door adjustment

Old May 7th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default door adjustment

I put new hinge pins and bushings on the driver's door of my '94 XL. The
door is nice and tight on the hinges now but doesn't latch quite right.
How do I adjust this? Adjust at the latch or latch pin or do I adjust
the hinge mounting bolts? Thanks.
Old May 10th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

How does the door look in the frame? My guess is you took the hinges
out to rebuild them. Concentrate on the hinges. Also consider that a
previous owner or mechanic adjusted the striker pin to compensate for
worn out hinges.

My suggestion would be to take the striker pin out completely and close
the door. Look at how it sit's in the truck and adjust the hinges at
the door and door frame until it sit's right in the chassis <= reference
the body lines. Then put the striker pin back in and adjust the pin and
latch assembly until it closes effortlessly. Plan a couple of hours and
a friends help.

KAM.

Old May 10th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Madmax wrote:
> How does the door look in the frame? My guess is you took the hinges
> out to rebuild them. Concentrate on the hinges. Also consider that a
> previous owner or mechanic adjusted the striker pin to compensate for
> worn out hinges.
>
> My suggestion would be to take the striker pin out completely and close
> the door. Look at how it sit's in the truck and adjust the hinges at
> the door and door frame until it sit's right in the chassis <= reference
> the body lines. Then put the striker pin back in and adjust the pin and
> latch assembly until it closes effortlessly. Plan a couple of hours and
> a friends help.
>
> KAM.
>
> Bob wrote:
>
>> I put new hinge pins and bushings on the driver's door of my '94 XL.
>> The door is nice and tight on the hinges now but doesn't latch quite
>> right. How do I adjust this? Adjust at the latch or latch pin or do I
>> adjust the hinge mounting bolts? Thanks.

Thanks! I followed your suggestions and now the door closes like a bank
vault.