2001 Grand Caravan Window problem HELP

Old January 30th 06, 04:10 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default 2001 Grand Caravan Window problem HELP

My passenger window on my 2001 dodge grand caravan is acting very funky, it
goes down but will not go back up without a jiggle of the window itself, if
you jiggle it by hand it shoots straight up strong and solid, but once its
down good luck if you cant hold the window (if it goes down into door its a
MOFO to get back up).

I dont think it is a switch issue, since this happens no matter if you use
the switch on drivers door or passenger door, heck the window wasn't used
that much to begin with (drivers used much more for daily tolls etc) just
baffles me that its acting up like this...

Basically the motor doesnt make a binding noise or anything, its more like
no power then all the sudden if you jiggle the window the power kicks back
in (weird to explain), but not a binding motor working hard type sound....

Trying to figure out what it will cost to fix this if anyone has had a
simlar problem, also should I take it to a body shop or to a dodge dealer,
just looking to get it working again but I am afraid the dealer may get in
there and replace stuff not needed and id have a $900 bill or something but
i maybe giving them a bad rap here (never been to their dealership and they
are a 5 star dealer) so maybe they would do me right, just dont want to get
a shovel full of crap and have to eat a huge bill if there is only one thing
they need to adjust or replace (yet i dont know electric window stuff parts
and repair wise) so i feel like i could be taken to the cleaners on it...

Dealer will charge me to figure out what is wrong with it, then take that
off the bill they said once they know if i want the work done, but i have
not called a bodyshop yet, guessing hoping maybe with some help here from
other owners i might know more walking in as to say look at this or that or
i think it might be this or that (and not seem to be just a walking dollar
sign to the repair shop)....

Any info greatly appreciated when it comes to power door windows on a grand
caravan like mine acting this way as to what to expect, look at etc.

Bill

Old January 30th 06, 05:56 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

i had a similar problem with my GMC Safari Van. It turned out that I
had a worn out electric motor. I bought it from ebay for $15. It is not
bad for waiting 3 days to get it and not using the window.

The power windor has a straight forward mechanism. open the door panel
and see whatis there. If the tracks are ok, then change the motor.

becareful about the sharp edge of the door since you can cut your hand
easily. Take the insulating cover intact in a good shape to put it
back.

Old January 30th 06, 07:55 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

"Bill" > wrote in message
> My passenger window on my 2001 dodge grand caravan is acting very funky,

it
> goes down but will not go back up without a jiggle of the window itself,

if
> you jiggle it by hand it shoots straight up strong and solid, but once its
> down good luck if you cant hold the window (if it goes down into door its

> MOFO to get back up).
>
> I dont think it is a switch issue, since this happens no matter if you use
> the switch on drivers door or passenger door, heck the window wasn't used
> that much to begin with (drivers used much more for daily tolls etc) just
> baffles me that its acting up like this...
>
> Basically the motor doesnt make a binding noise or anything, its more like
> no power then all the sudden if you jiggle the window the power kicks back
> in (weird to explain), but not a binding motor working hard type sound....
>
> Trying to figure out what it will cost to fix this if anyone has had a
> simlar problem, also should I take it to a body shop or to a dodge dealer,
> just looking to get it working again but I am afraid the dealer may get in
> there and replace stuff not needed and id have a $900 bill or something

but
> i maybe giving them a bad rap here (never been to their dealership and

they
> are a 5 star dealer) so maybe they would do me right, just dont want to

get
> a shovel full of crap and have to eat a huge bill if there is only one

thing
> they need to adjust or replace (yet i dont know electric window stuff

parts
> and repair wise) so i feel like i could be taken to the cleaners on it...
>
> Dealer will charge me to figure out what is wrong with it, then take that
> off the bill they said once they know if i want the work done, but i have
> not called a bodyshop yet, guessing hoping maybe with some help here from
> other owners i might know more walking in as to say look at this or that

or
> i think it might be this or that (and not seem to be just a walking dollar
> sign to the repair shop)....
>
> Any info greatly appreciated when it comes to power door windows on a

grand
> caravan like mine acting this way as to what to expect, look at etc.
>
> Bill

Chrysler cant build a decent window regulator assembly. The motor is bad,
You can get the updated part thru the dealer, I think its about $130 but not
sure And that is complete motor and regulator.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old January 31st 06, 02:09 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Glenn,

Thanks for the response you were right on...

