Repair AutoHubs on '91-'94?

Old January 24th 05, 08:19 PM
Ulysses

I LIKE the autohubs just fine when they are working but they tend to quit
working rather suddenly with no warning (not that I could tell anyway). We
bought both of our Explorers used to I suspect the previous owners may have
mistreated the hubs possibly leading to failure. But since so many people's
autohubs have failed maybe they all fail after a time.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about "three degrees of freedom." Do you
mean that there is 3 degrees of play between the hubs and the axle before
they engage, or is this an esoteric philosophical zen kind of thing where
the hubs reach different levels of conscienceness? Or perhaps I need to
achieve the next level of conscienceness in order to understand the hubs?
If a hub locks on an axle, and nobody hears it, did it really lock?

Are you able to identify worn or faulty parts within the autohubs and repair
them? I had a part that goes on the axle that the hub fingers fit into that
was cracked. I replaced it and it made no difference. I cleaned the hell
out of the mechanisms inside the hubs and still no difference. I can see
nothing (else) that is worn or broken. Are they subject to very close
tolerances that need to be measured with a micrometer etc?

lkaboutautos.com...

Old January 26th 05, 05:20 AM
Professor3700

You are asking more questions than I have answers at the moment. I haven't
taken my autohubs apart yet but I expect to in the next few weeks. At that
time, I suspect I'll know a lot more.

Three degrees of freedom - well you have the axel shaft rotation, the
wheel rotation, aqnd the stationary hub. The rotational relationship
between all three determines the behavior of the hub.
Very difficult to visualize unless you do this sort of thing all the
time.

I suspect theat there are wear parts - but again, I'll know a lot more in
a few weeks. I'll let you know what I find.

Old January 30th 05, 07:14 AM
Jim Warman

Professor is, obviously, well versed in academia as applied to physical
states..... His three degrees refer to the different conditions met at your
front hubs. The spindle is a constant.... it does not rotate. The drive axle
can either remain stationary, rotate faster than the wheel assembly or
rotate slower than the wheel assembly. The wheel assembly can rotate faster
than the axle or slower than the axle.... again, the spindle remains
stationary.....

There is nothing magical about mechanical actions. There are many things
that the engineers have devised that are nothing less than amazing but logic
is the driving factor in all of these forces (things change when electronics
are introduced).

There ae many pattern failures regarding te early Explorers.... it is not
uncommon to find someone bound and determined to reinvent the wheel. While
simply replacing the offending assembly is quite easy, many prefer to avoid
contact with their family and spend time finding out what so many before
them have learned... it ain't worth the time...Bite the bullet, replace the
hubs and go smoosh up to your loving bride...

Yea... I said "smoosh"...

Old February 1st 05, 04:15 AM
Ulysses

I thought it may have been worth a shot to see if the autohubs could be
repaired but I did like you said and put on Warn manuals and went and
smooshed my wife (at least I think it was smooshing). Now I seem to have
4WD only sometimes on my '92. There is a lot of play on the drivers side
front axle and it goes "clunk" while making left turns in 4WD. It seems
like sometimes only one of the front wheels is engaged and it seems to vary.
Too much play in something in the front differential perhaps? Or maybe I
just need new wheel bearings? They looked OK when I replaced the hubs but I
neglected to check for play in the bearings (rush job).

Nose repair Morien Morgan Mazda 0 September 10th 04 10:22 PM
Advice Please! Car Repair Rip-Off! Police Involvement? Bill General 0 September 2nd 04 06:13 PM
Consumer Advocacy Organization Takes Aim at Auto Repair Shop Rip-offs. Please Help! Kenneth Brotman 4x4 2 January 6th 04 06:21 PM