
seal, not the rear main seal, and was also told required removal of the
engine, which I confirmed reading through messages. It is leaking at
the back side, right where the old back is rounded. I'm trying some
stop leak, and then am going to switch from 0W-30 to 5W-30 or something
thicker. Hopefully those two things will buy me some time. Also might
try to rig up a small deflector so that the oil doesn't drop directly
onto the catalytic converter.

If I do end up having the work done I can save a little money by having
him go in from the bottom, remove the front diff, rack, and exhaust,
but for the different between $1000 and $1300, I think I'd be better
off going the engine route and having everything done that I can while
it's out. Any recommendations if I go that route? He already
recommended rear seal, and I was thinking valve covers, and not sure
what else would be easy to do at the time.

-Joe

2000 explorer oil leak... Hank Technology 1 April 22nd 05 10:21 PM
Gas leak, caused by? Adonis Jeep 3 March 9th 05 10:18 PM
Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors Chrysler 1 January 23rd 05 06:01 PM
4.0 Head Gasket Oil Leak DougW Jeep 8 December 23rd 04 01:42 AM