Got the call from dealer, part is $130 but it is the addon of labor that
sorta sours the deal
1.3 hours @ $107 total so it will be about $240 total bill

Forgot to ask how long this will be under warranty (or at least the part
itself).. but it will be nice to have a
working window again so I said just do it up and my visa will love me even
more...

Bill

Old January 31st 06, 10:59 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge

"Bill" > wrote in message
. ..
> Glenn,
>
> Thanks for the response you were right on...
>
> Got the call from dealer, part is $130 but it is the addon of labor that
> sorta sours the deal
> 1.3 hours @ $107 total so it will be about $240 total bill
>
> Forgot to ask how long this will be under warranty (or at least the part
> itself).. but it will be nice to have a
> working window again so I said just do it up and my visa will love me even
> more...
>
> Bill
>

> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >
> > Chrysler cant build a decent window regulator assembly. The motor is

bad,
> > You can get the updated part thru the dealer, I think its about $130 but

> not
> > sure And that is complete motor and regulator.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

If the dealer installs, the warranty is 12 months/12000 miles
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old February 1st 06, 12:34 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:10:19 -0500, Bill wrote:

> My passenger window on my 2001 dodge grand caravan is acting very funky, it
> goes down but will not go back up without a jiggle of the window itself, if
> you jiggle it by hand it shoots straight up strong and solid, but once its
> down good luck if you cant hold the window (if it goes down into door its a
> MOFO to get back up).
>
> I dont think it is a switch issue, since this happens no matter if you use
> the switch on drivers door or passenger door, heck the window wasn't used
> that much to begin with (drivers used much more for daily tolls etc) just
> baffles me that its acting up like this...
>
> Basically the motor doesnt make a binding noise or anything, its more like
> no power then all the sudden if you jiggle the window the power kicks back
> in (weird to explain), but not a binding motor working hard type sound....
>
> Trying to figure out what it will cost to fix this if anyone has had a
> simlar problem, also should I take it to a body shop or to a dodge dealer,
> just looking to get it working again but I am afraid the dealer may get in
> there and replace stuff not needed and id have a $900 bill or something but
> i maybe giving them a bad rap here (never been to their dealership and they
> are a 5 star dealer) so maybe they would do me right, just dont want to get
> a shovel full of crap and have to eat a huge bill if there is only one thing
> they need to adjust or replace (yet i dont know electric window stuff parts
> and repair wise) so i feel like i could be taken to the cleaners on it...
>
> Dealer will charge me to figure out what is wrong with it, then take that
> off the bill they said once they know if i want the work done, but i have
> not called a bodyshop yet, guessing hoping maybe with some help here from
> other owners i might know more walking in as to say look at this or that or
> i think it might be this or that (and not seem to be just a walking dollar
> sign to the repair shop)....
>
> Any info greatly appreciated when it comes to power door windows on a grand
> caravan like mine acting this way as to what to expect, look at etc.
>
> Bill

my '92 does the same thing, up or down.

don't put the window all the way up or down is the cheap fix...

--
A young girl I know told me I drive like an old man

I told her, actually, I drive like Mario Andretti.
It's just that too many other people on the road
drive like Paul Tracy...

2000 Honda Civic Vtec Sport Window Seal Problem shelle Honda 1 January 21st 06 03:40 PM
Power window operation Daniel Armstrong Chrysler 8 December 24th 05 03:47 PM
Chrysler power window problem Ed Dodge 4 April 17th 05 07:36 AM
2001 Buick Century Power Window not Working [email protected] Technology 1 January 29th 05 02:23 AM
2001 Ford Mustang - Passenger Window Lewis Ford Mustang 0 November 27th 04 11:41 PM